Online discussion from 1993 about UFC 1 four days after it happened

Rich G Man Goins... GOINS....
It'll never catch on.

The Lebell grapevine.

Any find pre 99 online UFC discussion is rare, hardcore fanage and worth gold in its bit weight.

Fu** bitcoin. Bitweight should be the Sherdog currency.

That’s pretty cool. I was only 8 so I remember watching it but seeing that type of discussion is fascinating. Thanks.

Wow didn't know that internet forum's existed in 1993 already. Interesting

What's scary is that it appears you had to use your real names to post.

One of the members was banned for posting "rickson by armbar"

This is fascinating because it highlights how public opinion may appear to change even when the same questions are asked 26 years apart and we get different answers.

That guy thought chokes should be illegal, presumably because he thought they were a risk to fighter safety, but today he's probably still concerned about fighter safety and would give a different answer if you asked him the same question today in 2020. Did his attitude regarding fighter safety change? Or is that a misleading conclusion...

Research your polling data!

I'm still waiting for the kung fu badass to lay waste to the UFC roster.

The early 90's were great for so many things!!!

I didn't have a totally critical opinion of the event back then cos we didn't have internet yet and i didn't hate the world. I just thought it was a spin out seeing guys seemingly fight without rules. I wanted to see people hurt each other. I still want to see people hurt each other

I'm still waiting for the kung fu badass to lay waste to the UFC roster.
Something tells me that the world isn't ready. The current UFC roster would get SEVERED IN HALF by a kung fu master on a message board from 1993.

My mom actually ordered it for my friends and i...we were pretty disappointed

I had a friend just a few houses down that ordered UFC 1, and invited me to watch it with him. I didn't go b/c I knew that it had to be fake. I had seen Bloodsport and trained enough karate to know that such an event would end in throats being ripped out, internal organs exploding, and a few heads being jerked around 360 degrees.

Cool. I think it was late 90's when I first got connected on the dial up. Had no idea people were doing this in 93

Honestly? Someone posted it on reddit a while back but I had double yellows at the time. I figured I'd share it once my double yellows were gone since y'all would find it interesting. I would not be surprised if there are even older postings (perhaps about the UFC but predating UFC 1) but I don't have the skills to find it.

Neither do I. So we must kidnap the Reddit user.

Something tells me that the world isn't ready. The current UFC roster would get SEVERED IN HALF by a kung fu master on a message board from 1993.

at the very least, they would palm-strike someone's nose into their skull for a lethal finishing move

One of the four is called John Nash and there is a John Nash that works for Bloody Elbow. I don't think they are the same person though.

Hrm. It might not be, but there's a chance. When I first read the name my mind immediately jumped to A Beautiful Mind, thinking it was a play off of that, but that came out in 2001. It could be a play off of the actual mathametician, but it's unlikely.

Someone who has Twitter should tweet this to him. If it is him, that would be wild.

I picture a balding middle aged man watching people get choked out and saying “I would kick that guy”

I had a friend just a few houses down that ordered UFC 1, and invited me to watch it with him. I didn't go b/c I knew that it had to be fake. I had seen Bloodsport and trained enough karate to know that such an event would end in throats being ripped out, internal organs exploding, and a few heads being jerked around 360 degrees.

We were actually expecting movie style action...flying spinning kicks landing flush, sweeping the leg, etc.

I remember walking the aisles in Blockbuster video in the early 90s...seeing an early UFC...picking up the VHS box...turning it over...and seeing a picture of Royce lying on his back with feet in the air (ready to do upkicks) and thinking to myself "WHAT THE F*CK...HOW DO YOU FIGHT LIKE THAT"

What a time to be alive

My suggestion would be to eliminate the choke hold (make it illegal), but retain all other submission holds. I think that boxer and the shoot-fighter panicked when the choke hold was put on. Also the choke hold is life threatening, so what if someone waited too long to waive off?

I'm still not sold on the fact that someone like Shamrock or a kung fu badass couldn't take Gracie out given the chance...even a Shorin-Ryu fighter (discipline I used to study/train for years) could land a kick that's just as lethal as a choke hold.

It seems the level of fan knowledge hasn't changed much in 27 years.

How could this be made BETTER in the future?

My suggestion would be to eliminate the choke hold (make it illegal), but retain all other submission holds. I think that boxer and the shoot-fighter panicked when the choke hold was put on. Also the choke hold is life threatening, so what if someone waited too long to waive off?

^ Woah thats me :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Back