One of Those Days/Weeks

GJJNY

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ever had a day or week when you just rolled like total garbage, feeling like you were as out of it as you were when you first started? Rolled with guys you know you should be toying with, or if you go with someone better/equal skill, should be giving them a much better run for their money?

That's this week for me. I don't ever remember feeling this out of it in recent memory. Anyone share this and/or have any advice on how to get out of this slump? I'm pretty mad at myself and my crappy performance. :icon_evil

I'm having one of these weeks right now. I rolled with this old guy I can always tap out fairly easily, but he choked with me a freakin gi strangle from top half guard. I shouldn't have been careless to let him pass my guard, but I did. But I never roll gi, in fact, he was wearing his gi and I was just waering a rashguard and boardshorts, so I guess it's just something new to me to be choked out by a gi. I've also began rolling with some strong wrestlers who are maybe 15-20 lbs heavier than me, so I definitely need to work on that...

Train light or take some time off. You're probably just burnt out. It happens. You'll come back stronger and fresh.

I've had plenty of those days/weeks. Take some time off and you'll be good as new

your trying to hard..

Just chill and relax.. your not there to beat everyone. Its for fun and try try out techniques, make the adjustments needed..

pick one small thing you did wrong and next fight dont let that 1 thing happen.... work from there.

Everyone goes through it though.

Hell, I'd rather be having your week, at least I would have a chance to roll. My week sucks cause I was sick last week and took last Friday off because of it. Still sick on Saturday and I had to work that whole day. Monday was still sick, and had to work durring my jiu-jitsu time anyway. Tuesday I was starting to feel better (60% or so) so I decided to give it on more day so I could go back at 100%, and I knew I was suppose to have Wednesday night off... Well I was ready to go immediately after work on Wednesday, and a girl decided that she was having a migrane and couldn't work anymore (pisses me off she does it all the time yet I had just worked thursday, friday, saturday, monday, and tuesday sick), so I had to stay and close for her. So, tonight I had to teach a CPR recertification class... and I thought, like an idiot that this was a recertification and I could breeze through it... well I was expecting between five and seven and there were 15, and three were morons (I don't normaly call people that, even if they are, but I'm still pissed), and so a class that should have taken a couple of hours to breeze through lasted almost 5 and I missed Jiu-jitsu again. Really people should have some idea about CPR if they are taking a Re-cert.... If they don't remember a damb thing then they should sign up for a complete course.

I'm by no means good, but felt I'm picking things up. I'm still weak all around but my bad week & espicially poor session tonight has targetted my very urgent areas. Today, really sealed the deal with dismay. I was, for the first time, rolling in front of my instructors fool attention & he saw me take my new opponents back, mount him, play with him and look comfy. I got too cocky, he gave a newbie mount escape by shoving his hands on my throat, I rolled bad and landed in a triangle. I'm not aware of this being seen by my instructor, but I felt bad, I represent him and this newbie busted a triangle on me no matter how I look at it. I am really pissed about this and will never ever underestimate or toy a newbie.

SIDE NOTE- 100% gonna have a private lesson or two with my instructor on armbar and triangle escapes/defense and mount defense/escapes. I may also, if i got the cash and time, ask about effective ways of getting armbars and triangles from guard, I am "ok" with triangles against newbies, but weak against experienced grapplers.

Man, bad sessions, suck!!!!!!!

Big Red said:
I'm by no means good, but felt I'm picking things up. I'm still weak all around but my bad week & espicially poor session tonight has targetted my very urgent areas. Today, really sealed the deal with dismay. I was, for the first time, rolling in front of my instructors fool attention & he saw me take my new opponents back, mount him, play with him and look comfy. I got too cocky, he gave a newbie mount escape by shoving his hands on my throat, I rolled bad and landed in a triangle. I'm not aware of this being seen by my instructor, but I felt bad, I represent him and this newbie busted a triangle on me no matter how I look at it. I am really pissed about this and will never ever underestimate or toy a newbie.

SIDE NOTE- 100% gonna have a private lesson or two with my instructor on armbar and triangle escapes/defense and mount defense/escapes. I may also, if i got the cash and time, ask about effective ways of getting armbars and triangles from guard, I am "ok" with triangles against newbies, but weak against experienced grapplers.

Man, bad sessions, suck!!!!!!!

dont waste the money to get privates on that...

for escaping triangles, what you need to do is posture up and straighten your back as soon as you feel they are putting the triangle on. then, quickly pull yourself out. always remember that having two arms in or two arms out while they try the triangle will make it useless. if you are stuck in it, try moving your arm that's across your neck and head to the outside of the triangle choke, almost like you are bending it 90 degrees on the opposite side that he has moved your arm to try to secure the triangle.

^^

but watch out, because they will try to kimura you when you do that, but as long as you are aware of this, you'll be fine. i hope that helped!

Thanks dood. I'm aware of the rising posture when attempting triangles, my only defense is the hip twist into the one side that usually opens up a weaker persons triangle. I'm unclear about that second escape you mentioned.

Say he has triangled me and holding my right arm across my neck. Are you saying, move that right arm back over to the right of his legs and move my body to the side of his legs? Your description is most probably perfect I'm just having trouble understanding what you mean? Thanks for your advice. Also, in your experience, would taking your arm that is being trapped around and grabbing at the ass of their trousers be a good place to secure your arm from being choked?

Back