Open mat in NYC

StikyIcky

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to find some spot in NYC where open mat is held for whoever just wants to come grapple. No egos or attitudes please. Gi or no gi. Preferably a mix of all disciplines.

I remember a couple years back the Gracie school used to host open mat, but they charged a lot.

Clue me in.

Thanks

I'm already part of a school, I'm not trying to join a new one. Both of these require memberships & sign ups.

I'm looking for open mat, as in, you just walk in and roll. Different opponents from different schools, different disciplines.

god, someone told me about this wrestling club i think in the LES that was like 20 bucks for 6 months or something... can't remember the name for the life of me... Empire wrestling? some shit like that.

i was told it was basically an open mat wrestling club that met a few times a week and if u were a n00b the other members would gladly teach you.

god, someone told me about this wrestling club i think in the LES that was like 20 bucks for 6 months or something... can't remember the name for the life of me... Empire wrestling? some shit like that.

i was told it was basically an open mat wrestling club that met a few times a week and if u were a n00b the other members would gladly teach you.

I wouldn't mind learning some more wrestling techniques. A wrestling club or something of that sort is probably what I am looking for.

My main goal is to just roll with others, whether they are better or worse than me. If we can do some sparring, that would be great too.

Come on guys, this is a city of over 10 million people. I'm sure there are enough grapplers out there who are down to just meet up and roll.

Thanks for the info and if you can get more from your friend, definitely come back and post it.

dude nyc sounds like a shady situation when it comes to free open gyms...well if u ever move to the portland area on the west coast theres about 7 or 8 schools that do free weekend open gyms(team quest, bravehart mma, xtreme couture, impact jj, newbreed jj) just to name a few..

dude nyc sounds like a shady situation when it comes to free open gyms...well if u ever move to the portland area on the west coast theres about 7 or 8 schools that do free weekend open gyms(team quest, bravehart mma, xtreme couture, impact jj, newbreed jj) just to name a few..

Open mat doesn't mean free-mat. It's an open timeslot where no spec class is taught. Here you pay for what you get, what's shady about that?

You can come by and work out with us if you want to get a feel for some different stuff.

Shoot me an e-mail. I will tell you the best night to come by. we don't have an open mat, but come on by and take a class. we roll every class.

Steve

[email protected]

Open mat doesn't mean free-mat. It's an open timeslot where no spec class is taught. Here you pay for what you get, what's shady about that?

In NYC, it's definitely unreasonable to expect open mat for free. I would expect something like a public recreation center or some public school where guys would just do some kind of arrangement for a reasonable price.

I'm happy with my school so no way I'm going to Ronin Athletics and pay them whatever monthly (prob 200 bucks) just so that I can get more rolling sessions. Plus, the idea is that people from different schools & teachers come, not from the same one. So their open mat is nothing more than a rolling session for their students ONLY.

When Graice's school did it (and they still may), they charged like 20 bucks for a few hours and people would come from all over NYC. You would get Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc. It's great preparation for competitions.

If someone finds out more about this...PLEASE let me know.

Considering the real estate prices in NYC a free open mat isnt really possible for long.I have heard of the club in the LES but never checked it out myself. Anyone with info chime in

Is it Hamilton Fish Recreation Center?

I think the name of the club that trians at hamilton fish rec center is "twin tower wrestling club"
The other guy mentioned Empire...but who knows maybe he got the name wrong.

Back