Ongoing Team Lloyd Irvin Scandal - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Maldonado was acquitted of at least one charge today. Not surprising, since so many were charged, but disappointing nonetheless.

I hope to get some details soon.

God I really hope we don't have a huge disaster on behalf of the prosecution.

So Maldonado was acquitted of at least one charge today. Not surprising, since so many were charged, but disappointing nonetheless.

I hope to get some details soon.

I saw that posted this morning before the jury was even due back. My guess is that the judge acquitted on one charge due to lack of evidence? I could see something like the cell phone theft charge going like that. Maybe there was only evidence of Schultz taking the phone.

They are facing like fifteen charges each, so I'm not sure it really means much overall. Hopefully we get a news report eventually or something.

I saw that posted this morning before the jury was even due back. My guess is that the judge acquitted on one charge due to lack of evidence? I could see something like the cell phone theft charge going like that. Maybe there was only evidence of Schultz taking the phone.

They are facing like fifteen charges each, so I'm not sure it really means much overall. Hopefully we get a news report eventually or something.

Just one charge dismissed probably doesn't mean anything... let's hope they are found guilty of the ones that matter.

I can't stand the fact these guys are right up the road from me.

Pretty much. Plus they threw in the kitchen sink when they charged them, so this is expected.

I'm most curious about Schultz's testimony. I hope he crashes and burns on the stand and the jury sees him for who he is.

Where are you guys following along for the trial?

I'm visualizing something large and heavy with many sharp corners. Maybe one of those big leather-bound books with brass corner protectors. I'm imagining the effect if one of those were hurled with great force at a sensitive part of the body.

That's the thing I think I'll miss the most with all these electronic gadgets. There's just not enough potential for metaphoric violence. Nobody ever says "throw the Kindle at him" or "throw the PDF file at him".
Plus, you can slam down a phone receiver when you're mad, cant do what with a cell phone. Yes, that's from Seinfeld.

Where are you guys following along for the trial?

https://www.dccourts.gov/cco/maincase.jsf

Just type in Matthew Maldonado or Nicholas Schultz to find the case.

The trial is resuming tomorrow and Maldonado got sent back to jail for the night, so it looks like his acquittal is just on one of the many charges. The point of charging them with so many things was to give the jury options in case one of them tried to do something like Lloyd did in his case. If the prosecutors had charged Lloyd with kidnapping too, no way he would have walked free on a limp dick defense.

For the record, they were initially charged with kidnapping, eight separate counts of sexual abuse, attempted aggravated assault, and robbery. They were charged with six more counts too, but I can't see them because the docket ran out of room to list them all.

They got four dismissed pretrial, so they should be tried on thirteen counts here.

Defense closing arguments tomorrow. Hopefully this thing is over sooner rather than later.

Again. Thank you guys for keeping us updated. I recently had two former members of TLI at my school for a seminar, and they both describe leaving Lloyd's as "We fled in the middle of the night"

I am disappointed that Nyjah testified.

You're disappointed?

You're disappointed?

Yeah, I am guessing because she is testifying for the defense of Schulz and Maldonado. People say that she is a nice/genuine person when you meet her so I think a lot of people are disappointed that she stuck with TLI and is supporting them and the two accused. I don't think that her testifying is surprising anyone though.
Who knows what her situation or reasons are for testifying? Is she being told she has to testify by someone?
Then again she stuck with TLI, so she may be supporting them and the accused in full.

Not sure if she will testify about specifics of the case or if she is mostly going to be a character witness.

Speculation only but as a character witness, I can only guess she would be testifying to the standard stuff that character witnesses do. IE - hard working, works with kids (if they did), teaches after school program (if they did, IDK), & treated all others with respect, etc...
Nyjah is a decorated competitor, is educated (iirc), has no troubled past that we know of, which makes her a good witness and probably the only one left at TLI for the defense of the two accused.

If she is there to be a witness to specifics of the case, that is where things get interesting. I guess the defense is using the argument that it was consensual, she could be a critical witness to make that argument for them. (IE- I know her as a training partner, this is her past, this is what she told me, etc...).

Don't they claim that the female who was assaulted in this case still trains at TLI? Seems awkward that one of the prominent females on the team (if not the most) would be testifying for these two accused if the victim is still at TLI.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am guessing because she is testifying for the defense of Schulz and Maldonado. People say that she is a nice/genuine person when you meet her so I think a lot of people are disappointed that she stuck with TLI and is supporting them and the two accused. I don't think that her testifying is surprising anyone though.
Who knows what her situation or reasons are for testifying? Is she being told she has to testify by someone?
Then again she stuck with TLI, so she may be supporting them and the accused in full.

Not sure if she will testify about specifics of the case or if she is mostly going to be a character witness.

Speculation only but as a character witness, I can only guess she would be testifying to the standard stuff that character witnesses do. IE - hard working, works with kids (if they did), teaches after school program (if they did, IDK), & treated all others with respect, etc...
Nyjah is a decorated competitor, is educated (iirc), has no troubled past that we know of, which makes her a good witness and probably the only one left at TLI for the defense of the two accused.

If she is there to be a witness to specifics of the case, that is where things get interesting. I guess the defense is using the argument that it was consensual, she could be a critical witness to make that argument for them. (IE- I know her as a training partner, this is her past, this is what she told me, etc...).

Don't they claim that the female who was assaulted in this case still trains at TLI? Seems awkward that one of the prominent females on the team (if not the most) would be testifying for these two accused if the victim is still at TLI.

The victim left a LONG time ago. That was just Lloyd's lies.

Nyjah testified about how exclusive the medal chasers are, how incredible the two athletes are, and other bs. She talked about the no fraternizing rule for the medal chasers, and claimed that this case was because the victim had sex with the attackers and felt guilty about it (sound familiar?) bc they were teammates and she didn't want to get in trouble.

She also lied and stated that the victim went on a date with one of the attackers (flat out lie).

Fuck Nyjah and fuck TLI.

The victim left a LONG time ago. That was just Lloyd's lies.

Nyjah testified about how exclusive the medal chasers are, how incredible the two athletes are, and other bs. She talked about the no fraternizing rule for the medal chasers, and claimed that this case was because the victim had sex with the attackers and felt guilty about it (sound familiar?) bc they were teammates and she didn't want to get in trouble.

She also lied and stated that the victim went on a date with one of the attackers (flat out lie).

Fuck Nyjah and fuck TLI.

She is either brainwashed or a stupid liar...or both.

One of the most important lessons in life is that many of the "nice and genuine" people you meet will crumple like paper and do the wrong thing whenever things get tough, while people who come across as assholes or unlikable are often the most principled and decent people when things go down ... they grit their teeth and make tough choices.

I have seen this happen over and over again. Being "nice and genuine" makes people pleasant to deal with, but it doesn't rank high on my list of moral qualities. Even in the BJJ world, you can see this dynamic happen over and over again. Even Ari comes across as "nice and genuine" if you meet him in the person. Never mind that he is an utterly unprincipled fraud.

One of the most important lessons in life is that many of the "nice and genuine" people you meet will crumple like paper and do the wrong thing whenever things get tough, while people who come across as assholes or unlikable are often the most principled and decent people when things go down ... they grit their teeth and make tough choices.

I have seen this happen over and over again. Being "nice and genuine" makes people pleasant to deal with, but it doesn't rank high on my list of moral qualities. Even in the BJJ world, you can see this dynamic happen over and over again. Even Ari comes across as "nice and genuine" if you meet him in the person. Never mind that he is an utterly unprincipled fraud.

Agreed. You can't know someone from just dealing with them or hearing about limited interactions they have had with people.

Hell, people used to say Lloyd was a really nice guy and pleasant to talk to.

Word. Besides, the most cynical people of any considerable intelligence have figured out that being likeable is one of the easiest ways of manipulating others, so you never know the real psychopaths until you find yourself at odds with their interests.

Word. Besides, the most cynical people of any considerable intelligence have figured out that being likeable is one of the easiest ways of manipulating others, so you never know the real psychopaths until you find yourself at odds with their interests.

Very true. So many people mistake alignment of interests for friendship.

This is why you have to get to know people very well and spend a long time with them, in different situations, before you can trust them well enough to predict what they're going to do when there's misalignment of interests.

Principled asshole checking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back