One third of all 18-34 year old Americans live at home...

In many third world countries or in developing countries it is more common for people to live with theirs parents simply beacuse the economy is not that good and it is harder to get decent jobs to live by yourself.
It is possibly a worrisome sign for USA economic health more then the fact that people are living with their parents beacuse they are lazy or "sissy".

The idea that people should simply move out on their own just because they've reached a certain age is definitely something that should be re-examined.

This idea is somewhat unique to the US during the 20th century. In most countries young people don't move out until they get married, and even then it's with a lot of family support. It was fairly normal for most of American history for adult children to live with their parents well into their 20s so they had time to get financially established. The historical anomaly of very well paying jobs for unskilled workers that existed in the early to mid 20th century upended this norm but I'm not surprised to see it coming back.

First, it doesn't seem fair to include the 18-21 year olds in these numbers. College students are probably still labeled as "living at home" because that's their permanent address. I think it would be more helpful to see a 24-34yo chart....I bet a big portion of that "1/3rd" number is the young end of this age range.

Also, the part where they "drop out of the labor force altogether" is ridiculous. Even if it's not in your field or paying you as much as you'd like, if you can read, write and function there is some job out there for you. Work it and constantly look for something better, or work your way up there. I give my kids a lot of leeway in life but if they are out of college and sitting on their ass "out of the labor force altogether" I will make their lives hell. Idle hands are the devil's workshop...I don't believe in the devil but there's lots of wisdom in that expression. Do something.

I moved out of my home and moved out of my country before i turned 20.

I think that they are living at home got more to do with that they are comfortable there and got little ambitions, and not with bad job market, student loans etc...

I thought that some of the things that made US great is the idea of self made man. Living at home is Un-American :p

The idea that people should simply move out on their own just because they've reached a certain age is definitely something that should be re-examined.

It's my opinion that the so-called nuclear family may be a historical anomaly due to the relative strength of the USA post WWII.

hello Pan,

absolutely. i tell my younger friends that, too. i mean, if they're getting along well with their mom and dad, i think its a good idea to stay home and save your money.

i get that it can feel emasculating, but there are difficult times for folks just getting out of college.

- IGIT

It's my opinion that the so-called nuclear family may be a historical anomaly due to the relative strength of the USA post WWII.

I agree completely. The relative strength of the US after WW2 is the source of a lot of recent cultural ideals/traditions that in reality have very short histories. Really high wages for unskilled labor, for example. The nuclear family is definitely one of them, the norm in most of the world is a highly interconnected extended family with more than 2 generations living under one roof. Used to be the norm in the US as well.

This idea is somewhat unique to the US during the 20th century. In most countries young people don't move out until they get married, and even then it's with a lot of family support. It was fairly normal for most of American history for adult children to live with their parents well into their 20s so they had time to get financially established. The historical anomaly of very well paying jobs for unskilled workers that existed in the early to mid 20th century upended this norm but I'm not surprised to see it coming back.

It's true for the UK too. It wasn't uncommon in the past to have three generations of families living together, the idea being it helped the young get started without too much stress and meant the old were looked after.

I was lucky, I got my place young when housing prices hadn't taken off in London and they were handing out mortgages like candy. Most people I know are moving out of London and facing two/three hour commutes just to be able to get their own place. Even renting is a nightmare you pay premium prices for absolute dumps.

if you are single, the best system is one where you alternate between your own home and your parents' home at will. you get the best of both choices.

This is essentially what I used to do. I have a very tiny apartment which is what I like and it has no washer or dryer but its insanely cheap rent. So I do laundry at my dads and his wife makes my lunch every week. I get to see my family which is what they want and me to an extent and I get my lunch made it and its always nice healthy food which is a must on my diet.

hello Pan,

absolutely. i tell my younger friends that, too. i mean, if they're getting along well with their mom and dad, i think its a good idea to stay home and save your money.

i get that it can feel emasculating, but there are difficult times for folks just getting out of college.

- IGIT

Yea I moved out for my exgf she was in a bad house hold and we had a daughter together so it was for the best. Otherwise I would have been perfectly fine living at my dads. I was getting as fucked up as I could coming home at like 3am everyday while going to school. I would come home and have a giant plate of whatever dinner was made that night and it was amazing.

I've honestly considered asking my dad if I could move back in. All his wifes kids have moved out except for one and my older brother has as well. Im sure he'll make me pay like $200 a month but that's nothing compared to all my bills now.

if you are single, the best system is one where you alternate between your own home and your parents' home at will. you get the best of both choices.

Im 31 and have my own place and my mums house is 5 mins walk. I pretty much got free food and all the family next to me, and when I need some Gervinho time. I go back to the castle

A LOT of those are women though. And as a society, we don't consider that pathetic.

It's really only sad when it's a dude.

I have my own place and I had to cut out beer, weed, new clothes, and basically every luxury to afford it. But it's worth it imo.

These kids obviously think that having a new iPhone and a Kanye West white T is more important than having their own place. My phone is a Huawei.

It's only a 4% uptick and likely will be restored in coming years.

I stayed at my parents place for 8 months after graduating and I don't regret it. I saved 1k each month which helped me pay off my car, some student loans, and have an emergency fund. Now that I have my place, I only could save maybe $250 max if I tried.

this really hits home to me, because my two brothers were in the same situation not long ago. both graduated from very respectable schools (berkeley and ucla), and struggled to find work. americans kids are coming closer to the situation in europe, with their kids living at home in their twenties as well.

I got a job 2 months out of school and at a rate that is higher than the average for my field.

Marketable skills and a personality, that's literally all you need.

dude, it ain't that easy. it's great that you found a job, but there are plenty of people who have your same skills, that are unable to find work. there are tons of educated folks who all compete for the few jobs that are around.

stop patting yourself on the back.

A LOT of those are women though. And as a society, we don't consider that pathetic.

It's really only sad when it's a dude.

I have my own place and I had to cut out beer, weed, new clothes, and basically every luxury to afford it. But it's worth it imo.

These kids obviously think that having a new iPhone and a Kanye West white T is more important than having their own place. My phone is a Huawei.

It's a new era, with equality and all, most guys don't deal with chicks that just live at home and do nothing. I have a male and a female friend, who both don't want to work and live off their parents, at age 30.

Most young people that buy expensive junk, usually aren't working and aren't using their money to buy things, in my experience.

FRANKIE 総統;95693543 said:
It's a new era, with equality and all, most guys don't deal with chicks that just live at home and do nothing. I have a male and a female friend, who both don't want to work and live off their parents, at age 30.

Most young people that buy expensive junk, usually aren't working and aren't using their money to buy things, in my experience.

I'll take it a notch further. Most married couples who move into houses aren't using their money to pay for the house either. It's all signed off through the parents while the new couple tries to maintain the image that they're keeping up with the Jones'.

I have no shame that I live with one elderly relative who is like a mentor to me, in a nice big house with everything I need. I save roughly 2k a month and I keep my expenses drastically low. We live in a society where people who look rich are actually broke, and those who look broke actually have a little something. People who live paycheck to paycheck obviously didn't learn their lesson in 2007, and the next our government won't be so lenient with unemployment checks and the like.

I moved out of my home and moved out of my country before i turned 20.

I think that they are living at home got more to do with that they are comfortable there and got little ambitions, and not with bad job market, student loans etc...

I thought that some of the things that made US great is the idea of self made man. Living at home is Un-American :p

lol, these self-congratulatory posts are nauseating.

america has failed it's young people. they're told that all you have to do is go to college and work hard, and you'll be rewarded with an occupation. it's complete bullshit. a lot of it depends on the career that you choose (ie: don't do what you really want to do, do what will make you marketable to companies), and the amount of jobs available in conjunction with the amount of folks competing for those jobs.

Back