Elections Once again republicans block cap on insulin prices

While there definitely is some fuckery going on, people need to also realize that the US has many more diabetics than other countries. In comparison to Canada, the obesity rate is 43% versus 28%. That 15% extra jump has a huge impact in terms of insulin demand and as a result insulin prices. I do suspect it should only be like 2-3x more expensive than a similar geographical area like Canada however.

I think we as a society do need to recognize that being fat is horrible though. The whole 'fat acceptance' movement is disgusting and leading to people having real world health problems like this. In fact, I think the only people who deserve relief for insulin are children. I don't think adults who've been stuffing their face with cookies and cake for their entire lives with imagined impunity should get any relief from the taxpayers. They chose to do that and they should face the consequences of their shitty health decisions. However, if you were actually born with a condition that required you to need insulin, then I am much more empathetic.

Obesity affects anyone who has to see a doctor. In Canada, obese people take up a massive percentage of our healthcare budget and cause responsible people to have to wait longer or die while waiting.

The obesity 'acceptance movement' is nonsensical, especially for a progressive. Both from a healthcare perspective and scarcity.

I have a cousin with type 1 diabetes and he said the same thing. That he will die without it. But people will also die without food and that doesn't mean food should be free.

But insulin should probably be significantly cheaper than it is. I'm not sure how much it costs.
Food banks exist. Sure there are ways to offset insulin purchases, but not like you can get it from the Salvation Army or something.

Food banks exist. Sure there are ways to offset insulin purchases, but not like you can get it from the Salvation Army or something.

If you are on welfare or some equivalent in the US, do you not include the cost of medical fees? We do in Canada although I realize it's Canada vs the US.

But, even in Canada, none of our prescriptions are free.

If you are on welfare or some equivalent in the US, do you not include the cost of medical fees? We do in Canada although I realize it's Canada vs the US.

Food banks are not welfare or means tested.

The 1st Amendment makes it impossible to end lobbying. It's like a balanced budget amendment, it's just a talking point that means nothing.

Yeah and even if it wasn't in the constitution, they'd never vote themselves out of being millionaires anyway.

Obesity runs rampant in the shit hole states of the south. Lmao @ their senators voting no for this.

Yeah Republicans are objectively worse than Democrats. Democrats have stupid and silly ideas at times and if they happen to stumble upon a good idea, they typically run from it. But Republicans are on some billionaire evil villain shit. More evidence of it.

The 10 highest states with diabetics are represented by 19 GOP senators. Out of the 19, three voted for capping insulin. Imagine fucking your constituents in favor of your Big Pharma donors. We the people my ass, imagine worshipping politicians who will screw you over for their donors every time. Stay mad and divided because the America Oligarchs want you that way.
That kind of BS is gonna get the Repubs voted out quick, despite the disaster that is the Dems.

People are just too savvy these days when it comes to accessing and using information and are very prepared to vote in there own interests. Good riddance to those senators if that happens.

Yeah Republicans are objectively worse than Democrats. Democrats have stupid and silly ideas at times and if they happen to stumble upon a good idea, they typically run from it. But Republicans are on some billionaire evil villain shit. More evidence of it.

{<jordan}

<Dany07>

Kids believe in Santa Clause. Adults believe, "their" politicians really do care about them!

I'm going to call bullshit on that one.

"In the united quest to improve treatment and find a cure for type 1 diabetes, JDRF has released a report “The Economic Cost of T1D in Australia”.

It outlines that after reimbursements, people with type 1 diabetes and their carers spend an average of $257.60 per month to care for their diabetes. This excludes the cost of using technologies such as continuous glucose monitoring or flash glucose monitoring."

https://diabetesnsw.com.au/news/cost-of-type-1-in-australia/

What's most likely the case is that in OECD countries not named USA, the cheapest to make insulin is way, way cheaper, but the most costly types of insulin to make are just as expensive or slightly less expensive.

I don't think you're reading that article correctly. The full link is here, but I'll extract important components.

The key phrase is economic costs. They aren't measuring just the cost of insulin, as you can see from the phrase you've bolded it includes cost for carers. In fact, it includes a lot more; it's an estimation on the total economic cost for Type 1 diabetes. The article itself details how it calculates the costs:

PZDlj55.png

MAUedlo.png

"T1D and the associated health complications place a high cost on individuals, families, governments and the economy. In 2020, T1D cost $2.9 billion through healthcare costs, reduced wellbeing, lower employment and additional care. This equates to $51 billion over the life of the individuals who currently have T1D. The majority of this cost is driven by complications. The average annual cost of T1D for individuals with no complications is ~$9,000. This annual cost increases to ~$32,000 should the individual develop a severe T1Drelated complication –such as blindness or chronic kidney disease. This cost can increase further should an individual have multiple severe complications. Given current complication prevalence, the average annual cost of T1D is $22,000 per person."

I don't think you're reading that article correctly. The full link is here, but I'll extract important components.

The key phrase is economic costs. They aren't measuring just the cost of insulin, as you can see from the phrase you've bolded it includes cost for carers. In fact, it includes a lot more; it's an estimation on the total economic cost for Type 1 diabetes. The article itself details how it calculates the costs:

PZDlj55.png

MAUedlo.png

"T1D and the associated health complications place a high cost on individuals, families, governments and the economy. In 2020, T1D cost $2.9 billion through healthcare costs, reduced wellbeing, lower employment and additional care. This equates to $51 billion over the life of the individuals who currently have T1D. The majority of this cost is driven by complications. The average annual cost of T1D for individuals with no complications is ~$9,000. This annual cost increases to ~$32,000 should the individual develop a severe T1Drelated complication –such as blindness or chronic kidney disease. This cost can increase further should an individual have multiple severe complications. Given current complication prevalence, the average annual cost of T1D is $22,000 per person."

Sounds like a false metric, I take back what I said previously. That being said, to me it seems like there are trade-offs in America. For example the survival rates for some cancers are some of the best in the world, and for some cancers they are the best in world. Also it seems nobody is capping prices on cancer treatment, although hopefully for someone with cancer, it's something they will only go through once, overcome and never have to go through again, unlike diabetes care which is lifelong.

Also I couldn't get any information on this but from what I understand there are different types of insulin which all have different costs to make, so what insulin are they exactly comparing in the graph you presented? I ask because it's always some government statistician compiling these things based on who knows what metrics.

Last edited:
Sounds dumb no matter how you slice it. People who can't afford insulin aren't going to be able to afford major hospital bills. If anything, subsidizing insulin is a form is a form of risk management. But i śuppose that does little to help Rx lobbies, nor does it line the pockets of politicians/political parties.

And I share the sentiment of those who state both major political parties in the US are trash. It's basically a self-sustaining disease, at this point.

I again had saw casual GOP excuse.
They are obese etc bs.
1. A lot of these obese diabetics were not obese before they get diabete...
2. Approx half from diabetics are with LOW bf % not obese.

3. While obese people really are very huge burden for healthcare and caregivers...More than 60% from them aren't diabetics...
__
Let's portray diabetics as obese and tell: they all are ugly and had induced diabete with bad habits.
Therefore let's forget them and move to next program...

They should block everything at this point. Let dems win and they can burn it all down.

When you go to a doctor, do you have to pay anything? Does me in that I spend $700 a month but if I need to go in for something I pay $30 to see my GP, $40 for an XRay and then $20 for bloodwork. Expensive day out! My surgery only cost me $125 but no one told me about that. I guess if I couldn't afford it they would just charge me for it at a later date.
The UK and Canada seem to have it worked out, I hope Canada's version of the NHS is better.

I'm a type 1 diabetic the supplies cost me more than anything.

I have great insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back