Once again, people don't understand what a robbery is...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DysDave, Sep 22, 2013.

1. DysDave

DysDave Blue Belt

First of, AMAZING fight!! Far exceeded my expectations, which included Jones winning by any number of ways within 2 rounds, or the outside possibility of Gus landing a haymaker early to end it. A 5 round fight at that pace didn't seem possible.

But as close as it was, I think the right guy won it- if Gus had taken it, I wouldn't have been shocked though. For people to act like this was a robbery is so absurd I don't know where to begin.

The way I scored it (with the commentary on, btw) was round 1 clearly to Gus because of the takedown- most other things were equal. Rounds 4 and 5 I thought were Jones- the damage Jones did in the last minute of 4 was clearly significant enough to take it, and 5 was without question. So it rests on 2+3.

I felt Gus probably shaded 2, again because he landed a nice trip on Jones, whilst Jones did enough in the third to take that. But that still leaves Jones with 2 solid rounds, and Gus with just the one. Not a robbery at all.

Seriously. Watch these fights without the commentary and you will understand how biased it is. When you get a guy that looks unstoppable, and a guy starts having some success, the commentators lose all their senses. Yes, Gus did a stellar job, and could have taken it- but Jones matched him every step of the way. Only everything Gus did was praised to the heavens, whilst everything Jones did was tacked on as a sidenote (until he started taking him apart at the end). I think Jones was surprised by how good Gus's TDD was, and it caught him offguard- especially in the first 2 rounds.

For the record too, I'm far from a Jones fan. I can't wait to see someone dethrone him, and I think Gus may well do when they fight next- it depends how well they both prepare. But bear in mind, Jones is at the forefront of every LHW's mind, and Gus was preparing for him for AGES. Jones comparatively would have known very little about Gus, and he will be far more aware when they next fight.

2. lilianjie

lilianjie Purple Belt

You make a fair point!

3. robmorpeth

robmorpeth Brown Belt

The fact that people are arguing so vehemently on both sides pretty much proves it was not a blatant robbery.
    It was a close fight and I think Jones won 2,4 and 5

4. Cyantist

Cyantist Red Belt

Close close fight. I had a little $ on Gus but I knew when that fight ended it could have gone either way and wasn't dissapointed when it did.

5. Emang8

Emang8 Green Belt

Once again, people don't understand what grammar is.

6. Xaa

Xaa Purple Belt

Right close fight is a close fight. A robbery is when the very clear winner is robbed at decision time. This was close because of the roundsn you mention TS.

Jones' late elbows in round 4 probably saved his title. He showed a lot of heart.

7. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Slightly Psychotic

I had it 2, 4 and 5 to Jones too. I wished victory for Gustaffson and was bummed for the decision, but this was nowhere near a robbery.

8. footodors

footodors Brown Belt Platinum Member

2 points:

1. jones was pushing forward the whole fight
    2. Jones was never in trouble while gus was.

9. Xaa

Xaa Purple Belt

Difference is the people that don't know what a robbery is would claim knowledge on the topic. No person here is claiming to be a grammar expert.

Go to a grammar forum.

10. locust rising

locust rising The mirror collapses but the image does not

Exactly

11. footodors

footodors Brown Belt Platinum Member

quik, go tell momy..she mite give u a cooke

12. DysDave

DysDave Blue Belt

Yeah, a lot are giving Jones rd 2. I'm going to rewatch it tomorrow, because I saw 2+3 the other way round on first watch. Does the trip Gus landed in the second not count as a TD because he didn't end on top? Genuine question, I thought it was a legit TD.

13. joey1980

joey1980 Orange Belt

OK English teacher point out all the grammatical mistakes the OP has made, I can't see many at all.