One third of all 18-34 year old Americans live at home...

Well if they would just work 3 jobs then they would have their own place.

lol, these self-congratulatory posts are nauseating.

america has failed it's young people. they're told that all you have to do is go to college and work hard, and you'll be rewarded with an occupation. it's complete bullshit. a lot of it depends on the career that you choose (ie: don't do what you really want to do, do what will make you marketable to companies), and the amount of jobs available in conjunction with the amount of folks competing for those jobs.

You could just say "Supply and Demand".

Let's see, job instability, educational downturn, greedy state politicians, corrupt money system, aged government system, overpopulation, tons more, etc. Not a surprise. :icon_lol: The worst thing is there are a ton of homeless people in the world. If you have a home you should actually be very fortunate.

I take it that none of them are stem majors? We have such a stem shortage that we are about to import millions of new americans per year to meet this demand. ;)
I think that has more to do with wanting to keep wages low rather than there not being enough people.

If distance was not an issue I would've lived with my parents for awhile after college to save a few bucks. Unfortunately it would not have worked for me.

I got a job 2 months out of school and at a rate that is higher than the average for my field.

Marketable skills and a personality, that's literally all you need.

You make it sound like that part is easy. It's not easy.

You make it sound like that part is easy. It's not easy.

It's not that hard, but you have to be very intentional about it. Just 'going to school' isn't going to get you marketable skills. You have to choose your major carefully and network like a fiend.

lol, these self-congratulatory posts are nauseating.

america has failed it's young people. they're told that all you have to do is go to college and work hard, and you'll be rewarded with an occupation. it's complete bullshit. a lot of it depends on the career that you choose (ie: don't do what you really want to do, do what will make you marketable to companies), and the amount of jobs available in conjunction with the amount of folks competing for those jobs.

I don't have some high paying fancy career. But I can afford my own place. I allow myself $60/week for groceries. I don't go out to the bar. I don't eat out. I don't drink I don't do drugs, I don't smoke. I drive a minivan, I don't wear nice clothes.

It's a choice. You can choose to have your own place, or you can choose to do all that other stuff.

You find the self-congratulatory posts nauseating, I find the self-pitying posts nauseating.

Compared to The Great Depression or the home front during WWII, we have it fucking easy. Boo-hoo, you can't have an iPhone, 60" flat screen and your own place while going out to dinner 4 times a week and spending the entire weekend at the bar.

I had to "get out" by the time I hit 18. And it sucks because my parents have 2 houses.
There thinking was I was a man, and needed to strike out on my own to become tough. Which is fine...I did become "tough"...I am good fighter. But had I stayed at home and saved, I would be a lot farther than I am now financially.

I don't have some high paying fancy career. But I can afford my own place. I allow myself $60/week for groceries. I don't go out to the bar. I don't eat out. I don't drink I don't do drugs, I don't smoke. I drive a minivan, I don't wear nice clothes.

It's a choice. You can choose to have your own place, or you can choose to do all that other stuff.

You find the self-congratulatory posts nauseating, I find the self-pitying posts nauseating.

Compared to The Great Depression or the home front during WWII, we have it fucking easy. Boo-hoo, you can't have an iPhone, 60" flat screen and your own place while going out to dinner 4 times a week and spending the entire weekend at the bar.

who mentioned those luxuries? i'm talking about attaining a job. do you think that these people who are looking for jobs are doing those things? they can't even afford to do those things lol. they're just trying to move out of their parent's place.

let alone all that other stuff you mentioned.

who mentioned those luxuries? i'm talking about attaining a job. do you think that these people who are looking for jobs are doing those things? they can't even afford to do those things lol. they're just trying to move out of their parent's place.

let alone all that other stuff you mentioned.

No, they're looking for vanity jobs. There are plenty of jobs out there. They just aren't the kind you get to brag about to get girls. Part of growing up is accepting the fact that high-powered, high salary job you think you deserve isn't coming.

I would sooner live in a homeless shelter or under a bridge than with my mother's family. That is no exaggeration, btw. I had decided that by the time I was 25, which may actually have been later than I should have been able to make that decision.

No, they're looking for vanity jobs. There are plenty of jobs out there. They just aren't the kind you get to brag about to get girls. Part of growing up is accepting the fact that high-powered, high salary job you think you deserve isn't coming.

That may be true for some, but I think that is a gross oversimplification and relatively unfounded stereotype of the recent college grad who thinks he should be making 100k right off the bat. I have never met anyone like that, in college or in real life.

I can only speak for my own experience, but the biggest problem I've seen, with my college and law school friends who didn't get jobs or don't have jobs is that they are not proactive. Networking is the single most important thing you can do in college or grad school. While my friends were using their summers to kick back and relax with their high school friends, I was literally going door to door to find someone who I could work for, for free. I spent my law school summers working for both Judges and practicing attorneys just because I worked at it. I don't think its a matter of anyone thinking they deserve a great job just because they went to college, its just a lot of people don't realize what it takes until its too late.

That may be true for some, but I think that is a gross oversimplification and relatively unfounded stereotype of the recent college grad who thinks he should be making 100k right off the bat. I have never met anyone like that, in college or in real life.

I can only speak for my own experience, but the biggest problem I've seen, with my college and law school friends who didn't get jobs or don't have jobs is that they are not proactive. Networking is the single most important thing you can do in college or grad school. While my friends were using their summers to kick back and relax with their high school friends, I was literally going door to door to find someone who I could work for, for free. I spent my law school summers working for both Judges and practicing attorneys just because I worked at it. I don't think its a matter of anyone thinking they deserve a great job just because they went to college, its just a lot of people don't realize what it takes until its too late.

this..

jobs are often given on hard work and personal connections rather than personal knowledge alone

this..

jobs are often given on hard work and personal connections rather than personal knowledge alone

Yep, personal relationships are essential. After you graduate, if you didn't do anything other than school, your resume is going into the heap with the tens of thousands of others who waited until graduation to try and connect with an employer.

I got a job 2 months out of school and at a rate that is higher than the average for my field.

Marketable skills and a personality, that's literally all you need.

Ehh.. No. They certainly go a long way, but in a cutthroat job market where there are less jobs per graduates, that is not all you need.

Jesus your life sounds sad and depressing.

Back