Opinions on Bando?

brokendogleg

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I looked around my area and found a few TKD classes and also a Bando class. I've heard bad things about TKD in general, so I chose Bando. I started it Saturday and we learned some defensive stances (9 of them), after doing a grueling hour of circuit training. I'm doing MA to get into shape, and I don't have much experience. From what I saw in class yesterday, Bando seems to focus on a lot of kicks. I read about it online, and it seems pretty legit, I was just wondering if anyone had any critiques, stories, info on it?

You should keep us updated. I know jack-shit about Bando. Wait found it online : Bando USA Home Page

:D

Bando is kinda like Kung-fu in that there are many branches or styles of it and it had a strong animal style influence in its early days.. On the other hand it is still has a very small presence globally and would tend to have stayed a bit more hard core than styles that have schools cropping up everywhere. You will probably learn a lot weapons work over time. Bando is not really a kicking style but you will spend a lot of time working on kicks at the lower levels becuase kicking is just plain hard to get good at.

I have not seen, heard of or worked with a Bando stylist in years. I had almost forgotten about the bando styles as a whole.

Bando is NOTHING like Kung Fu.

Bando has Burmese Boxing in it, which is very similar to Muay Thai.

correct me if im wrong but i think bando is similar in many ways to certain styles of kung fu a lot of there techniques are of animals and they do weapons, buremese boxing or let wei is burmas form of kickboxing, let wei has nothing to do with bando.

Bando is NOTHING like Kung Fu.

Bando has Burmese Boxing in it, which is very similar to Muay Thai.

Engage reading comprehension, I was referring to the fact that there are several different styles of Bando and that they have animal influences specifically bull, boar, cobra, viper, python, panther, tiger, scorpion and eagle. That is exactly like many branches of Kung-fu. And for the record MT is similar to some styles of Tiger Kung-fu. Yes I have trained in both.

The International Bando Association also teaches banshay, lethwei and naban along with the 9 bando animals.

wikipedia is a wonderful thing...

Engage reading comprehension, I was referring to the fact that there are several different styles of Bando and that they have animal influences specifically bull, boar, cobra, viper, python, panther, tiger, scorpion and eagle. That is exactly like many branches of Kung-fu. And for the record MT is similar to some styles of Tiger Kung-fu. Yes I have trained in both.

The International Bando Association also teaches banshay, lethwei and naban along with the 9 bando animals.

just wondering is bando completley different than lethwei i have heard some people say bando is a different name for lethwei, banshay is weapons lethwei is kickboxing, naban is wrestling, where would bando fit in, like just wondering what type of martial art is it, what does it consist of.. thanks man

Any style based on animals is badass.

130px-Scorpion0.jpg

Lethwei is simply a Burmese term for "fighting with hands." Bando is a more generic Burmese term for "fighting" or "war." Bando does include animal systems after obtaining a black belt in the more basic Bando system. The animals include: Cobra, Python, Boar, Eagle, Scorpion, Bull, Viper , Panther, Tiger. There are also some sub systems for some of the animals.

Bando has always been a closed door system and still remains a lot that way to date. There has been a push to become less closed door but in my opinion, Bando struggles to have a true identity and gets more and more watered down as the years pass. The large difference between Bando and many other martial arts is the aggression. You're not looking to merely score points, the goal is definitely to debilitate (at least it was).

We teach Lethwei as a separate entity from Bando. The reason for this is to have a clear, pure kickboxing system without a "martial art" muddying the water. Our Lethewi is similar to Muay Thai only a bit more violent. We do teach it as an open hand system as it actually still is today which translates well to MMA and we teach it as a sport system which is great for kickboxing matches.

I hope this helps, it really is a confusing topic.

If you're doing it to get in shape it shouldn't matter to you what martial art you're doing.

So his claims are true?

I've only met Dr. Gyi once. I'm not going to pretend to know everything about him. I have no idea about the legitimacy of any claims by him or toward him. When I said he's the man, I was speaking to his prowess as a fighter/martial artist. I have definitely seen footage of him and his earliest disciples. There is no denying he was one of the best of era.

I know I'm late but I gotta give my 2 cents worth. I recently went to a seminar hosted by Cincinnati Thaing Bando and the guest instructor was Master Gyi, April 13 2013, it was really awesome and the training was great. While Master Gyi is a great teacher his methods of instructing are not for the sensitive of heart or weak willed, Bando is a very rough, straight to the point, and aggressive form of combat. I can tell you that Master Gyi has trained the U.S. Military such as the Marines, Rangers, Special Forces, Force Recon, and several Law Enforcement agencies. He has trained Thai, British, Australian, and French forces as well. Master Gyi is a very sought after stick and knife fighting instructor, he is also a Doctor for those that don't know. The knife company Cold Steel consulted him in the making of their Kukri knives and his name and the Bando symbol are on the blade. Yes, there are animal styles for different phases of Bando and there are several weapons systems in Bando, of course being so close to China and Thailand there are influences from those countries but it is not the basis of Bando as alot of South East Asian martial arts are constructed off of animals just like the Vietnamese martial art Vo Thuat Co Truyen. Having trained under Master Gyi I can tell you he is a great martial artist, great instructor, and an all around really great guy.
Now am I a student of Bando? Yes, but I also currently hold 4th Dan in Daito Ryu Aikijutsu and 2nd Dan in Iaido, but Bando just gripped me... its knife and stick techniques are very applicable in today's world, the unarmed combat is quick and to the point ending a confrontation fast, the training is hard, rough and not for the weak spirited or easy to offend, it's a warriors/soldiers combat system. Yes, Bando is a very closed style, most students are asked to train as you cannot just walk in and join a school, they interview and talk with perspective students as the violent nature of the style they do not wish to train someone who may use the art in the wrong way or for ill purposes. I hope this helped anyone looking into Bando.

3 fucking years late.
And i'm sure this isn't an advertisement-in-disguise at all.

Yeah 3 years late, so fucking what. No I am not advertising at all. I also study Daito Ryu and Iaido but that's neither here nor there. You don't like my opinion tuff shit I don't really care. I just joined this forum and saw this thread and gave my opinion on the style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back