On this day we should remember Houston Alexander's ufc career

giphy.gif
You must have just used wikipedia rather than actually watched his fights.

Teenagers lol

Nebraska was in the building. Even in Europe.
In this standup-centric UFC, he could have a couple more upsets.

I have a kind-of-cool Houston Alexander story: So in 2003 or 2004 (about one year before his UFC debut) Houston would come to a nearby town and fight on Saturday nights. The fight cards basically involved 5 pro fighters (Josh Neer was also one of them) fighting people from the crowd. People from the crowd had to sign waivers of course and the promoter also allowed locals with beef (or those who just wanted to fight) to sign up and fight each other.

So Houston came pretty much every weekend for one summer and just beat the shit out people. Now the fighters were paid to come to these events and for the first 9 or 10 shows there really was no main event, just pros fighting amateurs (and drunks who had never trained). Eventually it got popular and pro fighters were brought in with set cards. But I'm telling you, the first events had guys like Houston show up and fight five or six fights per night, knocking out drunk guys from the crowd.

Anyway, this guy I knew from high school showed up drunk one night and started talking shit to Houston. I don't think he realized he could sign a waiver and fight him at the time but when we told him, and Houston encouraged him to sign the waiver, he about shit himself. He signed the waiver and got in the ring. Thirty seconds later his buddies had to call his mother to come pick him up so she could take him to the hospital for a checkup. He had been knocked out cold after throwing a few haymakers. That fight almost got the whole thing shut down.

I think that fight and one's like it were why they quit allowing people from the crowd to fight because not long after that the pros would show up for one pre-arranged fight against another pro. I think they had amateurs fight on the cards too but bottom line it was people who trained and not just drunks from the crowd.

Just thought I'd share.

he was pre-usada for sure. he's making kangaroo/horsemeat burgers every day

If he had the same match making the Conor gets he could have been a 2 division champ.

So...the hardest FW title shot of all time? #KeepOnHating

Keep on nuthugging the midget wrestler crusher touch butt captain of the world

Houston Alexander

Would have destroyed all of those guys in way more devastating fashion than Conor did

Houston Alexander

Would have destroyed all of those guys in way more devastating fashion than Conor did
I only speak the truth, and you become so defensive?

No shit. Houston Alexander is three weight classes above all of them.

#AndStillNumberOneFWGOAT

Houston Alexander vs sokajou was the shit. Most meaningful fight ever booked. Meaningful as in most understandable fight ever. Good job on the shark fight match maker. If u guys go to wiki and look at there records on the time when they fought and the time when they had there spotlight, u'll no y I said this fight was a good understandable match up. Not sure if I explained it good but....., :)

Houston Alexander

Would also destroy anyone Aldo or Edgar has fought. Stupid post.

I enjoyed his fight vs sokudju or however u spell it

Dude always brought or at least tried to bring violence to the cage. He was just a straight scrapper.

I've got no problem with houston Alexander, but if you think he always came to scrap, you need to rewatch the first round of Kimbo-Alexander.

I've got no problem with houston Alexander, but if you think he always came to scrap, you need to rewatch the first round of Kimbo-Alexander.

He came to scrap very cautiously and didn't really get a chance to scrap before he gassed, lol.

Did he have two serious wins aside from Jardine?

I'm guessing he's talking about Jardine and Sakara, which I'd say was a very solid win, but other than those you could maybe include the Soko win from later in his career, although from what I remember Houston used quite a few head butts in that one.

Damn seeing the Jardine ko gif and that Sandman post ko gif have got me feeling all nostalgic lol maybe it's just because I was younger but I used to be so much more excited about the UFC.

Back