OPINION: In today's MMA, we no longer will see long standing dominant champs

FlyThaiMMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
MMA is too tough on the highest levels. Everyone in the top 5 is elite now. The game is changing and evolving too fast to stay on top for a long time. 2 or 3 title defenses is the top level expectations. The days of Anderson Silva and GSP like era's are done

cgxR01h.gif

I can agree with that.this is partly IMO to fighters buying into the hype

I think we will we we're just going through a post USADA adjustment period.

Apparently you forgot that Chael Sonnen's suspension is up and he has never had a close fight at middleweight

It's not like there are 12 Silvas and Gsps walking around. Jones was around just a month ago, Aldo just barely lost, and Ronda too.

There will be more but I doubt WW and MW will be ruled like that again.

It's not like there are 12 Silvas and Gsps walking around. Jones was around just a month ago, Aldo just barely lost, and Ronda too.

There will be more but I doubt WW and MW will be ruled like that again.

Anderson, GSP, and Fedor wouldn't have had long eras like they did if they was in their prime today imo

They would be champion and probably defend but not like they did in their respective era's

Dominick / Demetrius.

Come on, Robbie got tagged a lot in his last 4 fights. Anyone thinking he would be a long standing dominant champ was a bit delusional, he had many openings. Most of these champions that lost recently, Holm, Miesha, Robbie, Werdum were good in one aspect at best. The two 'complete' champions that lost were Aldo and Rockhold.

Just calm down.

MMA is too tough on the highest levels. Everyone in the top 5 is elite now. The game is changing and evolving too fast to stay on top for a long time. 2 or 3 title defenses is the top level expectations. The days of Anderson Silva and GSP like era's are done

Both Dom and Demetrius are either going to be dominant or have been dominant, respectively.

I think Aldo will get his belt back, but other than those three gentlemen, not too sure. I do have some high hopes for Miocic though.

Feels like we are in a transition period and people are finding out who the legit people are. Belt is going to change hands but I won't be surprised if some of these people that lost the belt, win it back and go on a GSP esque run with the second run.

Dominant fighters are veterans that get the belt and fight boring for years...or phenoms/good cheaters that are too far ahead of their division. Lawler was far from being a dominant champion, his fights are often close, gets hit way too much, that was bound to happen. People slept on Tyron since the start, there was a big chance of it happening.

Back