Opinion Opposing section 8 housing is racist?

yes opposing social welfare that benefits POC far more than white people, is racist.

The section 8 folks were all the same, littered constantly, I mean they would just open their car door and throw their garbage on the street. Noise, my God, they would blast music, have parties, invite over ten friends every day. None of them worked! It was insane, and if they did work it was of course a home auto body shop which meant 8 cars parked all across the street so you couldn’t park anywhere. They never even attempted to be friendly or anything, just awful in every sense.

anyone who supports section 8 has never ever lived amongst those people, and you all know the people im talking about. A bunch of Swedes didn’t ruin my neighborhood.
I spent three years volunteering at a non-profit that was all about helping poor people better themselves. Most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life.

Racism or the color of their skin had nothing to do with their lack of success. They were simply not willing to work hard, sacrifice and better themselves, even when you offered them a complete road map to success that didn't cost them a single penny. Laziest bunch of people ever. They had excuses for everything on why what you offered would not work for them.

Meanwhile, you would sit down with an immigrant who barely spoke english, from some war torn shithole country, who just a few months ago was suffering from some real shit and didn't even know if they would be alive if they couldn't get out (not, oh my parents 50 years ago suffered racism) and in less than a year they would have their shit together, start prospering and no doubt in the future their kids will become doctors, engineers, scientists etc.....

In one generation the families of these people are going to go from being poor as shit, to upper middle class.

I am all about offering help and opportunities for those that are less fortunate and have to start life at the bottom rungs, but if they make the choice of not being willing to work hard, sacrifice and help themselves, fuck them.
Both of these post are spot on.

My old neighbhorhood there would be 6 able bodied adults crammed into a cheap rent house and they would all complain "uhhh we have no money" (half of them didn't work and the other half blew money on any materialistic item possible). When you have 6 adults living in a 1200 dollar a month house and "we have no money", race isn't the issue.

Culture like you guys have said is a large part of it. Being a bum, throwing house parties, getting child support is all "cool". Hell it's culturally acceptable for a grown ass adult to tell another grown adult "so whose place you staying at these days" (translation: "who are you bumming off of these days"). And they wonder why they never prosper ?

If the housing crisis is real, it means that you really can't afford to live there.

You're out of your depth in this conversation. I welcome debate but you clearly have nothing to offer on this topic.

It’s such a complex issue...
Both sides have a logical and reasonable argument...
On one hand, I’ve seen exactly what happens to an area when section 8 housing is inaction...it’s bad, real bad. Honestly,I wouldn’t live close to it.

on the other hand, cost of living and greed have made It impossible for low income people to afford quality housing.

The answer is somewhere in the middle in my opinion.

section 8 qualification should come with stipulation and requirements. Routine property assessments, loss of section 8 qualification for felony convictions DURING section 8 occupancy, a regulation on how many section 8 properties allotted per square mile. A record of gain full employment and routine audits of section 8 beneficiaries finances.

Renters rights, regulate eviction Laws for landlords who evict for higher profit. Investments in MORE housing in general.simply put there is an artificial demand because there is an artificial supply. Developers aren’t making enough houses because why build 100 houses that sell for 100,000 when you can make 10 that sell for 1,000,000. I see it everyday (I’m a commercial construction superintendent/project manager). Which goes into a broader problem..workers rights..wage stagnation, affordable healthcare,etc.

the problem is so much deeper then just affordable housing...it’s affordable everything.

I’m just spitballing here so feel free to blast my ideas in the water..but this is definitely a conversation that needs to be had.
There's definitely an affordable housing supply problem in western countries, including Canada and Europe. I've lived in rich places in Asia and cheap housing gets built there all the time. You see 10 story apartment buildings with cheap, tiny studios that are just generic steel frames filled with concrete. Then they get some fake marble exterior or something so they look nice instead of like 10 stories of concrete. They go up in like 3 weeks and rent, even in places where income levels match America, is like $300-$500. You never see anything like this built in America. How come developers can't build these all over the place in American cities where 'cheap studios' are like 5+ times the price?

Last edited:
You've said nothing of substance. If you actually want to be informed you can start by reading this wiki and the related links:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_housing_shortage
I've focused on the only thing of substance which is money.
I don't need to read it, I know what a housing shortage is. We're experiencing it in Toronto for the past 5-6 years, sure the prices aren't as inflated as it is in Cali, but if you or anyone else is complaining about the cost it's cause realistically you can't afford to live there and should move somewhere else.

I've focused on the only thing of substance which is money.
I don't need to read it, I know what a housing shortage is. We're experiencing it in Toronto for the past 5-6 years, sure the prices aren't as inflated as it is in Cali, but if you or anyone else is complaining about the cost it's cause realistically you can't afford to live there and should move somewhere else.

"Derp, derp, just move out"

I'm not talking about myself, genius. The current housing situation is not sustainable. It's a massive issue.

"Derp, derp, just move out"

I'm not talking about myself, genius. The current housing situation is not sustainable. It's a massive issue.
It's good that you're not talking about yourself, but the prices aren't going to come down. One solution is for those who can't afford to be there to move on, weather you like it or not. What's your solution?

I would make it out of whatever the cheapest durable building material was. I was thinking concrete, but if there is something cheaper and more durable than concrete, use that. Concrete cinder blocks are used for department stores and gas stations. They aren't fancy, but they get the job done. I would design the units to be cheap, durable, and safe, but not luxurious. I would locate the government housing far away so that it wouldn't hurt the property values of anything nearby. I would build government housing next to landfills, prisons, or places like that. Places that people don't want to live so that the only people accepting government housing were those that really needed it.
Contrary to what people think, concrete and steel reinforcement is incredibly expensive. What you make up in material you’ll lose in labor cost.
They actually already did what you proposed. The project housing of new York. It isn’t enough though.. the supply is to short. In 20 years from now at the rate things are going, the riff raff won’t be the only ones living in gov subsidized living...it will be the medium middle class and lower. Until that happens ,then and only then will people realize the real estate/property flip/investment property racquet is exploited by many as well as artificial low supply of housing.

Never made any sense to me.

Let's just stay in a place we can't afford, bitch about it ever single day and hurt ourselves financially, instead of being proactive, moving some place we can afford, and living a better life financially which means a much better future.

Nope, not going to improve my situation, just going to bitch about it and become poor, lol.

There are many, many, many places I can't afford to live or buy a house at..... oh well, not a big deal.

Both of these post are spot on.

My old neighbhorhood there would be 6 able bodied adults crammed into a cheap rent house and they would all complain "uhhh we have no money" (half of them didn't work and the other half blew money on any materialistic item possible). When you have 6 adults living in a 1200 dollar a month house and "we have no money", race isn't the issue.

Culture like you guys have said is a large part of it. Being a bum, throwing house parties, getting child support is all "cool". Hell it's culturally acceptable for a grown ass adult to tell another grown adult "so whose place you staying at these days" (translation: "who are you bumming off of these days"). And they wonder why they never prosper ?
That’s a really good point as well. It’s the lack of work ethic. Why are asians successful? You ever see a bunch of Asians just sitting around doing nothing? They have parents who stress to them the importance of hard work and education. I feel these section 8 rats just completely don’t want to work, they are happy bumming around and getting freebies, so pathetic and they will never change.

It's good that you're not talking about yourself, but the prices aren't going to come down. One solution is for those who can't afford to be there to move on, weather you like it or not. What's your solution?
It's a supply problem. So, make it legal to build more houses.

Last edited:
It's a supply problem. So, make it legal to build more houses.
OK, then what? The people who can't afford to rent will magically be able to afford a new home? or the people who buys those homes will rent it out for less than an older existing home?

OK, then what? The people who can't afford to rent will magically be able to afford a new home? or the people who buys those homes will rent it out for less than an older existing home?
Supply and demand. If the supply goes up, the price goes down. It's illegal to build affordable housing in all the highest rent parts of Canada and the US (and Europe). That's why the supply is so low.

Wanna throw up a steel frame and fill it with cement in 3 weeks, and rent it all out as studios? And do it all over the city? Illegal. They do that all over the place in Asia, and that's why rent is cheap there even in rich parts.

Supply and demand. If the supply goes up, the price goes down. It's illegal to build affordable housing in all the highest rent parts of Canada and the US (and Europe). That's why the supply is so low.

Wanna throw up a steel frame and fill it with cement in 3 weeks, and rent it all out as studios? And do it all over the city? Illegal. They do that all over the place in Asia, and that's why rent is cheap there even in rich parts.

And what about proper sewage, electrical, gas, water supply? Their building codes are different, safety is of no concern.

When I was a service electrician I went to a section 8 complex to fix a bunch of issues for the landlord. He walked me around explaining how they take all the light bulbs from the common areas and when there’s a vacancy, they’ll kick holes in the walls and run an extension cord into the apartment next door. There were even lights on the exterior of the building where they had yanked the conduit down, exposed the wires, and tapped a cord onto them so that when the light came on at night, they’d get free power on a plug strip inside their apartment.
I remember the landlord saying “we have 2 kinds of people here..... monkeys and wild monkeys”

Back