One third of all 18-34 year old Americans live at home...

No, they're looking for vanity jobs. There are plenty of jobs out there. They just aren't the kind you get to brag about to get girls. Part of growing up is accepting the fact that high-powered, high salary job you think you deserve isn't coming.

that's not right at all. if those jobs paid well, i guarantee you that most people would take them. unfortunately, mopping floors and cleaning dishes isn't enough to move out on your own.

you seem so far removed from reality that i'm almost thinking you're trolling.

Last edited:
don't care... its a fact, :cool:

"tough times" is no excuse to sit on your ass

i'm sure that some of them may be sitting on their ass, but i'd venture to guess that most are applying their asses off for employment, and they're still not being hired. some of you make it seem like jobs abound left-and-right. you haven't heard about the shit economy that we've been having? wtf?

Sounds like people need to get better personalities.

A lot of people right out of college are awkward and socially inept.

It's funny that real estate folks use that to advertise "pent up housing demand" what they dont' know is that many of these guys are perfectly happy spending their lives in their mom's basements. It's a new breed of sissified "men".

Its pretty normal in other parts of the world to live with elders at an older age, especially if you aren't married.

Not that I'd ever want to do it.

Sometimes complacency is persons own worst enemy. I was kicked out at 19. Sink or swim.

I just turned 18 recently. I've been somewhat of a shut in for the last 3 years due to severe mental illness. I managed to graduate from school but I've got no fucking clue how I'm gonna survive adulthood. Probably won't.

A lot of people right out of college are awkward and socially inept.

Fucking this! I came out charismatic, I had my shit together, and I know how to sell myself. If you give cookie cutter "career center" bullshit answers to interview questions, can you really complain that you didn't get the gig? You didn't distinguish yourself from the pack!

Being personable goes a helluva long way. The suit and tie is only one part of the package. If you can't make your future boss remember your name, then you simply weren't good enough. Yes it's harsh, yes it's stern, but it's the goddamn truth.

If one third of my generation can't sell themselves well enough to get a shit tier job and work their way up, we have more problems than the statistic. As a current member of the shit tier, it's not that hard.

Just playing devils advocate, but I don't really see a problem as long as the young adults are working/ actively trying to better themselves.
In many other countries it's normal to live at home until you get married or become financially independent. In America, the reason it's looked down on is cultural, not because it stops you from having a full adult life.

How many of you know people that are gainfully employed, could more than easily move out of the parents house and still don't?

I know quite a few people like this too. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of this as well.

How many of you know people that are gainfully employed, could more than easily move out of the parents house and still don't?

I know quite a few people like this too. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of this as well.

My brother lived at home after college as an engineer for Verizon. Had a great salary and could have easily moved out. But my parents didn't insist he move out so he stayed home and saved over $100k in less than 4 years. Used it to fund his private fund and had 7 figures under management before he was 30 as a completely private fund manager. All while living at home and eating dinner cooked by my mom and driving a used car.

My parents were far prouder of that than if he just had some random place to live.

My brother lived at home after college as an engineer for Verizon. Had a great salary and could have easily moved out. But my parents didn't insist he move out so he stayed home and saved over $100k in less than 4 years. Used it to fund his private fund and had 7 figures under management before he was 30 as a completely private fund manager. All while living at home and eating dinner cooked by my mom and driving a used car.

My parents were far prouder of that than if he just had some random place to live.

I'd have done it too if I could have. Can't hate on him for that.

A good friend of mine is a county board member in the Chicago area and has a full time job working for a non-profit. Between those two jobs she's cleaning up and living with her mom at 27. She's going to be set by the time she's 30.

That's a normal thing if you're Latino and Asian to a certain extent.

I got a bunch of friends that graduated college, had professional jobs, and still lived at home for a few years. They lived it up with nice cars, vacations and within a few years bought houses.

It's pretty much just bypassing the Living in an Apartment for a Decade While You Slowly Save Up For a House phase.

But for most white and black Americans this is a travesty.

The idea that people should simply move out on their own just because they've reached a certain age is definitely something that should be re-examined.

This is the main thing I complain about when people start talking about a living wage.

People act like just because you turn 18 and start flipping burgers that you need a house or apartment of your own. You just spent the first 18 years of your life, living with other people, why can't you get roomates while in college or even if working a nowhere job.

Your ass turns 18 and now every job is suppose to pay you enough to live on your own. GTFO with that shit.

that's not right at all. if those jobs paid well, i guarantee you that most people would take them. unfortunately, mopping floors and cleaning dishes isn't enough to move out on your own.

you seem so far removed from reality that i'm almost thinking you're trolling.

Funny. Because I have one of those jobs and I have a three story condo. It's almost like some people can live on a budget and some can't....

This idea is somewhat unique to the US during the 20th century. In most countries young people don't move out until they get married, and even then it's with a lot of family support.
I think you can maybe upgrade that statement to "The Western world, minus Italy".

I couldn't imagine living with my parents as an adult myself. Not because of pride, but because I badly needed a place where I set my own rules. Props to those who handle that well for good reasons.

several factors. for some cultures its the norm to stay with family until getting married.

another, why do guys need a career and a place of their own? some for casual sex, but mostly to start a family. more and more guys aren't interested in that, or are taking their time in life getting to it.

also as someone who lives in LA, the cost of living here is pretty high. i can see why it takes longer to get a place of your own.

It's almost like some people can live on a budget and some can't....

A lot of this. I see people that make good/decent money spend near 1k or more a month on drinking/drugs/parting/going out. Then they complain they don't make enough money are in debt and struggling.

I knew 3 guys in a rental that would quite often let the power go out for a day (they had a pay as you go charge box set up) on the house and instead spend their last $40-50 on a 30 pack and sack of weed. Then they would throw away like $20-40 worth of food and shit in the fridge.

Always confused me why us white western folk move out of our family homes at such young ages. And those that don't are classed as basement dwellers.

Most if not all the Asian people here I work with live in large family homes with the parents and others. Why aren't more western white folks doing this?

Back