One-Hundred Things I Can Do Better for Training in 2013

Is donnie a health / sport professional?

I think ill make some goals for myself. Dont think I can get to 100 training goals, but maybe 50, and then 50 "personal" goals, such as stop procrastinating, lol

thats some good goals, people

I've been told he's an actual Physical Therapist but I have no confirmation for that.

I had a rope/fabric performer show me that set up a long time ago. I tried it once. No me gusta. Perhaps I did it poorly.

Subscribe to his channel. He has plenty of good information on there.

And yes, you can do this without a monolift.

I already am subscribed and yes he does. Not sure how I missed that video since I checked his channel. Oh well. Thanks for finding it for me.

I enjoyed this. Everybody likes to set goals but fewer people like to list things they need to do better in order to reach those goals or maximize their potential as a lifter.

My training is less advanced and requires a simpler approach, plus I didn't want to put things down that weren't actually important to me just for the sake of getting to 100, so I came up with 34.

- Supplement with protein
- Supplement with creatine
- Use diet better to control bodyweight
- Go into each training session with a purpose
- Attack each workout aggressively to accomplish the day’s goal
- Treat each set with a more serious and intense attitude
- Make assistance tough using intensity or pace
- Get plenty of volume on main lifts
- Stick to a plan as long as progression is being made
- Make back squat, deadlift, strict press, and bench press part of any plan
- Do more hypertrophy work
- Do more direct bicep work
- Do more lower body work besides just squats
- Don’t max out on lifts at least until I’ve stalled on a program (comp exceptions)
- Foam roll regularly
- Warm-up adequately before training sessions
- Always include regular ab work into any program
- Never skip scheduled ab work
- Do plenty of upper back work
- Read Keo’s book when he is done with it
- Video more of my lifting
- Post more videos in my log
- Stretch after training before I leave the gym
- Make all my lifts
- Don’t neglect conditioning that I enjoy doing such as heavy bag, swimming, running, etc…
- Encourage my friend who is about to begin SS to stick with it and ask about his progress
- Teach my little cousin to lift and encourage him to stick with it
- Stay lean/swole enough to look like I workout, more people listen to you when you look like you workout
- More outdoor distance running when the weather warms up, preferably shirtless to show off the swole
- Find ipod, put more music on it, and use it while training
- Don’t worry about the clock while lifting, you’ll be done when you’re done
- Don’t let winter weather be an excuse to miss a training session
- Spend less time on sherdog while at work
- Minimize stress, or at least handle it better, or at least use hard training as a way to deal with it

I ipod is huge. I love having music while I train and sometimes I need something to amp me up for big lifts. I need to get one.

I ipod is huge. I love having music while I train and sometimes I need something to amp me up for big lifts. I need to get one.

I'd suggest a shuffle. They're cheap, small so they don't get in the way, and come with a clip on the back so you can just clip it to your gym clothes. The only downside is the small size makes it easy to forget about it. I'm surprised I haven't accidentally left mine in my pocket and put it in the washing machine yet.

Yeah I have one but never use it. If I'm taking ~ 5 minutes or so rest between squat sets I just sit there with my thumb up my ass. It will also help put me in the zone of tuning everything else out and only focusing on the task at hand.

I'd suggest a shuffle. They're cheap, small so they don't get in the way, and come with a clip on the back so you can just clip it to your gym clothes. The only downside is the small size makes it easy to forget about it. I'm surprised I haven't accidentally left mine in my pocket and put it in the washing machine yet.

Done it, didnt break. I love mine too.

I'm working on my own 2013 list.

ctrl + f: oranges

No results.

What are you doing Keo?

9. Maybe try some deficit deadlifts?

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll try them; I just don't know how to fit them into my current program :/. They also work on developing lower back strength, right? I might be able to swap out reverse hypers for them on the first session of the week.

62. If you find anything that floors you, let me know; I travel to RI on occasion to see family (currently here).

I will for sure!

82. Show her what the amazing Babyeater does in 2013.

She definitely needs to see more successful, skinny women doing powerlifting. She lost interest in lifting once the weight got heavy on SS. She thought she was going to get fat or something; I don't know what goes through her head sometimes when it comes to training. She thought she was doing it wrong because she was squatting literally twice as much as the girls she trained with, and that she would get fat because of it. I tried to explain things to her, but she wasn't interested.

89. Dave Tate's "My experiences at Westside Barbell" article is amazing with regard for this. He describes the process of making your training partners better than you, and then requiring them to do the same. One of my long-term goals is to develop a lifter who surpasses my own abilities (Babyeater, this means you!).

I just read it, and it was absolutely crazy. I feel as though my BJJ gym takes a similar approach, but the competitive atmosphere certainly isn't even close to what Westside is like.

Thank you for this. I thought I had dedication but reading this really inspired me to push harder today (and hopefully all of 2013) because I realize there are people out there like you who are outworking me every second of the day.

Good thread Keo, its got me thinking for things to work on/aim for the year.

Back