One more reason local funding for public schools needs to change.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by panamaican, Aug 9, 2016.

1. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Titanium Belt

Who's gonna be a teacher for dog shit money.
    I have no idea what point you're trying to get across.

2. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

!!!!!

Ha.

3. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Are the schools a hole in the wall because of money or is it the kids and the parents of the neighborhood that tear down the place?

I believe if you took a great group of kids and parents, good teachers and a principal, they could make a great school environment out of an outdated school building.

It's people that matter most in this equation.

4. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't think we need to increase funding either. Simply centralize the distribution at the state level and reduce the administrative overhead. We don't need tons of school boards in every state. Just one, again at the state level.

I agree on reducing the union barriers to accountability.

I also agree on reducing borders. If a child can be reasonably bused to a school then they should be bused there.

PolishHeadlock and Kafir-kun like this.
  5. panamaican

Did you not read the OP? The schools themselves are over 40 years old. The amount of money available to renovations is proportional to the amount of money in the local municipality that funds the school district. So a cash strapped school district will have less money for facility improvements or constructing new facilities.

I don't know why you're in this thread if you're not going to respond to the actual links in the OP. If you're criticizing the studies or the data at least reference which parts you're criticizing and what alternative studies/data you're referencing in your criticism.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  6. gigantalor

gigantalor Black Belt

I thought he was talking to you. Who doesn't like Jerry Mathers?

7. ripskater

ripskater Guest

You could live in a 40 year old house, with a 40 year old wooden floor and 40 year old walls. But a loving family can make that old house a great home. See what I'm saying? It's people that matter most in this equation.

Parts of my house really sucks and need fixed, and my house is ok, but if you came over, you'd look and see my great family and it wouldn't matter that you can lift the counter and sink up off the cabinets and some of the deck is rotting.

Same thing with a school.

8. panamaican

Your home analogy is very poor. Students and families don't control when the renovations will occur or even what they will be.

Instead let's imagine that I decided when parts of your house would get fixed and it would be based on how much money I chose to spend and when I chose to spend it. That's very different from you deciding what to fix and figuring out the best way to do so.

A very poor analogy.

9. ripskater

ripskater Guest

[​IMG]

10. gigantalor

gigantalor Black Belt

Jerry Mathers is 68 now. But yeah, I see your point. LOL.

[​IMG]

11. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Tragic Vision

I agree with this post. There has been too much technology becoming an enabling crutch instead of assisting kids in critical thinking. It's like letting kids use a calculator to do basic math before they can do it on their own.

Parents not being involved in their children's education is becoming another large problem.

I don't think the problem is just funding, I think it is the curriculum and getting away from the basics and emphasis on academic rigor.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    AgedFlatus and ripskater like this.
  12. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Man I hear you!

13. elmo_1968

elmo_1968 Black Belt

Of course not all public schools are shit and they weren't always as bad as they are now, so maybe there's something at work here other than govt. funding/regulation/operation?

14. Greoric

Greoric Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

All of the above, but they're unavoidably tied with the inefficacy government generates. Why don't we just allow parent's full choice, and make the good schools even better?

15. elmo_1968

elmo_1968 Black Belt

Another problem is that unlike private schools is they can't simply throw the problem students out. Ask any teacher how much they could get done if they could kick out the students they didn't want and just teach the ones who are good.

16. AgedFlatus

AgedFlatus Banned Banned

Lmao, "oh no! the school is 40 years old! Give us more money! Think of the children!".

Devout Pessimist likes this.
  17. ripskater

ripskater Guest

They should kick more students out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  18. AgedFlatus

AgedFlatus Banned Banned

Exactly. Maybe the schools need to grow a spine.

19. ripskater

ripskater Guest

They are. Sad thing is these schools are hiring security guards. That's where some of the money is going.

20. AgedFlatus

AgedFlatus Banned Banned

Bandaid. Just expel them.

ripskater likes this.