1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

One Man is Holding Back an Entire Sport

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Boxer Rebellion, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Boxer Rebellion

Boxer Rebellion Blue Belt

The Mayweather Pacquio match isn't just the most important fight in boxing - it is the ONLY boxing match I know of where the #1 pound for pound will fight the #2 pound-for-pound for pound-for-pound supremacy.

The mythic dimensions of this fight, at this point in the careers of the combatants, is something that may never be repeated in history.

It is the kind of fight that could propel boxing back into its glory days, to the time when guys like Dempsey could pack 100,000 boxing fans onto a dirt field.

Make no mistake: boxing, while still a major sport, is on the decline. MMA, while still a niche sport, is rising fast. Of the top 10 all-time pay-per-views, there are 4 PPVs from the last decade. Of those PPVs, only one belongs to boxing. The other three belong to MMA.

Boxing needs this fight.

And yet Mayweather's cowardice is holding up the whole thing. It's sickening.

2. njackets

njackets Blue Belt

Why don't you wait until tmrw or till the facts come out before calling either boxer? Lets not forget who wouldn't take the fight in the 1st place because he wanted to avoid taking drug tests! Very short memorys some people have, the only thing thats sickening is you're bias!

3. chicagocombat

chicagocombat Purple Belt

Pac wanted the fight and was willing to do the standard drug test once a year that all fighters do.

It was "money" that wanted an additional unscheduled test to be done on both fighters anytime up to 48hrs before the match. (which pac agreed to now)

Pac took the fight under standard boxing rules, it was "money" who tried to change up the agreement and rules.

This fight does need to happen, but "money" is retired again.

18 hours to do maybe he will unretire for this fight.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. dizzydean

dizzydean Blue Belt

I'll give Mayweather the benefit of the doubt. If he's not afraid to take on this fight, then what is stopping this multi million dollar fight from happening?

5. njackets

njackets Blue Belt

Im prety sure we can go round and round in circles over this, my point still stands though wait until the facts have come out before calling either fighter IF the fight doesn't happen.Pac fans seem to have the knives out already ready to get there digs in before anythings been said.

6. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

7. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

I am a tad irked that this is the only fight the media can find to cover, or even worry about. If they don't want to cover boxing the way they jumped on covering MMA or the way the cover Nascar; Then Imo keep your paws off it. There are tons of other interesting and amazing fights. I don't watch a lot of espn, But I've never heard of them covering the super 6 tourney, and there were great fights in it, and many coming up. If they want to cover a fight, they should cover a possible Martinez-Williams 2. I'm far more interested in watch those two gentlemen fight it out.

That being said, I don't know what Mayweather's problem is. I truly believe he has the skill set and talent to embarrass Pacquiao; But if he doesn't step up to the plate and prove he's the best, How can anyone call him that. I certainly can't; I can agree he has the talent to possibly be considered the best of a decade, or era even, But he would need this fight at the very least.

8. Funky Fresh

Funky Fresh Blue Belt

obviously pac didnt want the fight bad enough to take a prick of a needle 14days before the fight, and explain to me what "standard boxing rules" are. im pretty sure just about everything is negotiable in a boxing match, like earning a belt at a catchweight, or a $10mil overweight clause

9. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

^^^^ I agree with this. Expect I would much rather
    see a Arrerola vs Adamek rematch over any other fight.

10. DrTrouble

DrTrouble Blue Belt

Well if all terms are supposedly agreed upon then what's the hold up?

11. nonfighter

nonfighter Brown Belt

Hopefully, Mayweather is just holding out until the last minute for a LeBron-like announcement on national TV.

It would be a shame if this fight didn't happen this year.

Would it lose any of its meaning if it happened next year?

12. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

yeah because manny has a track record of popping dirty and mayweather has never came in over weight.

13. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

too bad manny isnt 5 years older. the fight would of already happend is that was the case.

if mayweather dont agree today, the general public will look at him like he's a coward. pacquaio dont need mayweather... mayweather needs pacquiao.

pacmans legacy is sealed. all time great and current #1 p4p. 2 things mayweather cant say

14. Sharkey

Sharkey Who finishes 3rd?

Chavez and Whitaker were ranked 1st and 2nd in the pound-for-pound rankings when they fought each other.

They didn't have any monthly "pound-for-pound" rankings back in the early 80's, but fights like Duran-Leonard and Leonard-Hearns featured fights between the 1st and 2nd ranked guys based on KO Magazine's annual "best fighters" polls.

But damn, this thread title is some bad news for those of us who were hoping to catch the FNF & Showtime cards tonight. Or the HBO card for tomorrow. I guess I'll have to look for something else to do considering Floyd's decision (or lack of) means that those other fights won't be happening afterall.

15. nonfighter

nonfighter Brown Belt

If Mayweather doesn't agree to fight Pacquiao, I see a sudden influx of Aflac-type shirts adorning Mayweather's face on the duck being printed and circulated within the boxing community.

16. prod2821

prod2821 Gold Belt

Brian Kenny on the state of boxing, take a listen

ESPN Radio

17. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

I hope you get dubbed for fighter bashing. dipshit

18. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

Yes yes yes

19. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

hahah you should already know this comment is gonna turn around and bite you in the ass tomorrow right? i wonder what you have to say after mayweather declines.

20. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

If he deserves dubbs for that, more than half of this forum should have been banned or at least dubbed after Fedor lost. Shit was mad.

Maybe in America Boxing is declining, It's debateable, but Definitely not worldwide. In fact, I think it's bigger than ever, especially in Europe. The opposite can be said about MMA, It's not very big worldwide, Only in the US and possibly one or two other countries. I would say it's declining in Japan as well in my opinion.

There are many fighters that they're promoting pretty well in the US right now as well, Possibly to take the place of a retiring superstar. Ward comes to mind.