Open Guard Question

MUFC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Which open guard do you guys think is lightest on the knees?

Obviously HG and Closed guard aren't bad for the knees at all (Gordo innovated the HG with a jacked knee), but sometimes, you cannot play HG or closed guard.

0_o

I've starting putting both feet on their hips and just stretching them out with double wrist control

I guess this is spider guard? i only do no-gi

I've starting putting both feet on their hips and just stretching them out with double wrist control

I guess this is spider guard? i only do no-gi

i think spider guard is actually when your feet are on his biceps... but yeah, similar principle really.

and i always go heels on hips first as soon as they open my guard. i find it a great weapon when trying to prevent them from passing, and if you play right like you suggested and stretch them out with your feet and wrist control you got all kinds of armbars and triangles just begging to be locked.

i think spider guard is actually when your feet are on his biceps... but yeah, similar principle really.

and i always go heels on hips first as soon as they open my guard. i find it a great weapon when trying to prevent them from passing, and if you play right like you suggested and stretch them out with your feet and wrist control you got all kinds of armbars and triangles just begging to be locked.

This is what I normally do and then move to spider guard or DLR if they have a knee up/stand.

I guess it would be easy to just slide a leg in for HG from there. You play HG, IIRC. Seem feasible?

This is what I normally do and then move to spider guard or DLR if they have a knee up/stand.

I guess it would be easy to just slide a leg in for HG from there. You play HG, IIRC. Seem feasible?

ofcourse, most of the time i go full guard -> heels on hips -> halfguard. i don't really have a reason to go to halfguard, i just like it there. i like the sweeps and openings it presents.

and i'm honestly curious, where do you recall me playing HG from? i didn't think anyone paid much attention to what i wrote around here.

ofcourse, most of the time i go full guard -> heels on hips -> halfguard. i don't really have a reason to go to halfguard, i just like it there. i like the sweeps and openings it presents.

and i'm honestly curious, where do you recall me playing HG from? i didn't think anyone paid much attention to what i wrote around here.

In another thread a while ago, someone was talking about guard types for certain physical builds. I commented that I was tall and lanky, but preferred playing HG. You said you were similar built (I think 6' 140lbs) and also played HG.

I remember everything.

In another thread a while ago, someone was talking about guard types for certain physical builds. I commented that I was tall and lanky, but preferred playing HG. You said you were similar built (I think 6' 140lbs) and also played HG.

I remember everything.

haha, scary.

but yeah. lanky bodytype ftw! halfguard is the place to be man, i got some screwed up knees also so i like it from that point of view as well. no pressure on the knees at all.

but lately i feel like i've been doing too much of the same stuff and just neglected the variety. i go for one or two sweeps and then just scramble. i'm gonna start and write down a shitton of hg sweeps and go through the list everytime before practice.

also, i wonder if anyone's done any detailed instruction on options from heels on hips. i know it's not really a guard but i use that position a lot and apart from the obvious openings that i sort of figured out by myself i don't really know any slick moves from there. something along the lines of gerbil's crazy backtake technique would be nice from there.

From HG I really just do single legs, the basic back take, and a couple sweeps from DHG. I really like the one Bernardo Faria hits on everyone. I stopped playing it for a while (HG) because I wanted to play around with other positions. It helped a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Back