News On This Day: Ronda Rousey Puts Women's MMA In The UFC Spotlight

How times flies, I remember people were complaining that Hendo vs Machida was the Co-main event but at the end that fight sucked pretty bad and the WMMA fight was way better.

I guess that didn't sit well for WMMA haters/MMA purists

Their abilities and athleticism do rise from year to year, just as did male mma in its beginnings. I think both genders skills trajectory is comparable. Today there are several women who could stand their ground vs lower ranked males in their division, Id dare to say.

Their abilities and athleticism do rise from year to year, just as did male mma in its beginnings. I think both genders skills trajectory is comparable. Today there are several women who could stand their ground vs lower ranked males in their division, Id dare to say.

I agree with the first part of your post. I don't know and don't really care about the last sentence but really wish you hadn't said that because now we get a 20 pages holy war incoming.

Last edited:
Nunes and Zhang at least. And not talking about top 20 guys or w/e, but them some low level pros. These women are strong, skilled, durable and ferocious. True high level pros.

I like WMMA because I like fights. Sure, some of them suck, but a lot of the men in every division suck. Also, WMMA has given us Joanna, Rose, Shevchenko, Nunes, and many more very exciting fighters who are all certainly world-class and elite. All of the guys here who complain about WMMA are probably a bunch of loser neck-beards living in their parents' basement.

Some guys truly believe that having a cock n balls, no matter how rudimentary, puts them in untouchable status against any given woman. Megan Anderson is gonna pound that ass out on some Sherbros. And I don’t just mean guys who are smaller stature.

You can be 6’2 and 220 pounds of chewed bubble gum and utterly gas within a few strikes, especially if it’s in front of other people. It’s easy to get complacent and ignore the fact that your cardio is non existent, your movement and agility is trash, and you haven’t experienced and learned how to cope with an adrenaline dump or manage days of anxiety leading up to an event, whatever that event is.

It’s definitely up for debate that some high ranking women in some weight classes could smoke some lower ranking men in some weight classes, I dunno, but it’s not an outrageous proposition.

We have legit female Green Berets and Force Reconnaissance Marines now. It has happened. This was “the thing that could not be” less than 10 years ago. Do I support it? I dunno, my opinions have changed. Doesn’t matter though, it’s happened. And it’s not going away. Dunno where the Navy is at with women in BUDs but I guarantee you it’s coming.

My point is that WMMA will continue to evolve and sacred cows will continued to be slaughtered. Will women ever be on physically equal footing with men of a similar mindset and relative ability? Probably not in all things. Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn’t matter what I believe though, we’re going to see one way or another.

Last edited:
Women can’t compete with men in any sport that requires athletic ability.

They pretty consistently fail to compete with men in darts or snooker too.

This isn’t about WMMA being good or not. It’s just obviously a dumb thing to say and a dumb view to hold.

8 years of salty tears from the patriarchy :D
Bring on 8 more years of just bleed girls!!!!!!

never was a fan of Ronda after she left strikeforce but i sure seemed to enjoy wmma fights back then a whole lot more. the fighters all had holes in their game which allowed them to capitalize and finish. today most of the fights are stalemates (with the emphasis on stale) that end in a decision.

I hope we get another women's phenom in wmma soon. The ride was great. I like ronda's time in mma even though people hated it.

Same - She brought a lot of fun to thee game and brought eyes to the sport.

Will always be a fan.

Back