one-hit-wonders of acting.

You might be exposing yourself as being completely off base with this post (especially the part in bold). Just because you haven't seen any of the other movies, doesn't necessarily mean those movies weren't successful.

It seems to me like you're stating actors that seem to only have one "phenomenal," critically acclaimed performance their whole career when mentioning "one-hit wonder." Everyone else seems to understand "one-hit wonder" more akin to the actor having one great big spot, and then dropping off of the face of the earth/entertainment world completely.

While all of the actors you've posted may be guilty of the first definition, none of them are guilty of the second.

well part of the criteria of a hit or acclaimed part is that you don't need to be a movie buff to know it. right?

It's a scale I guess, with Samuel L Jackson being at one end (plenty of notable roles that probably havent matched up to his breakout role) and someone like Princess Leia at the other end (was she in anything else than star wars?)

Matthew Modine (was the lead of one of the best Kubrick movies of all time. Full Metal Jacket. Has had a decent career after that but was never a huge draw, mostly doing support roles or direct to VHS movies)

matthew-modine.jpg

Lou Diamond Phillips (La Bamba. That's it)

Lou_Diamond_Phillips.jpg

I'll post more later. Don't wanna hog all the bandwidth.

My first choice as well.

Liotta and Michael Fox doesn't belong to this list in my opinion. Neil starred that Merlin series, and it wasn't that bad but he is kind of a bust.

Matthew Modine (was the lead of one of the best Kubrick movies of all time. Full Metal Jacket. Has had a decent career after that but was never a huge draw, mostly doing support roles or direct to VHS movies)

matthew-modine.jpg

I'll raise you

fullmetaljacket.jpg

Haley Joel Osment (Sixth Sense kid)

Adrien Brody (he had the Pianist. That's it)

id call Osment a 2 hit guy due to A.I.

and Brody was in blockbusters like King Kong and was the lead in Predators, so i would maybe not count him.
Also the Darjeeling limited was a great movie.

well part of the criteria of a hit or acclaimed part is that you don't need to be a movie buff to know it. right?

It's a scale I guess, with Samuel L Jackson being at one end (plenty of notable roles that probably havent matched up to his breakout role) and someone like Princess Leia at the other end (was she in anything else than star wars?)

Well sure, I agree with that. Part of the reason why I brought it up was the fact that I'm not a movie buff in any sense of the word. But I recognize the faces of the actors that you posted up as being the same I've seen in more than a few movies.

On that note, I'd definitely put Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill on the short list of "one-hit wonder" movie actors. I really can't remember anything memorable that I've seen them in since.

id call Osment a 2 hit guy due to A.I.

and Brody was in blockbusters like King Kong and was the lead in Predators, so i would maybe not count him.
Also the Darjeeling limited was a great movie.

Aw shit forgot about Predators ya that was a big hit. King Kong was really Jack Blacks vehicle though.

Forgot about Osment in AI too. That was more of a critical hit though. Also what has he done since? I guess we could put most child actors here though. I mean it's not like McCauley Culkin has done a lot lately.

he is still a one hit wonder. do you think i'm insulting him as an actor? I already said he is a great actor.

Most people cant name any parts he played apart from Henry Hill in Goodfellas. The movie you posted where he played the lead made a loss - it was not a hit.

edit: by the way the only movie of those ive seen in Hannibal - i didnt even know what the others were until i looked it up, and i've never heard of them except maybe Blow.

stash-1-50a8b94d0f824.png

Are you going to retract your statement about Ray Liotta? :(

matthew-modine.jpg

Anyon who has ever wrestled has seen and loved this

272435_large.jpg

Edward Furlong - he broke out in T2 but hasn't done much else apart from American History X which was arguably led by Norton.

he is still a one hit wonder. do you think i'm insulting him as an actor? I already said he is a great actor.

Most people cant name any parts he played apart from Henry Hill in Goodfellas. The movie you posted where he played the lead made a loss - it was not a hit.

edit: by the way the only movie of those ive seen in Hannibal - i didnt even know what the others were until i looked it up, and i've never heard of them except maybe Blow.

Your stance combined with this post comment more on your lack of cinema/cultural knowledge than Ray's "one-hit-wonderness".

It's like you heard "Beat It" and never listened to music again, and got really confused when people were making a big deal about MJ's death because "he wasn't that good, I can only remember one song of his".

Michael J Fox is still bothering me

Teen Wolf
The Frighteners
Mars Attacks
Life With Mikey
Doc Hollywood
The Hard Way

And does TV not count?
Family Ties
Spin City

Jean Reno (He did a few supporting roles in a few blockbusters like Godzilla and Ronin but he's really only know for Leon: The Professional)

jean-reno111.jpg
Ruby & Quentin
The Big Blue

Back