Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion Opposing section 8 housing is racist?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Here's the thing, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:31 PM.

1. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

It's a 3rd rail because no politician wants to touch the issue.

That's why it's a 3rd rail.

Do you know of any politicians that campaign on really fixing this issue?

2. blaseblah Steel Belt

Sanders

3. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

Who are they?

You seem to really be well versed in this particular issue.

Who is at fault then?

That's probably difficult to pin down specifically.
    You'd have to go back to Carter and Reagan eras for some of that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:44 PM
  4. Seano Hands of bone

Poor kids need housing just like white kids.

5. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

In his many years of public service, this was a priority for him?

6. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

There are plenty of white kids that are poor.
    I agree, they need housing.

All poor kids need housing.

7. Seano Hands of bone

8. blaseblah Steel Belt

As part of his campaign he was going to legalize marijuana and use the taxes to put the money back into the communities most affected by the war on drugs.

9. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

You are the perfect person for this topic.

Do you have any thoughts on racial steering?
    How much of that is a factor in this over time?

I realize this will vary in different areas.

10. Oliver C. Black Belt Platinum Member

As bad as it is here in California, I still believe in local control on issues like this.

11. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

I got you!

I forgot about that video.
    There's so much Biden gold.

Sorry I didn't get it when you posted before.

Seano likes this.
  12. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I know plenty of politicians who have campaigned about the problems with the way we treat drug crimes and sentencing. This past election cycle, quite a few of them openly campaigned on the issue. Both parties covered this issue during the 2016 Presidential campaign and the 2018 mid terms.

This is a fairly public subject these days.

TeTe likes this.
  13. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

Did he do anything along those lines while serving in his current capacity?

He's had many years to lay some ground work in his own state if he had good ideas.

At least in moving money into the communities most affected by the war on drugs, not necessarily legalizing marijuana.

Whether marijuana were legal or not, there would be ways, as a Senator that he could influence moving tax dollars to help those affected communities.

14. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Those people meaning those people who think this is a 3rd rail when most of America is openly talking about it. The only people who seem to avoid the subject tend to be people who also like to avoid the historical record.

TeTe and Pullmyfinger like this.
  15. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

No, I meant those people (politicians) that were responsible for CIA and Central America.

I should have clarified that.

That's what I meant when I said we would have to look back at Carter and Reagan administrations.

16. blaseblah Steel Belt

https://vermontbiz.com/news/august/black-americans-better-vermont-most-states

Pullmyfinger likes this.
  17. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's a huge factor for the reasons I mentioned previously. Steering people into lower value neighborhoods is bad but it's the lost value, based on lower equity, that becomes the real problem. Remember, home equity is approximately 70% of the average American's net worth. Steering people into low value neighborhoods is steering them into a lower lifetime net worth and all of the issues that go with that.

Also, I think people overstate the general Section 8 issue. No one puts low income Section 8 housing into a good neighborhood. And people who complain about that possibility don't seem to understand the economics. If an individual buys a high value property then they're going to try and maximize rental value. Section 8 tenants don't maximize rental value so no one intelligent would do that. If the neighborhood is good, you'll have more competitive rent options or you can get an attractive sales price.

Now, the real debate happens when someone thinks they're in a better neighborhood than they really are. In those neighborhoods, an investor can acquire properties that are low enough in value to justify Section 8. But, again, they're still trying to maximize rental value. You don't put in Section 8 tenants unless the neighborhood can't support higher rents on its own or there's not much value in simply selling it and moving on. The issue is that the neighbors see the Section 8 tenant and think that the Seciton 8 tenant is driving down property values. But they're too close to the neighborhood, they don't understand that already dropping property value is what made the neighborhood attractive for a Section 8 landlord in the first place.

Think about it like a girl who used to be slim and gradually blows up in weight. When her boyfriend leaves her for a slim chick, the fat girl blames the slim chick for stealing her man, without realizing that her gradual weight increase is what made the new chick so appealing. But, of course, she's too close to the situation to realize she was letting herself go.

That's the mistake many of these people make. They see the Section 8 tenant and think it's the cause, when it's really the result of an already worsening neighborhood.

Pullmyfinger likes this.
  18. Pullmyfinger Yellow Belt Platinum Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give your thoughts on that. This thread has been interesting to dig into.
    Your perspective, given your profession, is valuable.

I appreciate it very much.

panamaican likes this.
  19. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB113/north06.pdf

There are people who insist that these things didn't happen. As for who was responsible, it's a pretty complex situation. In some cases, humanitarian aid was paid to drug traffickers when those traffickers were also rebels. In other cases, drug traffickers were protected because the drug traffickers were funding rebellions. In other cases, large drug operations were allowed to grow to help other foreign policy goals, such as destabilizing an enemy or stabilizing a new government (such as in Panama).

TeTe likes this.
  20. MMABrooklyn Brown Belt

If people need affordable homes, as this wealth gap continue to grow, I don't care about property value.

Both parties been hostile to Black Americans throughout history.

Pullmyfinger and skysolo like this.