One more Gladiator mouthguard for me!

fat_wilhelm

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Since mouthguards seem to be the topic du jour, I'll continue on. Some of you probably read my Gladiator review below...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=318949

Well, after posting this, John of Gladiator PM'd me to thank me for the review but also made clear that he thought the one I chose for myself was plain and ugly. He suggested that I let him make another for me of his own design (his treat!!!) -- something a bit more visually appealing, perhaps? I'm certainly not one to argue such offerings, so back in the mail went the model of my teeth. Yesterday, about a week later, this showed up.

guard1_000.jpg

guard2_000.jpg

mouth1_000.jpg

I wanted to share since I think it's pretty damn cool and there were some questions before as to what type of customization is possible besides laminated paper.

Of course, the new guard was not offered to me solely for the purpose of showing that John is an extremely generous individual. Apparently, one of Gladiator's UFC fighters will be debuting something vaguely similar in the next couple weeks and John had a couple things he wanted to play with still, so they figured someone may as well benefit. I guess this guard is different enough that John didn't mind if I posted pics here before said UFC fighter shows his.

Oh, by the way, this is a lighter weight guard for grappling since my original was an Elite and I saw no purpose in having two of the same type. Needless to say, it is just as tight-fitting and comfortable.

TomCold said:
I kinda Like it.

Thanks Tom I consider that high praise coming from you. I would like to offer you good luck and my support as you start anew under a new name, PROTECH I believe. I'm sure your products will be outstanding and the best (next to mine of course, LOL) available. Having two outstanding companies making custom mouthguards in the USA only helps the consumer. Between us we will beat back the ignorance of the quality of boil and bites and provide the people of his country with products that have been the standard of care in Europe and Australia for years. GOOD LUCK and best wishes.

THE DOG :D

Man, that looks sweet.
Do they have a website?

yes try me at www.customguards .com. but wait till after the 16th you'll see the final version on a fight on spike tv. this was just a trial run at some new material we bought and wanted to test.plus we don't list our MMA compatible guards on the web. you'll need to call us direct. the number is listed on the site ask for John. :wink:

Wow that thing is pretty cool! Thanks for the pics too, what model was that Pro or Elite?

Adino said:
Wow that thing is pretty cool! Thanks for the pics too, what model was that Pro or Elite?

Quite honestly, I don't know what model it is other than that it's my grappling guard, and lighter than my original Elite. The whole thing was in John's hands and he'll have to tell you more about it if you're interested.

I still say " I like it" It's outside the box!

okay so.... if that one is the one they gave you because your other one was ugly... how is a pink scary monster any less ugly :p lol

~Foz

Fozzy said:

okay so.... if that one is the one they gave you because your other one was ugly... how is a pink scary monster any less ugly :p lol

~Foz

Fozzy < Russian judge Russian judge = one point less than any civilized nation :D

It certainly is an interesting design but I prefer the boring more simply clear color. I considered the transparent blue as it'd be easier to find if I set it down absent-mindedly.

Is this new grappling guard thinner than the pro model or is it inbetween the pro and elite? With so many choices it's becoming difficult in choosing the right guard.

icedog11 said:
yes try me at www.customguards .com. but wait till after the 16th you'll see the final version on a fight on spike tv. this was just a trial run at some new material we bought and wanted to test.plus we don't list our MMA compatible guards on the web. you'll need to call us direct. the number is listed on the site ask for John. :wink:

Do you guys ship mouth guards to Brazil? I would have to send you like an imprint of my teeth or something like that, right?

That's pretty cool. I have one that the DDS made for me and I love it but it freakin cost $400. I would love to get one with the SSF logo or something of that sort (the $400 in a simple hald black half red design).

www.SSFgear.com

Goro Hida , The crab bushi, yes we will ship any where in the world. We have shipped guards pretty much everywhere, Brazil would be a first though.

Shipping the imprint kit to Brasil and then shipping it back to the US and then shipping the mouthguard to Brasil seems like a costly proposition not to mention a long turn around time. Let me know how long it takes if you go with Gladiator.

I tried to order from the website but with IE it won't load past the checkout link. In firefox it works fine so maybe it;s some setting with my version of IE. I noticed for payments it says Amex but there's no option in the pulldown list. What about Paypal, is that an option or how about a MC/Visa debit card?

fat_wilhelm,

Hey im interested in your review, specially the pictures to see what you are talking about. They seem to be down. Ive been wanting to get one. Is there any way you can host the pics again?

Benito Camela said:
fat_wilhelm,

Hey im interested in your review, specially the pictures to see what you are talking about. They seem to be down. Ive been wanting to get one. Is there any way you can host the pics again?

Benito, when did you check? I noticed the pics were gone the other day and it appears that the site I first hosted them on no longer exists. I reloaded them yesterday on a different site, though, and everything comes out fine for me.

Check again and let me know if they're coming in for you now. I'm on a different computer than the one I loaded them from, so I'm pretty sure everything is OK now.

Back