One Thing I Respect About Jones

He's overpaid for the money he brings into the UFC. For all the hype, he has been a profound disappointment financially for the organisation. And most of his aura was taken when Gustafsson beat the life out of him. His problem isn't the 'haters', it's people's indifference. If he had more 'haters' he would be bringing in more money.

Talented, 2nd best in the division, low to moderate PPV draw and seriously overestimating his own leverage.

Anyone else think this is all bullshit? Sounds like some storyline some kid who couldn't hack it in the WWE would think up.

"I know! Let's make it look like Jones is afraid of Gus! It'll get everyone all riled up and they'll line up like suckers to pay to watch the fight!"

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones, Gus, and the promotion were on daily conference calls discussing twitter shares, forum posts, and media speculation, and finding the threads that generate the most interest so they can hammer on those particular details for the lead-up. It's like fucking WrestleMania. The entire year beforehand is scripted and tweaked to build maximum interest in the event.

It takes no strength to hide. A child could do that. A real man steps up to a challenge.

Ah, gotta love the keyboard warriors who call out the best fighter in the world for being weak and not being "a real man."

Hilarious! :icon_lol:

say those that want to keep others from realizing their potential. Some men won't be kept down. We call them winners.

Not a lot of leaders on this forum

You attract more flys with honey.

Im somehow so out of the loop with this whole Jones Dana beef thats happening... Can somebody fill me in ??

- Why is Jones not signing the contract to fight Gus... Is it simply because he doesnt think Gus has earned it yet? Is it due to him wanting to restructure his contract???

wrong and wrong.
jones doesn't want his face to look like a swollen mess again. it would traumatize anyone, gettin your ass beat like that then be claimed the winner of the bout, knowing you're gonna have to fight that man again sometime in the future. i'd be scared.

Winners don't avoid a challenge.

I don't agree with Jones, but from what he's said on the issue it seems that's exactly what he's doing. He thinks he beat Gustaffson, which he did, and wants to fight someone new - Cormier. He did the same thing with Machida...and he absolutely mauled Machida. I think Cormier is a bigger threat to Jones than Gus...it's pretty clear he's not ducking a hard fight. If he was trying to fight someone else like Rumble then I might get that...and trust me, I think he should take the Gus fight.

I don't agree with Jones, but from what he's said on the issue it seems that's exactly what he's doing. He thinks he beat Gustaffson, which he did, and wants to fight someone new - Cormier. He did the same thing with Machida...and he absolutely mauled Machida. I think Cormier is a bigger threat to Jones than Gus...it's pretty clear he's not ducking a hard fight. If he was trying to fight someone else like Rumble then I might get that...and trust me, I think he should take the Gus fight.

i too believe he should fight gus, but gus messed his face up. jones doesn't want to fight DC cause its the harder fight (even though it should be). he goes from never getting hit to looking like groundbeef, he is definately scared of gus.

Actually Jones is doing exactly what Randy and all them guys did. He's putting Zuffa's hand to the fire at the negotating table because he sits in a position of power. When the roles get reversed, Zuffa will make him pay just like they did all those other guys.

I respect Jones as a fighter and what he's accomplished, but not as a person.

Why do people feel the need to create a new thread, when there is 50 others already on the topic.

Jones clearly doesn't want a fight he isn't sure he can win. He really isn't that great he uses eye pokes to keep people at distance not skill. The UFC needs to get like boxing. A champion fights #1 contender or you strip the title. Riddick Bowe refused to fight Lewis, so they took his title. There is no point in a ranking system if the #1 isn't getting to fight for the title.

Actually Jones is doing exactly what Randy and all them guys did. He's putting Zuffa's hand to the fire at the negotating table because he sits in a position of power. When the roles get reversed, Zuffa will make him pay just like they did all those other guys.

I don't blame them for trying to get as much money as they can, but at the same time, what exactly do most fighters have to offer society outside of fighting? Same with most pro-athletes: nothing. Sure, they can open gyms, or start a fight camp, but success in the cage does not equal success in coaching or teaching. Look at Greg Jackson. I'm pretty sure there are middle-schoolers that could put a beating on him, and yet he's renowned as being one of the best gameplanners/coaches around and knows how to build a team.

Add to the fact that many fighters, like their nfl and nba counterparts, seem hell-bent on spending every penny they can rather than saving/investing, it's a bleak life once they hang up their gloves. Now, I'm sure Jones and the like are banking that they're not going to end up like that, and they probably make enough to where if they're wise, they can retire and just enjoy raising babies out on a ranch somewhere for the rest of their lives, but that's not going to be them.

On the other hand, the guys that play the game, work hard, and become legends without being a pain in the ass, the UFC seems like they're more than willing to throw them a bone. "I know you don't fight anymore, so put on some big-boy pants and a tie, and come work for us doing PR and maybe file some shit at the office every once in awhile and we'll give you a nice salary, with health insurance (because you know you're gonna need it) and a 401k."

That's kind of a hard decision. "Job for life" (who knows?) vs "make as much as I can and be free once I'm done." That freedom includes freedom to languish and end up forgotten, caught on some cell phone footage outside of a 7-11 where some "badass homeless dude" kicks the shit out of some young "street thug" and someone saying "Oh, hey, that's that dude.. that dude from the UFC back in the day! Oh man.. homeless.. that's rough.."

Hmmm well you have several guys have straight up walked away from the UFC while champion....including GSP. And we're gonna pretend like Zuffa isn't the problem here?

Dana white will turn on jones just like he did randy when he can.
The fact that jones is probably the best fighter in the world right now means money for Dana.

I absolutely respect Jones for being defiant in theory, just not in the specific cases of UFC 151 and the Gus rematch. Im a case by case guy.

^ we could potentially come to that situation, "if Jones doesn't sign the contract, who knows, Cormier vs.
Gustafsson could be the move.

wrong and wrong.
jones doesn't want his face to look like a swollen mess again. it would traumatize anyone, gettin your ass beat like that then be claimed the winner of the bout, knowing you're gonna have to fight that man again sometime in the future. i'd be scared.

i asked 2 questions. dont say wrong and wrong. And im positive its not simply "cuz Jones is scared"

Back