Online discussion from 1993 about UFC 1 four days after it happened

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
This is probably the oldest online discussion about a UFC event. Keep in mind that most Americans and most people in the world did not have any type of online access at all in 1993.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/TUIueDNvDWo/discussion

A few snippets:

Overall, I'd say the show was *pretty* good. Worth the $14.95 PPV charge? Not really, when you consider the TOTAL fighting time of the show was 13 minutes, one second--and three hours of airtime was blocked off, so I presumed I was getting a three hour show.

How could this be made BETTER in the future?

My suggestion would be to eliminate the choke hold (make it illegal), but retain all other submission holds. I think that boxer and the shoot-fighter panicked when the choke hold was put on. Also the choke hold is life threatening, so what if someone waited too long to waive off?

I'm still not sold on the fact that someone like Shamrock or a kung fu badass couldn't take Gracie out given the chance...even a Shorin-Ryu fighter (discipline I used to study/train for years) could land a kick that's just as lethal as a choke hold.

Last edited:
I'm failing to see the discussion in what you posted. Seems more like a statement.

I looked at the link. It's a 4 person discussion and not very long. Just post the whole thing bro

And also 14.95?

I'd still stream at that price.

Quite a fewposts in the link

I'm failing to see the discussion in what you posted. Seems more like a statement.

I just posted some anachronistic snippets. There were only four replies in total. It was posted to a pro-wrestling forum given that naturally there were no UFC forums at the time.

And also 14.95?

I'd still stream at that price.

Good luck streaming in 1993.

I just posted some anachronistic snippets. There were only four replies in total. It was posted to a pro-wrestling forum given that naturally there were no UFC forums at the time.

Good luck streaming in 1993.
I had a wang computer. A FUCKING WANG!

YOU HAVE NO CLUE

I'm surprised no one has asked about my WANG
<Baelish01>

Last edited:
Dude this is cool is fuck. Good find, and thanks for sharing. It's not a lengthy discussion by any means, but it's still cool to see some opinions of people back then that watched the first one as it happened.

By the way, how did you find this?

This is fascinating because it highlights how public opinion may appear to change even when the same questions are asked 26 years apart and we get different answers.

That guy thought chokes should be illegal, presumably because he thought they were a risk to fighter safety, but today he's probably still concerned about fighter safety and would give a different answer if you asked him the same question today in 2020. Did his attitude regarding fighter safety change? Or is that a misleading conclusion...

Research your polling data!

Rodger Cliff wasn’t a fan of ‘the choke hold’ apparently.

Thats pretty cool.

These 4 founding fathers went on to create the website we know as “Sherdog.”

Dude this is cool is fuck. Good find, and thanks for sharing. It's not a lengthy discussion by any means, but it's still cool to see some opinions of people back then that watched the first one as it happened.

By the way, how did you find this?

Honestly? Someone posted it on reddit a while back but I had double yellows at the time. I figured I'd share it once my double yellows were gone since y'all would find it interesting. I would not be surprised if there are even older postings (perhaps about the UFC but predating UFC 1) but I don't have the skills to find it.

Wow didn't know that internet forum's existed in 1993 already. Interesting

These 4 founding fathers went on to create the website we know as “Sherdog.”

One of the four is called John Nash and there is a John Nash that works for Bloody Elbow. I don't think they are the same person though.

My mom actually ordered it for my friends and i...we were pretty disappointed

Back