Opinion on Media Bias

The media definitely plays fast and loose with the facts many times. TV and AM radio being the worst.

Just the other day I saw Sean Hannity on TV playing a clip of Hillary Clinton tripping 5 years ago, coughing on 2 seperate occasions, and moving her head oddly as she joked with people. Hannity thought this was suspicious behavior that indicated she was suffering from a brain tumor, or stroke. That smug fucking face of his thought it was convincing. It's just nonsense.

On radio, you have examples of Americans For Prosperity buying Mark Levine, and FreedomWorks buying Glenn Beck. They become shills, and push their far-right agendas, and candidates of choice.

But there is something else the media does which Is just as harmful, even though it's not as deliberately treacherous. In the attempt to act unbiased and to appear so, they give equal time to two contradictory POV even when 1 of them is fringe. That's how global warming deniers etc spam their shit. In an effort to be objective they give contrarian "experts" far too much airtime.

Fortunately, we still have some outstandingly good investigative journalism going on in print media.

So "Just the Facts" can still be biased. This is my point- everyone wants unbiased media, but no one can tell me what that means.
To most it means simply "attack people I dislike as they rightly deserve, and do not be critical of those I support."

The media definitely plays fast and loose with the facts many times. TV and AM radio being the worst.

Just the other day I saw Sean Hannity on TV playing a clip of Hillary Clinton tripping 5 years ago, coughing on 2 seperate occasions, and moving her head oddly as she joked with people. Hannity thought this was suspicious behavior that indicated she was suffering from a brain tumor, or stroke. That smug fucking face of his thought it was convincing. It's just nonsense.

On radio, you have examples of Americans For Prosperity buying Mark Levine, and FreedomWorks buying Glenn Beck. They become shills, and push their far-right agendas, and candidates of choice.

But there is something else the media does which Is just as harmful, even though it's not as deliberately treacherous. In the attempt to act unbiased and to appear so, they give equal time to two contradictory POV even when 1 of them is fringe. That's how global warming deniers etc spam their shit. In an effort to be objective they give contrarian "experts" far too much airtime.

Fortunately, we still have some outstandingly good investigative journalism going on in print media.

I listen to Breitbart rather religiously.

One thing we have to understand is mass media is tailored to a wide audience, and to capture listeners it has to appeal to a certain level. Hence, intellectual honesty is all but dead in media that makes it onto the television or mainstream radio.

Guys like Sean Cannity I think of as entertainers as much as I do John Stewart back in the day. Maybe even more so.

Everything is business, and that takes us to bad places.

Katrina Pierson just said hours ago we were not in Afghanistan until Obama decided to go in in 2009. She's a stunningly ignorant dummy whose only apparent qualifications to be Trump's spokesperson was making nasty remarks on her Twitter page. Actually I guess that makes her highly qualified for that job. But still not someone to look up to.

Katrina Pierson just said hours ago we were not in Afghanistan until Obama decided to go in in 2009. She's a stunningly ignorant dummy whose only apparent qualifications to be Trump's spokesperson was making nasty remarks on her Twitter page. Actually I guess that makes her highly qualified for that job. But still not someone to look up to.

She also made a mistake with the whole Khan situation. That wasn't the point though

Mark Levine is the absolute worst. But talk radio is hardly significant.
I think you're underestimating how important right-wing talk radio is. Limbaugh, Savage(Weiner), Levine have tremendous daily audiences.

Savage is so egregious he is like one of 10 people banned from entering the U.K.

As a matter of fact, I just thought of this because of Nate Diaz pic...I remember when Nick Diaz fought Gomi, broke his orbital, came back and won.

Savage had watched the fight. He claimed on his radio show Diaz was so aggressive because he was fed up with the way white people were being treated in the U.S.

This was shortly before he said kids with autism were faking it and need to be told to act like a man.

I listen to Breitbart rather religiously.

One thing we have to understand is mass media is tailored to a wide audience, and to capture listeners it has to appeal to a certain level. Hence, intellectual honesty is all but dead in media that makes it onto the television or mainstream radio.

Guys like Sean Cannity I think of as entertainers as much as I do John Stewart back in the day. Maybe even more so.

Everything is business, and that takes us to bad places.

I was never much into Stewart or Colbert, but political satire is great. Often you'll find more truth in some succinct, sardonic piece than you will in hours of "real news."

Like this...it's better analysis than anything you'll find O'Reily talk about:
http://www.theonion.com/infographic/details-trumps-economic-plan-53474

Donald Trump unveiled his administration’s economic policy plan Monday at the Detroit Economic Club. Here are Trump’s main economic proposals:

• Prevent American companies from outsourcing jobs to women or minorities

• Lower the corporate tax rate for CEOs too stupid to find a loophole

• Do whatever you’re supposed to do with interest rates

• Larger numbers for everyone

• Round up and deport nation’s manufacturing robots

• Raise taxes on the ultra-foreign

• Spur innovation by speeding up demise of habitable climate

• Cap top income tax rate at 25 percent or 33 percent or 14 percent or something in that general vicinity, but it’s hard to tell where the chips will fall

• America’s financial woes to be eased significantly by cash gifts from America’s father

I think you're underestimating how important right-wing talk radio is. Limbaugh, Savage(Weiner), Levine have tremendous daily audiences.

Savage is so egregious he is like one of 10 people banned from entering the U.K.

Other than Rush, many people outside of their audiences don't even know who those guys are.

All media anti-Trump all the time. THAT is scary. Never seen anything like it.

All media anti-Trump all the time. THAT is scary. Never seen anything like it.

We've never seen anything like Trump. His campaign is trying to wrest control of his Twitter account from him. Like a 7 year old. So he'll stop writing dumb shit he can't even spell check, let alone fact check. They're afraid of him and his mouth (and tiny fingers), not the media.

He's so thin-skinned, so whiny, and his fans so impressionable...it doesn't make it true though.

Why did he get upset at the handicapped reporter? Wasn't it because the guy said 1000's of Muslims weren't celebrating 9/11 like Trump lied about?

Trump fans want feels not facts, and think facts are unfair.

I can't believe how fooled by Trump I was.

I actually thought he had hired strong advisers that were saying:

"To win the primaries, you need to stand out from the rest of the pack, be assertive, pander to their fears and primal tendencies. Be strong on immigration, and guns, and domestic security. Once you win the primaries, moderate, and move to the center".

I was so convinced of this, I was calling him a master manipulator.

On the second part, I was WRONG. Dead fucking wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong.

He is the most unqualified person to be president I have seen in my lifetime. That there is a lot of people calling him out is not bias. He just is that bad a candidate, who does so many gaffes, an amount so large that we can't tolerate four years of daily gaffes.

Repulsive. Shame that woman probably gets fired for real journalism.

Can't even deny the propaganda anymore, they aren't trying to hide it.

And I remember when CNN used to be a little left of center.

apparently the only people he really listens to are his kids. Eric was the motivation for Christian Bale in American Psycho, I beleive, and Jr. spends much of his time killing animals.

I'm not sure how much input the young daughter has as Agent Orange (Donald) is too mesmerized by the other's "great body."

the media is money biased. i dont see how that isnt obvious.

the networks, and most anyone else, is simply trying to tell the largest number of consumers exactly what they want to hear. fox and msnbc are obvious. cnn i think it depends on the anchor/program.

then you have the "independent" sites that try to come off as being the objective truth tellers, by highlighting alleged foul play at every turn in the government and msm. its great for their page hits.

the media is money biased. i dont see how that isnt obvious.

the networks, and most anyone else, is simply trying to tell the largest number of consumers exactly what they want to hear. fox and msnbc are obvious. cnn i think it depends on the anchor/program.

then you have the "independent" sites that try to come off as being the objective truth tellers, by highlighting alleged foul play at every turn in the government and msm. its great for their page hits.
The "alt news" sites are often 10x worse than the mainstream media they Attack.

Back