Open mat

my rolling consist of trying to execute the moves and sequences that were taught that day. if im able to execute that move during that session, that means I've learned something and remembered it (and i got a badd memory)

Honestly open mat is a little more of a lax time for me.

I get to be a little more selective about who I roll with, I can work on something specific (like tell a guy I want to start in his closed guard every time), no time limit on any of the rolls, can have those death matches with guys, and you get as much time as you want between rolls to chill with your friends.'

That's what I do at open mat at least.

If you want the real answer, the answer is don't spend open mat rolling.

Yeah it's fun, but if your regular class is already 50% rolling, you don't really need more of that. You need time to drill and practice your core moves seriously.

If you can find someone who is willing to just shut up and drill with you for 30-60 minutes straight, that is gold.

Very, very hard to find people to drill with at open mat in my experience. The best way to do it is after class one day just make an announcement that you want to drill at the next open mat, and see if you can pre-arrange a partner. Just showing up and hoping someone wants to drill with you is tough...most people just want to roll.

Very, very hard to find people to drill with at open mat in my experience. The best way to do it is after class one day just make an announcement that you want to drill at the next open mat, and see if you can pre-arrange a partner. Just showing up and hoping someone wants to drill with you is tough...most people just want to roll.

Very true. But it's still a great use of the time, whether or not it's likely to happen.

I figured you'd probably have to prearrange it.

I actually knew a guy at a school that encouraged this practice. The students were encouraged to develop a buddy system -- basically pair up and have a designated training partner. Then they would drill together, bounce ideas off each other, motivate each other, etc.

I thought it was a great idea actually.

The open mat I go to is usually pretty small and averages maybe 6-10 guys at any one session.

We roll, sometimes timed rolls or just casual flow pace, whatever your feeling. Maybe share some moves or various tips/techniques and just help the team.

Sometimes guys want to do a circuit or other cardio training and I'm bummed, cuz I'm lazy..:cool:

It's tricky-most of the people just want to use the energy they have to sparr as much as they can without the fatigue of an ordinary training session up their backs but I insisit on doing some technique:
Most of the time I do reps of
FIRST AND FOREMOST THE MOVE THAT WAS BEING DONE FOR THE LAST WEEK DURING CLASS (remember actual training moves>fancy youtube-jitsu) and my regular all time faves
flower/pendulum/dafirma sweep
standing closed guard pass with the opponent switching to de la riva->leg drag pass
de la riva to the back
Omoplata sweep as a counter to a standing pass.
My video of choice is xande's as it is complimentary with saulo's book, which is great for revising technique details, beside that I am a huge fun of old-school bjj (Margarida-Terere-Roleta oldchool :)
ALso I keep a journal to force my mind to remmeber the critical details of the technique and keep stuff organised.
Having done all of this I think my game starts sucking a little less than usual but progress comes at glacial speed :D

Typically what I do is roll with a few partners, and then when something comes up that I or my partner wants to work on, we begin drilling it.

This could be a sweep, submission, pass, escape or whatever. Typically we'll drill it for a while and then start doing dynamic drilling where we will come up with a sequence to start repping out. After doing that for a while I'll typically finish open mat by rolling a few more times depending on how much time is left.

I figured you'd probably have to prearrange it.

I actually knew a guy at a school that encouraged this practice. The students were encouraged to develop a buddy system -- basically pair up and have a designated training partner. Then they would drill together, bounce ideas off each other, motivate each other, etc.

I thought it was a great idea actually.

That actually does sound like a very good idea. May even help reduce the attrition rate for white and blue belts.

Right thats it,

Next open mat I am demanding someone drill with me.

I always hope to do it but most... bah, damn near all poeple just want to roll or positional sparr.

Right thats it,

Next open mat I am demanding someone drill with me.

I always hope to do it but most... bah, damn near all poeple just want to roll or positional sparr.

IMO positional sparring and drilling are just as good as each other and should be done together almost all the time

IMO positional sparring and drilling are just as good as each other and should be done together almost all the time

Rolling, Positional Sparring and drilling are all good things.

But I only get to do 2 of them, this needs to change. Main reason I want it to change is I am happy with my control and positional dominance but I can't finish a cup cake.

would anyone go as far as to say that open mat is less efficiently used time than a regular training session? let's say i go to training twice as week and have the choice to go to a third session each week OR go to open mat (on top of the two trainings). which would be better?

I would always choose an extra session unless I had something specific planned for open mat.

But I don't think Open mat should be turned into a dedicated time to maximize your skill gain. Open mat should be some extra fun training that you do outside of regular class. You come to open mat because you love Jiu-Jitsu, not because you want to be the world champ. Or at least that's how I feel about it.

What people choose to do with that time is their own thing.

I work on the techniques I learned in class that day. i also try to mix training partners higher level guys were i need to work on escapes and transitions. And lower level guys where I need to work on technique maintaining control.

Open mat is awesome. I love it. Basically I like to flow roll to warm up, work some positional sparring and end it with some full sparring sessions with various skill levels.

In the positional sparring, I will work on whatever we've been going over for the week and that I need to sharpen up.

Friday is a drill class and its competition based some its drill until you puke with a 10 minute roll at the end though.

Sadly I'm down for the count for a bit with a bad knee. So reading and studying is all I can do.

I'm of the mindset that rolling trumps drilling when it comes to developing your game. Of course, you have to drill to the point where you understand the mechanics of whatever move but I don't personally like static drilling and drilling and drilling with a non to partially resisting partner.

I like "flow rolling" to warm up or cool down and think it's a much better way to spend time trying to burn moves into your head. It's not static and it doesn't allow you to ignore the need to sort of set the table before trying a move.

Otherwise, I feel you that in order to get better at rolling, you should roll. Knowing 101 subs won't help you if you don't understand the nuanced positional requirements that lead to those subs actually happening successfully and I feel that you learn that rolling.

Open mats have been very important to my progress. I wish more gyms had honest to god open mats and I wish that BJJ would lose some of it's school loyalty hang ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back