ONE December 5: Rodtang vs Demetrious Johnson Special Rules Match

It's a smart move from a marketing perspective, I just don't think the fight will be that great.

Should be exciting IMO.

Rd 1 - can DJ survive? Rd 2 - can Rodtang survive?

Even if the fight doesn't end up being great their will be that underlining excitement throughout.

Fingers crossed Rodtang doesn't sustain any injuries from the bout that could inhibit a fight with Superlek happening soon. Rodtang is tough as nails, but I hope he knows when to tap if he gets caught in a submission. It's going to be interesting.

Why not? Rodtang is not particularly fast on his feet and its not like DJ has an incentive to stand and bang.
Round 1 is Muay Thai rules. He has to stand and bang, or try to run. The excitement is still there unless you lack a pulse.

I don't see any other outcome than Rodtang being taken down and submitted as soon as they switch to MMA. I think DJ is way too much of a challenge technically for Rodtang when it comes to grappling, the guy was considered P4P GOAT at some point and dominated his division with innovative submissions.

Why would they do this do Rodtang as a first MMA fight?

He basically has one round to finish DJ in MT rules or it's game over IMO.

Round 1 is Muay Thai rules. He has to stand and bang, or try to run. The excitement is still there unless you lack a pulse.
I will be excited yes, but the fight may or not be good, that has nothing to do with my excitement.

I will be excited yes, but the fight may or not be good, that has nothing to do with my excitement.
You were replying to my post literally saying the fight may not be good but it will be exciting. Thanks for agreeing...

He basically has one round to finish DJ in MT rules or it's game over IMO.
I could see some Japanese or Chinese fighter who are fast on their feet have a way better chance of getting a R1 KO. I can't recall Rodtang KO'ing anyone in the first round. After five rounds, most of his fights end up in a decision.

Rodtang I know you don't afraid but this is too much bruh
Are you sure you can survive the MMA round
people get drag to the ground so easily
I love you heart but I don't think you can slip from DJ grapple bro.

Demetrious will literally run the whole first round. Just constantly circle, engage as little as possible. Then take rodtang as quickly as possible in the second. If it was in a smaller ring or jitmungnon had any grappling coaches i would give him a better chance.

If it was in a smaller ring or jitmungnon had any grappling coaches i would give him a better chance.
He has uploaded some videos of him grappling at Fairtex. Not sure how seriously he has trained but I doubt it will make much of a difference against DJ.

This isn't in Rodtang's favor, but anything is possible. Nagashima KO'd grappling wizard Aoki in the MMA round when they had a similar fight. Granted, DJ is a more competent striker.

He has uploaded some videos of him grappling at Fairtex. Not sure how seriously he has trained but I doubt it will make much of a difference against
Is that not from when he was dating Stamp or are they recent?
Won't make much of a difference anyway cos you can't catch up decades of grappling in demetrious's case in a few weeks.
But if he was a fairtex fighter and had been doing a bit of cross training in grappling over a few years. I would give him a better shot. They seem to have some pretty good grappling coaches at fairtex. Just look at stamp her grappling is improving all the time.

DJ by submission in the second round.

Rodtang is not a one punch KO artist. DJ will survive the first round with a good game plan, take Rodtang down and submit him in the second round.

DJ by submission in the second round.

Rodtang is not a one punch KO artist. DJ will survive the first round with a good game plan, take Rodtang down and submit him in the second round.

He doesn't need to be. It's Muay Thai, he can finish him a variety of ways. He could for example put DJ away via the 3 knockdown rule. He easily has the hands to put someone away with his punches, he's done it before, and unless I'm wrong, DJ is smaller than his usual opponents. The issue will be if he has to chase DJ around the ring.

Back