Elections Once again republicans block cap on insulin prices

Anyone against the cap is a scumbag sack of shit. As bad as I hate poor-choice fatties and America’s glorifying of tubbies, many insulin users are at no fault of their own.

From what I’ve read on the recent verdict the few Reps voting against it had this to say.

"Maybe when the insulin issue isn't part of a larger thing that is as partisan as the Inflation Reduction Act was, then clearer thinking might prevail, and a free-standing bill that fixes the rest of the insulin problem potentially could could pass," he said

In a tweet on Sunday, Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., who voted with Republicans against the cap - said the amendment amounted to a "Democrat 'gotcha' vote."

"In reality, the Dems wanted to break Senate rules to pass insulin pricing cap instead of going through regular order. They put this in a bill it wasn't allowed in, all for show," he tweeted on Sunday.

They have a point and bundling unrelated shit together to slander Reps and pass their climate nonsense is wrong. If this becomes a separate bill we can come back and discuss those who voted against it.

23127.jpeg

When both sides are bought by the same interests, it doesn't matter who is actually in power. If republicans didn't block it, democrats would have broken out the rotating villain strategy to keep big pharma on their side.

23127.jpeg

When both sides are bought by the same interests, it doesn't matter who is actually in power. If republicans didn't block it, democrats would have broken out the rotating villain strategy to keep big pharma on their side.
LMAO @ per unit.
<{katwhu}>

Most likely they would just pay for their insulin instead of a carton of cigarettes and a case of beer.
You'd be wrong, then. There are tons of diehard right-wing types who work under the table(if at all), smoke a pack a day, drink a case of Miller High Life every day, and roll the dice their whole lives and never get health insurance.

You'd be wrong, then. There are tons of diehard right-wing types who work under the table(if at all), smoke a pack a day, drink a case of Miller High Life every day, and roll the dice their whole lives and never get health insurance.
Fine by me. As long you don’t expect me to pay for it.

Fine by me. As long you don’t expect me to pay for it.
How do you figure? Society ultimately will end up footing the bill for folks who show up to the ER with a diabetic emergency, and no insurance. If we analyze the issue from a financial standpoint, it likely comes down subsidizing a relatively small amount up front, or relatively large amount on the back end.

Let alone the ethics of the issue. Diabetes is not a trivial disease. And insulin is literally a life-saving drug. Pricing it out of reach of a large subset of people who need it, is pretty clearly unethical IMO. Particularly in the case of Type I diabetics, who have the disease through zero fault of their own(I guess they should've exercised greater personal responsibility?).

On a side note, I find it comical that some of you actually buy that Republicans are blocking this out of a sense of principles, i.e. solely because they believe it's a matter of personal responsibility, and not having anything to do with protecting the interest of the lobbies who get them elected.

It doesn't cost anything to see a doctor (although it does for various medical things like physiotherapy, dentistry, and so on that you can't relevantly differentiate from the services provided by a physician), but it does to purchase any medication.

I have lived in both countries (US and Canada) and have extensive experience with both healthcare systems. If you have good healthcare insurance, the American system is vastly superior.

I don't know what the optimal system is, but Canada's system is definitely bogged down by obese and other irresponsible people. And responsible people pay the price.

also doesn't help that we receive 400K+ new prospective patients each year, many of whom are elderly & infirm and are brought in under 'family reunification' programs

Anyone against the cap is a scumbag sack of shit. As bad as I hate poor-choice fatties and America’s glorifying of tubbies, many insulin users are at no fault of their own.

From what I’ve read on the recent verdict the few Reps voting against it had this to say.

"Maybe when the insulin issue isn't part of a larger thing that is as partisan as the Inflation Reduction Act was, then clearer thinking might prevail, and a free-standing bill that fixes the rest of the insulin problem potentially could could pass," he said

In a tweet on Sunday, Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., who voted with Republicans against the cap - said the amendment amounted to a "Democrat 'gotcha' vote."

"In reality, the Dems wanted to break Senate rules to pass insulin pricing cap instead of going through regular order. They put this in a bill it wasn't allowed in, all for show," he tweeted on Sunday.

They have a point and bundling unrelated shit together to slander Reps and pass their climate nonsense is wrong. If this becomes a separate bill we can come back and discuss those who voted against it.

There was a bill in March called the Affordable Insulin Now Act. And the Senate killed it.

Last edited:
There was a bill in March called the Affordable Insulin Now Act. And the Senate killed it.
The intent is right but you can’t just mandate the end price arbitrarily without understanding who is going to take the haircut or the system. There are the wholesalers, suppliers and insurance.

Insurance companies as profit centers is morally and fundamentally wrong. The fact they rake in the profit and are subject to shareholders as publicly traded companies is ludicrous.

Pressure your senators to put up a bill to end lobbying and we won't have to worry about any of this bullshit every again.

Until then, both sides are going to vote in favor of their special interest groups.
Lol @ both sides. Just own the fact Republicans are complete trash and have blocked every common sense bill brought forward this year.
Don't be a partisan bitch and hold your party accountable.
If they think they can get away by scaring you with CRT and transphobia while walking backwards and caving to lobbyists they will.

Lol @ both sides. Just own the fact Republicans are complete trash and have blocked every common sense bill brought forward this year.
If they think they can get away by scaring you with CRT and transphobia while walking backwards and caving to lobbyists they will.

I don't see you holding your party accountable.

I don't see you holding your party accountable.

Can't we all just agree that they're both absolute dogshit.

The democrats have the power to literally pass any bill they want right now through reconciliation; if the unelected, advisory role only, parliamentarian disagrees, fire her like the bush administration did. Both sides are just placating the only constituency they actually care about: the donor class.

It's all a shell game. We have 1 party rule via two proxies. They constantly bicker over crap that doesn't actually matter to keep the populace divided, as is their role. When it comes to anything important, if you look at the legislation they introduce and how they vote, they almost couldn't be more identical in who they serve.

Last edited:
I'm pretty ignorant to the medical system: are there any other medicines right now that have a price cap?

and are there caps like this in other countries?

Biden reversed Trump's insulin pricing rule.

The inflation reduction act will cap insulin at $35 only for people on medicare.

Back