(Opinion) Gregor Gillespie should fight at 145..

he probably doesnt care enough to cut that extra weight, only scales he cares about are on a fish.

I think as Gregor who has cut weight and competed his entire life he fully understands the diminishing gains made if he were to go down. He knows better than anyone the weight classes and folks that compete in them. He just beat an overweight LW last night.

145lbs might be enough to drain him and affect his performances. Idk.

If he doesn't compromise his cardio or chin significantly, he absolutely should move down in my eyes, as wrestling isn't as dependant on being fast for your division as striking is, or at least the relative (to the opposition a division below) increase in strength more than makes up for it.

Gregor tasted his first loss of his career in mma, I'd cut him some slack...I'm just glad he's back in the mix...

Yeah, Khabib asking for him vs Islam is kinda ridiculous. Islam is a HUGE LW (I wonder how much he cuts) and he is kinda tiny

He does appear to be very undersized, but minus the Lee fight has been doing good despite the size disparity. From a big picture when you look at the Feather Weight rankings and how striker heavy the division is you’d think it would seemingly be a very smart career move for Gregor, but who knows his reasoning.
6B04714F-904D-40C7-85D0-CA6874FD9E6B.png

Aren't there rules about what a fighter is allowed to weigh in the cage after a big weight miss?
Sometimes it is a condition, but I don’t believe it is a rule. I remember Rumble had a weight cap after missing vs Vitor

Yeah, Khabib asking for him vs Islam is kinda ridiculous. Islam is a HUGE LW (I wonder how much he cuts) and he is kinda tiny
I mean they’re in the same weight class, if Gregor doesn’t want to fight LWs he should move down

I mean they’re in the same weight class, if Gregor doesn’t want to fight LWs he should move down

Who says he doesn't want it? I'm guessing he wants the fight. But like people are suggesting a weight class lower is probably a better fit and Islam could probably fight at WW. Obviously they could make the fight. It would just be a ridiculous size difference.

Who says he doesn't want it? I'm guessing he wants the fight. But like people are suggesting a weight class lower is probably a better fit and Islam could probably fight at WW. Obviously they could make the fight. It would just be a ridiculous size difference.
I’m just saying they are both ranked lightweights, can’t really suggest or expect they shouldn’t make a fight because one guy will have a size advantage. Unless you have a new weight class every few pounds this is just the way it’s going to be.

I’m just saying they are both ranked lightweights, can’t really suggest or expect they shouldn’t make a fight because one guy will have a size advantage. Unless you have a new weight class every few pounds this is just the way it’s going to be.

Yes, that's why people are suggesting he should go a weight class below. I'm not saying they shouldn't make the fight. They can make the fight and I won't complain. That said, it's kinda picking an easy stylistic match up, because they are both grapplers and size matters a lot in grappling especially wrestling style grappling. They shouldn't do weight classes every 5 lbs, but they should rearrange them to be 155, 165, 175.

Ehh I don’t like fighters weight cutting to be honest should be fucking banned especially wrestlers the dude an 4x ncaa champ I highly bet he been cutting weight his whole life he needs a break cutting weight puts a serious strain on the body over time even if know what u doing

Ehh I don’t like fighters weight cutting to be honest should be fucking banned especially wrestlers the dude an 4x ncaa champ I highly bet he been cutting weight his whole life he needs a break cutting weight puts a serious strain on the body over time even if know what u doing
He is not a 4x NCAA champ. There are only a few of those. He won it once at 149. His last two years he wrestled 157...(lost to my good friend Dan Vallimont along the way). So, its funny how many are suggesting he should cut to 145 when he wrestled 157 his last two years in college....and never was as low as 145 since he was a teenager.

Also, MMA fans don't understand Gillespie. It's pretty well known in the wrestling community that he isn't a huge fan of fighting. He does it because he is good at it and he enjoys training. But he's very vocal about being somewhat apathetic to the whole thing. It's a paycheck to him. He is much happier fishing than fighting. So everyone can wax poetic about this weight class or that, or this fight or that, but the problem is, the fans are the only ones having the conversation. Gillespie is a different dude

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back