Only in Japan (?)

Wow that is horrible. I knew discipline in Japan was tough but actually spiking his students and killing them is just unnaceptable. This guy deserves to get Randleplexed from the top of Empire State building.

is brain damage even an issue normally in judo at all?

108 deaths and not one conviction? He is practically a serial killer in the open.

108 deaths and not one conviction? He is practically a serial killer in the open.

You misread, that teacher was just one example. The 108 deaths comes from all Judo schools in a 27 year period. Still wayyyy above deaths in any other country.

You misread, that teacher was just one example. The 108 deaths comes from all Judo schools in a 27 year period. Still wayyyy above deaths in any other country.

how did the parents of the kids not do anything but bring the kid to the hospital

That's a sad story. It makes me glad to live in a society where you can easily sue someone, even with all the problems it causes.

Holy shit that is a lot of deaths.

seriously that's so many senceless deaths, if i were one of the parents of those poor victims, i don't give a fuck about cops, judges or whatever, if the prosecutors didn't do thier job, i would have no choice but to exact revenge on those motherfuckers by any and all means including killing them. sorry didn't mean to sound like an internet tough guy, i have kids that paricipate in martial arts classes and this hit close to home for me.

108 school judo class deaths but no charges, only silence | The Japan Times Online

Well we should be grateful things aren't THIS bad when we learn grappling arts in America...

clearly some pshycos but to put it in perspective

Statistics

From 1931 to 2006, the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research has reported 1,006 direct and 683 indirect fatalities resulting from participation in all organized football (professional, college, high school, and sandlot) in the US [2]. While the yearly number of indirect fatalities has remained near 9.0 per year, the yearly number of direct fatalities has declined from an average of 18.6 per year between 1931-1970, 9.5 per year from 1971

I normally accuse North American gym systems of being far too easy on kids; kids need to be physically pushed, and just because there is a minor risk of injury doesn't mean an activity should be banned by over-protective parents and teachers.

That being said, this is totally unacceptable. Perhaps not even the deaths as such, but the practice of seeking to hurt students who misbehave. A fully grown judoka tossing around these kids? This is terrible, no wonder serious injuries occur. And these are just fatalities we're hearing about. What about broken bones, concussions or damaged tendons? God knows how many non-fatal injuries came as a result of this.

Unfortunately this is a result of Japanese cultural mentality. With a combat sport like Judo, it's all to easy to use "training hard" as a disciplinary method where the teacher basically kicks the students ass.

I would equate this to frat hazing in western culture. They share a lot of similarities.

It sucks to be a kid doing highschool JUDO in Japan:
"Over the 27-year period 1983 to 2009, 108 students died as a result of judo accidents in Japanese junior and senior high schools (age range ca 12 to 18years)1 , 60% of them from brain injury. The mean of four deaths per year is significantly higher than in any other school sport. The incidence of death in judo among junior high school students (age range ca 12 to 15years) is 5.3 times higher than in basket ball, which has the second highest death rate.

Note that these figures do not include deaths from accidents outside school such as in private judo clubs, so the total number of deaths in young people is higher still. There have also been a large number of serious injuries, many of which have resulted in chronic higher brain dysfunction or persistent disturbance of consciousness."
"

When I was in Korea I went to a judo school (at that time I didn't know there was BJJ in Korea) twice. I had been doing BJJ for about 3 months in London before moving out there.

I thought the instructors were kind of cool and friendly to me and my friend in the first session. In the second session he put me against his top pupil who was about 15 and half my size.

He threw me everytime very easily but I tapped him out with an assortment of chokes or armbars as soon as it hit the floor. His instructor was shouting and screaming at him.

I was told to sit down on the bench. He went into his office and took out the Korean equivalent of a bokken. He told the student to drop his gi pants and proceeded to hit the kick very hard with it numerous times. The kid was tough and didn't shout out but you could see tears coming out of his eyes.

I didn't do any judo in Korea again.

"Second JJAVA Symposium on Judo Accidents to be held in Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture on September 12, 2010.

In the last 15 months there were 10 fatal judo accidents in Japan. Furthermore, over the 27-year period between 1983 and 2009, more than 110 high school and junior high school students died as a result of judo accidents in schools.'"

Events | Japan Judo Accident Victims Association (JJAVA)
"

"there have been more than 70 students seriously injured with permanent damages in the last 10 years, including those who suffer from persistent disturbance of conciousness (vegetative state) and higher brain dysfunctions. Starting in 2012, all public junior high school students will be required to practice martial art i.e. judo, kendo or sumo in school."Events | Japan Judo Accident Victims Association (JJAVA)

Back