One question for Ronda haters/critics about her competition.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Melas Chasma, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Is Ronda not a woman fighting other women? Why do you compare Ronda or her opponents to male fighters? I dont know any other sport where female athletes achievements are being downplayed because male side of sport is on a higher level.

You haters are acting like Ronda has some unfair advantage over her opponents which would make her achievements less impressive. But she doesnt have any unfair advantage, you do realize that? She might be more talented or harder worker than others, but since when has that been something to hold against any fighter? Again, she is a woman, fighting in women`s sport. The fact that she is so dominant in her division IS 100% BECAUSE OF HER OWN MERIT.

2. Shaddows

Shaddows Steel Belt

[​IMG]

If you chose to ignore the fact WMMA is about 2 decades behind men's, then the problem here is you, not everybody else.

Look, I do agree it is Ronda's own life. Training hard since she was a little kid obviously put her at a different level than most girls.

With men, when MMA started, they were already competitors in Karate, Kickboxing, Judo, BJJ, etc. Most started training before their teen years.

With WMMA, most women started training much later in life.

Besides, when there is competition, ROnda choses to shy away from it....
    It might make sense on the business side, but it obviously does not help her gain respect from people who thinks she is fighting lesser women.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  3. Handawg

Handawg Brown Belt

The level of competition for Ronda is just weak and there's no debate for it whatsoever. The fact that the skill level of her opponents keep diminishing with each fight is a testament to that.

4. Great Angus

Great Angus Blue Belt

Of course it is because of her own merit. She is in incredible fighter no doubt about it. It's just she is in a weak division with a relatively weak talent pool as well. Not a lot of women want to be fighters. It's a bit of both really.

5. DeathByBeer

DeathByBeer Red Belt

Its a testament to her talent level as much as it is to her competitions lack thereof.

She is a couple years ahead of the field at the moment, and it shows by the ease of her wins.

Shes that good.

Her competition is that ..... meh.

6. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

I dont get it. The level of her competition can be considered weak only compared to male fighters or Ronda. How can that be something to hold against Ronda?

7. Enders

Enders Green Belt

The level of competition is weak not compared to just male fighters, but weak compared to any other major womans sport.

This is because it's a new division with an extremely small talent pool. None of Rondas opponents are extraordinary athletes. When the talent pool increases the competition will get much better. Just like what happened in mma. The Vale Tudo fighter of the 80s were not that special, but you only had to be the best of about 100 people to be the best in the sport. Ronda is really only the best woman out of like 500. Compare that to Serena Williams who is the best woman out of tens of thousands.

Fight Cyborg.

8. cambo78

cambo78 Silver Belt

I don't think people are necessarily "holding it against her"; Most are just tired of the UFC making it seem as though she's some superhuman martial artist that's destroying world class athletes when they are actually soccer moms or have the skillset of an everyday soccer mom.

9. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

Meh.

Honestly, if that's the critique, then all of MMA should be getting the same shit.

The competition level in MMA in comparison to, say, boxing (or baseball, for that matter) is embarrassing.

10. rurouni

rurouni Black Belt

Seriously? I call BS

11. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

How is that materially any different from men's MMA?

I'd wager that the ratio of women involved in MMA to women involved in basketball is pretty close to the ratio of men involved in MMA to men involved in basketball.

12. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

But can you tell me why you downplay Ronda and her competition by comparing them to men`s MMA when Ronda is a woman fighting other women, not a man fighting women?

13. Ottawaguy

Ottawaguy Gold Belt

Ronda is skilled, no doubt about it. I give her Woman GOAT status hands down.

However, any talk of her being compared to Jon Jones, Anderson, GSP etc is ridiculous. It is not her fault that the rest of her division sucks, but these guys fought hard competition to get mentioned in P4P discussions. WMMA just isn't there yet.

14. HuntoGoato

HuntoGoato Banned Banned

No worse than Fedor at the same win totals.

15. Enders

Enders Green Belt

I'm guessing half as many woman play basketball as men, while there may be a 20 to 1ratio between male and female mma fighters. Maybe more.

16. Enders

Enders Green Belt

Talent pool.

17. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Isnt Ronda from that same pool?

18. LeeOx

LeeOx Blue Belt

Then why is Fedor considered by many as the G.O.A.T? He wasn't exactly fighting the greatest competition.

19. tatsuke

tatsuke Green Belt

I'm pretty sure it happens in every sport both genders play.

20. TheJackal

TheJackal Blue Belt

Because she herself and her white knights say she can beat men der