Open Mats

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by thrustyourhips, Sep 21, 2010.

1. thrustyourhips

thrustyourhips White Belt

Was wondering what the etiquette is for open mats. Can I just go to a school's open mat whenever I want or is it only for their students?

2. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Call the school...most I think would let you in with drop in fee

3. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

My understanding was always that members could bring a guest or two to an open mat, but that random walk-ups weren't welcome without prior permission or some fee as mentioned already. I could be wrong though.

4. Drift Wood

Drift Wood White Belt

Definitely call the school. No, no scratch that.... I would definitly go by the school... maybe sometime towards the end of one of their classes... be charming (that's my approach... pretty much in life) and simply tell him/her that you would be interested in dropping in for open mat and that you're sure that's ok (sound confident) yet thought it respect to obtain to instructors permission first.

Essentially you're saying "Hey I'm coming by for open mat, I trust it isn't an issue, I just wanted to let you know..."

My Academy: Ours are reserved for our students and students from affilitate schools only... unless... you know someone who can introduce you to one of the senior ranking students.... I bring friends and I've been there long enough it's never been an issue... but I always make it a point to introduce my guest to the highest/higher ranking students...

It sounds as though you want to participate in an open mat at a school that you don't train at, is that right? Why??? Just sort of wondering what your goal is???

Do you know anyone at this other school???

5. thrustyourhips

thrustyourhips White Belt

Well, I have no intention of changing schools, but I just wanted to mix things up a bit occasionally. Roll somewhere else with different people without having to pay a drop in.