ONE December 5: Rodtang vs Demetrious Johnson Special Rules Match

I don't see any other outcome than Rodtang being taken down and submitted as soon as they switch to MMA. I think DJ is way too much of a challenge technically for Rodtang when it comes to grappling, the guy was considered P4P GOAT at some point and dominated his division with innovative submissions.

Why would they do this do Rodtang as a first MMA fight?

He basically has one round to finish DJ in MT rules or it's game over IMO.
Rodtank via inverted kneebar

Kind of dumb but might still be somewhat fun. Rodtang obviously has a large advantage in MT but he's a bit of a brawler and, as pointed out by Sylvies husband, is much closer to kickboxers in terms of his ability to see strikes coming than boxers or more technical nak Muay, especially of the golden age variety. Still he should have a large striking edge on Johnson.

With that said Dj is hard to hit, fast and pretty technical for mma striking wise. He's also a GOAT candidate in MMA and a good sub artist. I can see him surviving the 1st round by semi engaging and then blasting Rodtang in the 2nd with his grappling and toying with him.

If Dj went for the least fan friendly approach possible then it's his fight to lose potentially, assuming Rodtang does not surprise us with something he hasn't shown us. Dj might want to test himself and at least somewhat engage however so he has a small chance.

It would have been more interesting if it is Rd1 Rd2 muay Thai Rd 3, R4 MMA. This way Rodtang has time to work DJ's body.

I would say DJ is a lopsided favourite right now. Is any betting org crazy enough to put up odds?

this is a lose-lose situation for Rodtang...DJ will shell up in the 1st round and get a submission in the 2nd.

I would be much better if they did MMA with a 10 second stand up rule like Sambo/judo.

IMO something like catch wrestling would be best. Something that blends kickboxing with takedowns and perhaps standing subs. The ground part will be just weird: either a quick sub or a prolonged ultra defensive approach by Rodtang.

IMO something like catch wrestling would be best. Something that blends kickboxing with takedowns and perhaps standing subs. The ground part will be just weird: either a quick sub or a prolonged ultra defensive approach by Rodtang.
Thats shoot boxing, but ya that would be cool.

If I remember right shoot boxing's name was derived from shoot wrestling, which is the Japanese name for catch wrestling so its easy to confuse.
A "shoot" in pro wrestling terms essentially means real or unscripted. Catch wrestling (Catch-as-Catch-Can) is submission based grappling originating in Britain that developed into pro wrestling.

He doesn't need to be. It's Muay Thai, he can finish him a variety of ways. He could for example put DJ away via the 3 knockdown rule.
It is difficult to do if the other guy is running away for the whole round.

When has DJ ever done that in a fight though? He's got good movement, but he's always engaged his opponents.

When has DJ ever done that in a fight though? He's got good movement, but he's always engaged his opponents.
It is hypothetical of course, but avoiding getting hit seems like a probable strategy. Sort of how some Thais that are already ahead on the scorecard manage to be evasive, in the fifth round, and it always seems difficult to even land a punch on them. Maybe DJ will try to challenge himself and actually engage in the Muay Thai rounds, but even I don't think Rodtang will just steamroll him as some people on social media seem to believe.

I don't think Rodtang will steamroll him either, but I think that is more likely than DJ running the whole entire round. That really isn't in his nature, he will challenge himself.

I don't think Rodtang will steamroll him either, but I think that is more likely than DJ running the whole entire round. That really isn't in his nature, he will challenge himself.
I do think dj will run the entire round. He will throw the bare minimum of strikes and even when he does throw a strike it will be a jab from 6 feet away. Wouldn't be suprised if he gets a warning from the ref for not engaging.

I literally said that in the part you removed...

I don't think DJ will run the whole time during the MT rounds though. He will likely stay at distance but still engage Rodtang.

Hopefully it ends up like Aoki vs Nagashima.

I agree with Ichibang. DJ is going to play it smart and get it into the second round for the finish.

A "shoot" in pro wrestling terms essentially means real or unscripted. Catch wrestling (Catch-as-Catch-Can) is submission based grappling originating in Britain that developed into pro wrestling.
Yeah, and I googled the exact link to refresh my memory:
"Shoot wrestling is a combat sport that has its origins in Japan's professional wrestling circuit of the 1970s. Professional wrestlers of that era attempted to use more realistic or even "full contact" moves in their matches to increase their excitement. The name "shoot wrestling" comes from the professional wrestling term "shoot", which refers to any unscripted occurrence within a scripted wrestling event. Prior to the emergence of the current sport of shoot wrestling, the term was commonly used in the professional wrestling business, particularly in the United Kingdom, as a synonym for the sport of catch wrestling."

Yeah, and I googled the exact link to refresh my memory:
"Shoot wrestling is a combat sport that has its origins in Japan's professional wrestling circuit of the 1970s. Professional wrestlers of that era attempted to use more realistic or even "full contact" moves in their matches to increase their excitement. The name "shoot wrestling" comes from the professional wrestling term "shoot", which refers to any unscripted occurrence within a scripted wrestling event. Prior to the emergence of the current sport of shoot wrestling, the term was commonly used in the professional wrestling business, particularly in the United Kingdom, as a synonym for the sport of catch wrestling."

Shoot wrestling was a practical maritial art that was practiced for real but fixed in competition. The grappling of shoot wrestling/Japanese catch was a hybridisation of catch and Judo largely with some Sambo influence.

SAW, submission art wrestling, is a seperate related art that largely competes under its own combat sub wrestling ruleset that has its own belt system and is also its own unique blend of judo, Sambo and catch.

I was wrong, it looks like DJ will actually try to fight in the Muay Thai rounds.

Prediction: Still DJ by submission, either 2nd or 4th round.

Back