Opening the closed guard ! Standing/lifting

juiclaw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been playing around abit with lifting my opponent up off the ground from their closed gaurd. I start from double lapel control, pushing them into their biceps with my head on their chest. From there I pop up on two feet and lift!!

Does anyone else use this style??? I haven't encountered any really problems yet ( other than people over 220 pounds ;)

Just wondering if any one had so thing I should be looking out for or downsides to this.

So far I have found that it seems to eliminate alot of sweeps and triangle

Thoughts???????

Thanks

here is an interesting guard breaking video i saw

haven't had a chance to try it yet

^^^ that's pretty much my go-to for standing guard breaks. Except with my left hand I get sleeve control on my opponent's right arm.

^^^ that's pretty much my go-to for standing guard breaks. Except with my left hand I get sleeve control on my opponent's right arm.

yeah, i have always seen it with sleeve control.

The first thing i thought was you would get swept, but here is what some guy who trains with him said.
"I hit the double ankle sweep on just about everybody but Billy.

Even though both his feet are forward, pay attention to his posture and how bent his legs are and how his weight is slightly forward driving on you. His posture prevents me from hitting that sweep. Your legs have to be a lot more straight and you have to be leaning back more than that for the double ankle sweep to work. If you get close to hitting that sweep he will just crunch down and pull on double lapels to prevent it easily. Or in no-gi, grab behind your head with both hands, and you cant sweep.

Once he established his two arm posture in closed guard, his frame feels like youre trying to move a mountain. Its just a waste of energy, he easily breaks open your guard. Fortunately, thats where I like to be Laughing The technique SEEMS so basic and simple, and yet there is a world of difference when someone average does it and when Billy does it. I cant move him a millimeter once he is in that posture.

When you step forward rather than to the side, your opponents hips come off of the mat. To do anything (i.e.push you backward with his knees), he'd have to open his guard (Legs open = guard break success). We treat the guard break and the guard pass as two separate events. Drill it slowly and and pay close attention to the details. When done correctly, this is pretty hard to stop. Our white through black belts use this in gi competition as kind of a go-to because it's so effective."

That video is great. We use almost that exact pass at BTT. The only difference is the grips on the lapels for us, is in a different location.

We have found it to be more effective than the lower grips on the lapel.

But i dont know if i should divuldge such information. haha

Back