Onnit Primal Bells

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My gym has just secured some funding to get some weight equipment...what do you think of the monkey kettle bells from Onnit?

they look bad ass... expensive as shit though and they look resistant to chipping because of the 3D model but I'm just guessing here

What you think, go for standard kettle bells or get these bad ass ones, any benefit or is it purely cosmetic

As far as Joe Rogan tells it in his podcast, despite the engraving they are perfectly balanced.

I'd go for the regular ones and get as much bang for your buck as possible.

If people are deciding whether or not to join your gym based on if your kettlebells have monkey faces on them, you won't be in business long.

My gym has just secured some funding to get some weight equipment...what do you think of the monkey kettle bells from Onnit?

they look bad ass... expensive as shit though and they look resistant to chipping because of the 3D model but I'm just guessing here

What you think, go for standard kettle bells or get these bad ass ones, any benefit or is it purely cosmetic

If you're going to get more expensive kettlebells, get the damn Precision Kettlebells off the World Kettlebell Club website. They're incredibly durable, the surface is easier to apply chalk to (there's a texture that makes it simpler to grind chalk into it) and they're more comfortable in lockout because of the "panels".

I'm not saying everyone should get more expensive bells, but I've never seen someone use the Precisions who was doing KB sport and didn't like them.

And they're still less expensive than the gorilla ones.
http://store.worldkettlebellclub.com/precision/

Last edited:
If you're going to get more expensive kettlebells, get the damn Precision Kettlebells off the World Kettlebell Club website. They're incredibly durable, the surface is easier to apply chalk to (there's a texture that makes it simpler to grind chalk into it) and they're more comfortable in lockout because of the "panels".

I'm not saying everyone should get more expensive bells, but I've never seen someone use the Precisions who was doing KB sport and didn't like them.

they look good, thanks for the link...free money that has to be blown on fitness equipment so we are going premium if its worth it!

Having used both precision bells and primal, definitely go precision. If your gym ever decides to run a girevoy sport program you'll need them regardless. I also like the rogue bells, but prefer how all the precision bell sizes are the same

I hate how with the primal bells you have to grip them so the smooth side flips into your forearm. When doing a circuit it adds one more later of complexity

Is your heart set on novelty items?

What about bars? Do you have a safety squat bar?

What about a Prowler?

If I was looking for a gym I'd prefer one with an SS bar and Prowler over neat-o kettlebells.

I would be pissed if my gym spent a bunch of money on kettlebells when they should buy more squat racks or cages. How many squat racks does your gym have?

a lot of jumping to conclusions here...just to let you all know we are in the top 10 ranked MMA teams in the UK and we have a great facility, plenty of squats racks, barbells and weights..we are looking to expand and get some circuit orientated equipment and kettle bells are perfect

I completely forgot where you are. Let me get with my coach, and find out if shipping will be a huge deal. You might be able to get a pretty complete set (like, enough to host a competition) for the kind of budget you're looking for. (Basically i'm going to see if there's someone reputable to ship from europe)

Those primal bells are badass, if I was living in the USA, I would have those. They are fucking dope son. But for a gym Id get regular ones.

Is your heart set on novelty items?

What about bars? Do you have a safety squat bar?

What about a Prowler?

If I was looking for a gym I'd prefer one with an SS bar and Prowler over neat-o kettlebells.

This. Unless you have the best equipped gym ever, I'm sure there's something better the spend money on than novelty kettlebells. Here's some better things to spend money on:

High quality Bumper plates. High end power and oly bars. Eleiko bars. Calibrated plates.
Buffalo bar. Swiss bar. Fat bar. Trap bar. Bands. Chains. Fancy platforms that measure bar speed. Tendo unit, or other device to measure bar speed. Blocks / boxes for pulling from. Jerk stands. Farmer's walk handles. Glute ham raise. Reverse hyper. Atlas stones. ER racks.

eleiko bars are awesome, I have one in the USA.

just get more quality standard kettlebells snakey

if they release a bulldog one then get it for the gym entrance obviously ;)

Unless I looked at it incorrectly those Precision kettlebells are WAY more expensive than the Onnit bells. I'd say skip the Precision bells...get more bang for your buck. But thats just me.

Back