Opinions, GSP trying to finish fights?

GSP's job isn't to finish fights

his job is to win fights

An occasional finish would be nice though. 7 title defenses. 6 decisions. And the one finish wasn't even a traditional finish (in round KO, TKO, or sub); it was a corner stoppage in between the 4th and 5th rounds.

That's 34 straight rounds without a finish. When he is clearly better than his opponents, that's ridiculous.

Exactly, last guy Diaz finished he got ktfo by the guy a minute before he won by WTF stoppage.... Then decision against the "LW" Penn that Macdonald fought, to be fair since Penn is a LW again by everyones posts, and his loss to Carlos. Sure, diaz is a top guy....

Diaz got KTFO by Daley??? And the stoppage was wtf? Daley was done and even in his corner after the fight was over was wobbly as hell...

I cannot fathom any MMA fighter NOT wishing to finish a fight.

In fact, even people proclaming he does not want to finish know, in their heart, that GSP wants to finish. They only say so because of their agenda and hate for GSP.

You also have people that proclaim that they know better than GSP, the WW champion of the world, on how he should fight in the octagon. The presumption of some people here is just ludicrous... The fact is, GSP does want to finish but when your at the top of the mountain, it gets harder and harder to finish. His opponents are the toughest on the planet.

As for the Anderson Silva argument to finishing, well, putting everyone on the Anderson Silva scale is just unfair. All champions cannot be as special as The Spider, he is one of a kind.

tldr; Yes, GSP wants to finish.

I think GSP's biggest detriment, in regards to finishing, is his dominance post-Serra.

With most fighters, after a tko/ko loss like that, they fight timid/gunshy in their return fight...because their confidence in their chin/recovery/survivability is shaken. Usually this goes away after a fight or two, once they take a few good shots or work their way out of/through a bad spot.

With GSP though, his talent and fight-IQ affords him the luxury of never really being in a bad spot. The drawback to that though, is he hasn't really had the chance to truly get that old 'bulletproof' confidence back, imo.

If he wasn't so dominant in every fight since Serra, he'd probably be even more dominant in the long run; as his confidence/killer instinct would be stronger than it has been in a long while now, which in turn...would likely lead to more finishes for him.

I believe he has been trying to use his incredible fight-IQ and athleticism in place of the piss, spit, fire, and vinegar that he is lacking....and unfortunately, in most cases I just don't think you can think your way into having killer-instinct.

Back