On this day, 10 yrs ago...

People who started watching MMA because of a reality show, shouldn't debate MMA with people who started watching MMA, because it's the toughest combat sport...
What a genuinely stupid thing to say. I've been following the sport religiously for over 10 years at this point, it makes no difference how I learned about it.

Ohh buddy, i really didnt know the first 1/2 you said...but the rest is complete bs. Cro Cop was the best striker in Pride with impeccable tdd. His defense on the ground is also one of the very best. About his achievemevents, just go to his wiki page and then come back.

Possibly the greatest match up of all time. Not the greatest fight though.

Best striker at the time and one of the consistently scariest finishers of the time, riding a 7 fight win streak (including Randleman, Barnett, Aleks and Coleman), and a 5 fight finish streak faced the GOAT - both established fighters before the match and both in their athletic prime, fighting on one of the best MMA cards ever, at the exact time when the fans wanted to see the fight.

The UFC has never had this, they came close with Cain and JDS I, but not quite.

Greatest MMA fight ever, hands down, no contest, all criteria.

CC isn't on that level of greatness though, so regardless of what criteria we're using, it's nowhere near the greatest fight in MMA history.

What are you talking about? The significance of that fight was huge. It was the most anticipated fight of that era. Definitely was one of the greatest and significant fights in MMA history.
TS schooled you !!

I was gonna do a thread on this about a month ago, but I realized I was too soon when I checked the date.

Easily the biggest HW fight ever in MMA. The build up over the course of a year and a 1.5 or so was incredible in it's own right. When the fight came to a head, that first round lived up to expectations.

Yeah what a Prime Fedor that was.

No one ever beat Prime Fedor.

and I was a member of sherdog then as well ! old skool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judging the fight alone: it's definitely not the best fight ever.

Cro Cop vs Fedor, Pride Final Conflict 2005

Possibly the greatest MMA fight ever.

Fedor-CroCop.jpg

117869693_display_image.jpg

wide.jpg

susumu27.jpg

Cro-cop-v-s--Fedor-mma-661826_600_327.jpg

Thank you. One of my all time favorites. Two Legends.

Here's the entire fight from the ref cam and a Croatian documentary leading up to the figth
[YT]Q7_YgtVloa0[/YT]
[YT]Qf6YecV7K_0[/YT]
Also, if anybody cares I wrote an article yesterday regarding this anniversary.
Link in the sig.

I created my first Sherdog account to discuss this fight IIRC

Damn this fight was HUGE at the time, can't believe it was 10 years ago... time flies...

MMA was so much more interesting back then. I still follow the sport because of the resurgence of some of my favorite old-school fighters, but I really miss stomps/soccer kicks... and big events in Japan in general. The atmosphere was great.

It's too bad that I've been to only 2 Fedor fights live, and both were at the end of his career when he was declining (AA and Brett Rogers), but I'll never forget them.

Wanderlei's intro live is also amazing. The 3 times I've seen him live, people went nuts when Sandstorm started playing, everyone stood up and was kicking the floor, in particular at UFC 99 the whole arena was trembling during Wand's intro, shit was crazy.

If you've never been to a live event, don't miss the chance if you get an opportunity, the experience is totally worth it.

RF

FEDOR GOAT

Judging the fight alone: it's definitely not the best fight ever.

I agree. It was definitely one of the most anticipated fights ever (because it was supposed to happen previously several times), but the fight itself?

Good fight, but not great.

OK buddy. CC wasn't even the second best HW of his era and has losses in his prime to Mark Hunt and Kevin Randleman. He was one-dimensional and his achievemevents are often wildly exaggerated.

Yea fighters can't get caught or lose at all I guess. Anyways, you don't know what you're talking about. CC vs Fedor was the most anticipated fight in mma history (especially that era). Yes, agree with other TS did school you

Back