Open scoring (judges score revealed after each round)

crocopteam

I don't need no belt!
@Green
Reaction score
I remember this conversation (not on Sherdog) always used to happen whenever there was a bad decision in boxing, and seeing the same thing happen over and over again in MMA (more than once last night alone), has me thinking that this should be brought up once again. Ariel was talking about it post show as well.

Combat sports (MMA, boxing, kick boxing) are the only sports where you don't know the score as the game/fight goes on.

Imagine a football game where the teams didn't know the score until the end of the game. Like if a touchdown could be rewarded anywhere from 5-10 points. Decided by "judges" based on difficulty of play, length of run/pass, number of plays in a drive, penalties, and so on. That is the equivalent to the scoring in combat sports.

One of the arguments against open scoring is that if a fighter knows he is up, he can coast the rest of the way. But to counter that, I say the fighter that knows he's down, will push harder knowing that he needs a finish in order to win.

Imagine the crowd/viewers anticipation after each round, that would be great. Or the reaction of the crowd/viewers after Jones was given round 2.

Seems like a topic that should be given some consideration, whats your opinion?

I've never understood why they won't allow it. The coasting argument seems absurd.

It would make corrupt judges too obvious if they show them robbing a guy right after a round he clearly won. Wont happen.

Imagine a football game where the teams didn't know the score until the end of the game. Like if a touchdown could be rewarded anywhere from 5-10 points. Decided by "judges" based on difficulty of play, length of run/pass, number of plays in a drive, penalties, and so on. That is the equivalent to the scoring in combat sports.
This is a good analogy. I'm really not sure how I feel about this topic, but you've made a good argument.

I think it's a great idea. They would be open to criticism DURING the fight, instead of turning in their cards and being gone before the decision is read.

Blessed had something to say about it as well.

Screenshot_20200209-115916_Twitter.jpg

Back