One Set at 80% ORM

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm reading a most recent personal trainer text book.

In it, they site a study that says that their is no difference in muscle gained by body builders who only perform one set vs. multiple sets.

If I bench 200 pounds max, then there is no difference in the muscle I gain from 8 x 160 pounds once vs. 8 x 160 pounds, 3 times, with 60s rests.

Then, without siting anything, they go on to recommend one set only for beginners and multiple sets for everyone else.

What's the deal?

Even if that was true (which I don't think it is and I would have to read the study), there would still be overwhelmingly good reasons for beginners to do multiple sets.

It is not true. There have been a few studies of this nature, but all have used a corrupted statistical sample group. (example, using novices who gain on just about anything, or using people already training HIT and then increasing their training volume by 900% and wondering why they do not make progress).

Got ya. Thanks.

If that's true, seems weak it is in a text book.

One of the expensive certified personal training courses. I don't want to say which one specifically.

Ah, ok. Big difference between that and what I was thinking of (actual ex phys text). I was about to lose my shit.

Ah, ok. Big difference between that and what I was thinking of (actual ex phys text). I was about to lose my shit.

Haha, no. I took a community college physical trainer course once and it was on a much higher level than this book. I feel like I'm learning to play doctor.

Back