Opinions, GSP trying to finish fights?

He looks to control the fight, beat people up and if the finish comes it comes. Unfortunately he usually ends up fighting people good enough and fighting defensively enough to avoid it. Only fights he really should have gone 'harder' were Hardy and Shields and Shields was poking him in the eye every time they got close.

I enjoy his fights. There is clearly a strategy being put to use with a developed skill set. Most fighters plans get thrown out the window once the fight starts because the other guy is doing something different that you didn't plan for or plan properly for. GSP though forces people to fight his fights (as does Anderson, Cruz, and Aldo).

I don't get all the criticism some people throw at him for not finishing Condit. While he dominated Condit, he never hurt Condit like Condit hurt him. Imagine all the criticism GSP would be getting if he had hurt Carlos that bad and not finished him (like Condit couldn't do).

I would like to see him finish more but at least his last fight had some more thrill to it because Condit had a chance for a minute in third.

GSP is going to beat Nick Diaz by TKO (doctor stoppage).

Nick will give everyone the finger, test positive for weed, and run a triathlon to vent

GSP's great strengths are his jab and his MMA wrestling, neither of which finish. That is the reason he has less finishes than others. That and the fact that the guys he fights are tough to finish.

I think GSP receives way too much criticism for the way he fights (not directed at you TS)

He has to maintain/advance his legacy, which subsequently earns him 5-10 times the money he would receive if he was trying to appease the general public and getting finished out every 3 fights.

I do think that he was more aggressive against Condit. Diaz will have nothing for GSP, except matching cardio.

Diaz and his fans are in for a rude shock.

WAR GSP, WW GOAT

Weekly topic. GSP approaches MMA as an athletic competition. It's a very intelligent decision and he's damned effective. Some purists would rather see a fight. I'm one of them, but realize the more money is on the line, the more sense GSP's strategy makes for the fighter (though I hate it as a fan).

Why change a winning formula? Besides, the GSP fans love his "dominance."

I say he keeps his passion for MMA where it is and continue to win. There's more money in that anyways.

He dropped Shields with a headkick and it didn't even look like going in for the kill crossed his mind.

I was/am disappoint.

I think GSP will look to finish if it's there, but if there is much risk involved he'll play it safe and grind out the decision.

GSP is not going to finish Diaz. Even if GSP gets the better of the standup (which I highly doubt) he will not be taking any chances on the ground with a subartist like Diaz. At this point in his career GSP doesn't know how to finish on his feet especially against a guy like Diaz.

The only time he really pushed it and went crazy for a finish against Condit was during the last 10 seconds of round 5. He was really going for a flurry of GNP.

I believe he is safety first and doesn't actively pursue a finish

This.

You beat me to it.

If gsp had a list of his top 100 priorities going into a fight, a finish wouldn't even be on that list.

He dropped Shields with a headkick and it didn't even look like going in for the kill crossed his mind.

I was/am disappoint.

Probably because he couldn't see Shields drop after being poked in his eye repeatedly. That fight plays out very differently if Shields never intentionally poked GSP in the eye non stop.

He finishes Diaz, easiest guy to finish since Hardy - I know I know, ok?

GSP's job isn't to finish fights

his job is to win fights

Exactly, last guy Diaz finished he got ktfo by the guy a minute before he won by WTF stoppage.... Then decision against the "LW" Penn that Macdonald fought, to be fair since Penn is a LW again by everyones posts, and his loss to Carlos. Sure, diaz is a top guy....

Back