On Vacation, Any BJJ in West Palm Beach, Florida?

harmony martial arts in jupiter, fl is in the Royce network
mauricio villardo (a royler BB) teaches in PB county, too
ATT is not far in Port St. Lucie and Coconut Creek and other schools in that area

google them
dude, if you go to any of them, PM me later and let me know how it went because I might be visiting that area soon, too

thanks guys, not the fiance is bitching and calling me "obsessed" so it may not happen

Tell her it's better than you being obsessed with golf...if you were you'd certainly want to play while on vacation in PB AND you'd disappear for several hours instead of just a 1-2 hour BJJ class

we are here visting my brother and he works at a PGA golf course in Palm Beach and is obsessed with golf. He works there with a college degree just so he can play on a PGA course for free.

american top team in pompano
or if you want come down to Gracie Miami

Marcos "Parrumpinha" Da Matta is directly in WPB, Fl. I lived in Palm beach for 4 years and checked him out before I moved back to NYC. He has awesome class, he rolls with every student; his classes go for 3 hours sometimes. I cant say how much I wish I did not leave Fl so I could have trained with him.

4001 South Dixie Highway. Take 95 get out on Southern blvd. go east till you hit Dixie Highway and you should see the school on the left side.

Ask your GF does she want you either training or hanging out at the strip clubs, looking at some tail because WPB is very well known for there strip clubs. Give her the option I promise you she will appreciate your training a lot more. Let her know who makes the decisions. Trust me you will save your life if you do so lol

DMcKayBJJ said:
harmony martial arts in jupiter, fl is in the Royce network
mauricio villardo (a royler BB) teaches in PB county, too
ATT is not far in Port St. Lucie and Coconut Creek and other schools in that area

google them
dude, if you go to any of them, PM me later and let me know how it went because I might be visiting that area soon, too

I trained one class in one of Villardo's schools. They have a West Palm Beach one and a Boca one. Very nice bunch of guys. The only thing that I can bitch about is the I95 traffic. The class times kinda fall around rush hour so don't putz around. Get to whichever school you choose early. Check out his logo. It's a Hurricane in a shape of a triangle. In fact I could only train one time b/c of Katrina (which was only a Category 2 at the time it hit FL.)

Great points about the Golf Obsession. When golfers go on vacation with their families it usually "understood" that the golfer will go play on whatever course is near the vacation spot. Why should a grappling class be any different?

This thread raises a general question for me, since I am kind of new. Are grappling schools as a whole fairly accepting/open to the idea of guest training? I know every school and instructor is different, and going to have their own rules, but what have all of you experienced in the past? If I go on vacation to, say, Cincinnatti Ohio, would it be crazy for me to think that I could look up a school and go train for a session or two while on vacation? I would certainly be willing to pay for the privilage -- just want to know how most schools view situations like that?

Morgz said:
Great points about the Golf Obsession. When golfers go on vacation with their families it usually "understood" that the golfer will go play on whatever course is near the vacation spot. Why should a grappling class be any different?

This thread raises a general question for me, since I am kind of new. Are grappling schools as a whole fairly accepting/open to the idea of guest training? I know every school and instructor is different, and going to have their own rules, but what have all of you experienced in the past? If I go on vacation to, say, Cincinnatti Ohio, would it be crazy for me to think that I could look up a school and go train for a session or two while on vacation? I would certainly be willing to pay for the privilage -- just want to know how most schools view situations like that?

Yeah they were pretty open. I just called the guy up and explained my situation. I'm from NY so its not a big deal. It's not like I'm from a rival local school or anything.

Yeah tell your fiance to chill out.
Tell her if you had to pick between bjj and her, it would be an easy choice (then just laugh like you were joking even though your not).

Tell ehr youll be cranky if you dont train, and that it is an opportunity you dont want to pass up. How often to you get the chance to train at different places across the country? She is being selfish by not wanting you to.
She wants you to miss out on things in life?

Morgz said:

Oh yeah......just be humble and don't be an asshole. You'll be just fine.

Morgz said:

Yeah, the Golf Obsession is really annoying to non-golfers (like me). Can you imagine how much mat space you could fit on an 18-hole golf course?

Anyway, I agree that grappling shouldn't be any different. I wouldn't necessarily need to seek out a school on EVERY vacation, but man, if you had the chance to visit Rio, it sure would be cool to train at Gracie Barra or Humaita at least once (not to mention all the other world-class grapplers and their schools spread out all over the globe).

Guest training is pretty much universally accepted. Remember, most schools are still businesses looking for paying students. And most instructors would be flattered that you came all the way from (insert hometown here) for vacation and would like to train with them at least once. Definitely just be cool and humble with the other students, and train for exercise and learning, not just to tap a bunch of strangers. And talk to the instructor for sure beforehand, to let him know your level and experience.

Back