One Handed Combos

wallysparx

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What's your take on one handed combos, and how often do you use them?

I'm a lefty who works orthodox, so I love throwing a double jab, changing the angle with a long range lead uppercut, then going back to the jab.

I've been trying to work on throwing the left hook immediately after the jab. It works well on someone with poor footwork if I'm jabbing and circling right, then putting the hook right in the gut. But normally the body mechanics just feel so much smoother if I throw the left hook off of a right cross, even if my cross is my weakest weapon.

The double jab is all I use. I'd be afraid to throw that hook because the pivot would be hard to make. Then again I'm still a novice...

The double jab is all I use. I'd be afraid to throw that hook because the pivot would be hard to make. Then again I'm still a novice...

It's not.

I was actually going to post "jab jab, left hook"

The combination i rarely see anyone use is right hook to the body, right hook to the head.

I like the jab, left hook combo. It works pretty well if I've been landing my jab effectively though I use it pretty sparingly.

I'm must faster/stronger with my left side so I do a lot of left hand combos. one of my faves is jab, left uppercut, left hook. You need some quickness to pull it off though

being that i usually have a reach advantage i do throw allot of combos of the lead hand.

Favorites.

Outside at range:

1,1 or 1,1,1 low and high

1 body, 3 head (pivot off the 1 then throw the 3)

1, lead UC (my personal favorite, great for taller guys, step in and throw the 1 short, then pop a quick lead UC off the opponents parry, straight 2 down the pipe)

In the pocket or inside:

1,3,3 (jab, double up lead hook, low then high or vice versa, 1st one is usually set up, then really turn into the second)

Right UC, Right hook or left UC, left hook (im orth) - ( another of my favorites when a guy is getting down low and putting on earmuffs, trying to pressure me. lean back just enough to get room to pop his chin up with the UC, then pivot off and throw a short chopping right/left hook, personally, i prefer right uc to hook..... Watch Andre Berto, he is genius doing this)

right uc, right cross (same as above only instead of pivoting i take a quick step back behind the UC and throw the 2, hoping to draw opponent forward when stepping back, if he is low or short enough i just lean back instead of step).

I like to use the following (I'm in an orthodox stance)

- Double Jab, Left Uppercut to head, Left Hook to head
- Double Left Hook to body, Left Uppercut to head
- Double Right Hook to body, Right Uppercut to head

The first combo is my favorite.
The double jab causes the opponent to momentarily cover up and take a step back, thus preventing him from seeing the uppercut coming to his head. The uppercut whips his head up and sets him up for the knockout with the left hook.

Aside from double and tripling up the jab I like to keep it real simple.
I like the double left hook, to the body and to the head when i'm working inside. That one seems to score well.

I also like the jab to the body, then jab up between the guard at the head. This one works good on guys with a more square stance. I use this on a lot when I spar MT. It sets up right hands to the body well and low kicks.

Aside from double and tripling up the jab I like to keep it real simple.
I like the double left hook, to the body and to the head when i'm working inside. That one seems to score well.

I also like the jab to the body, then jab up between the guard at the head. This one works good on guys with a more square stance. I use this on a lot when I spar MT. It sets up right hands to the body well and low kicks.

Is that Sun-Ra in your av?

A fairly bread and butter combo for me is a right hook to the body, right hook to the head (southpaw).

double jab is all I ever use for a one handed combo

Got to change that! Double jab is probably the best and most practical way to double up on the lead hand consistently. But if your using a double jab and not showing your opponent any variation, it becomes predictable and easier to counter. If your comfortable with a double jab and can use it effectively, start working on getting a hook behind that jab, it will keep your opponent from reaching out and stuffing your jab short with his parry and will make him more hesitant to throw his right hand off your jab. I know from my experience, if I get a guy who doubles or triples his jab consistently but only does it to get off a shot from his rear hand, I will throw a right cross anytime he jabs..... off the parry ideally, but I also have no issue eating a jab to throw a solid cross and will intentionally do so!

right hook body righ uppercut

:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis agreed! another variation to try: right shovel hook body, chopping right overhand (or right shovel hook body, pivot, short right cross)

Try this to get teh feel for it. When you throw the double jab, as you fire the second jab shift you lead foot out and in to position to throw a hook. Now as you recover the second jab you can recover it in to position to throw the hook. Now all you have to do is roll the hip around to deliver the hook.

I really like the left hook, left upper cut or left body rip. in close fighting I throw a lot of left hook to the body, left upper cut then step off to my left and throw a left hook body,left hook to the head.

1,1,3 is always good for me, bait them with 1,1 then hit with the 3 when they open up.

I've been working a jab-lead uppercut combo.
The lead uppercut being thrown with a short, sharp 'pop'.

The over under - right upper cut, right overhand to a 3.
Left shovel hook, left hook to a 2.
Jab, slip to the inside shovel hook, pivot out 2,3 or just 3.
Jab body to an up jab, 2.

I use these a lot.

Left hook, left brock back-hand is the one i'm currently working on.
280shmw.gif

Last edited:
Back