Opinions on the "Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy

JayElectra

Paper Belt
Banned
Reaction score
I thought this series would perhaps make for some good conversation, or forgo that, some good shit talking from Sherdog. I enjoyed all of them, so I'm interested to see the general consensus of Sherdog. If you like the movies, you may be a bitch, but you may also like a great movie in the process.... choose wisely.

They are all good, but I think they got progressively worse.

They are all good, but I think they got progressively worse.

Fair... I half hated the third one, originally. I was drunk as a cu..nt when I first watched it, though. I'll have to reevaluate. I don't really know why I want to discuss these movies, now, but shit, it felt it needed to be done.

Saw the first one. Loved it. Saw the second one. Enjoyed it. Haven't seen the third one and it's been a long time since I saw the first two. So that's all I've got.

Saw the first one. Loved it. Saw the second one. Enjoyed it. Haven't seen the third one and it's been a long time since I saw the first two. So that's all I've got.

Same.

Never seen any of them.

Third one is a foil to the first two, a bit. Although, it at least to start (so as no to actually ruin the movie) similar to a few long term relationships I've had. A shockingly realistic and, eventually great (when I finally can digest it), movie trilogy, I think.

I'm in the position of thinking this is a legendarily great trilogy. I may be wrong and I'll take the slings and arrows (as Mr. Burns could not).

Last edited:
The second film was, for me, a true masterpiece that transcended the romance genre like no film I had ever seen before.

Celiene and Jesse had all the hope possible in young love. They had nine years of failed expectations in real life to heighten their "once perfect day". Written into a grand novel of inspired passion. And in the world before facebook, the odds of their reunion were close to zero. For me, the heroism of human hope could never be better expressed than here. I will stop now. But I think I have to say that we all should have that perfect day of romance, unspoiled by time or failure, somewhere in our mind. The third film did well to show just how set upon the real world they were. And it left a little hope for all of us in their resolution.

None of any of that could have happened without the first film though.

A brilliant trillogy, start to finish.

A great series that shows how a movie that is almost solely dialogue driven, can be entertaining and memorable. It's very cool how they progressed the series over the years. I enjoy the second one the most, think the 1st one is great and while the 3 rd isn't as enjoyable as the first 2, I I am glad it was made and glad it went the direction it did.

The two characters felt real, and their relationship progressed in a believable way.

Great trilogy. The growth and progression of the characters is excellently written and crafted. The dialogue has a charm that draws you in but also a realism that makes the characters relatable and evocative.

My favorite is the second one. The chemistry and quality of dialogue between Celene and Jesse was at their best in that one. Once idealistic and hopeful about the notion of love they have become cynical, dejected and regretful after nine years of failed attempts at recreating what they had in the first film. At the same there's a subtle sense of rejuvenation which culminated in a very gratifying ending.

Also dat car scene.

Saw the first one,.., that was enough for me! I remember picking this movie on a double date, I wasn't able to pick again for a while as everyone hated it. Odd thing for me was these were artsy types and I only picked it cause I thought they'd like it.

I've been wanting to watch them, just haven't gotten around to it. so they're worth the watch?

I feel that they're great movies. Every one has something to offer any listener.

never seen em, but my girlfriend's gay former roommate loooooooves that series.

I enjoyed the series. Have not seen the latest one yet though.

The first two were great. The third one felt unconvincing and forced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back