On The Mat SLC 420

Ygrasshopper

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a review for the OTM SLC 420 pearl weave Gi.

Disclaimer: As this is my first Gi, my review may be limited.

Look: This Gi is very clean. It has two patches on the shoulders of the Gi and a tiny OTM logo on the bottom of the Gi as well as OTM patches on either side of the pants. The logos are dark red and black and contrast nicely with the Gi. To note, the OTM website shows orange instead of red for the Gi, but I think the red looks much cleaner. I personally am not a big fan of flashy Gi's and was refreshed to find a gi with no patch/logo down the collar/lapel or anything on the back.

Construction: At 420 Grams, the Gi is fairly light. Upon rolling with the Gi, it stays true to fit with no noticeable stretching. The collar is made of uva foam as to not overheat. I find it not to be equal when rolling with those with rubber collars. Although, not the softest Gi, it is by no means uncomfortable to wear. The 420 pearl weave doesn't overheat and also does not soak in sweat too much. The 8oz rip stop pants seem to be holding up well. in the rolling department. However, the rope tie of the pants has started to unravel after a few washes but this by no means affects the overall integrity of the pants.

Fit: This Gi has very minimal shrink. Which is a good thing because it is true to size, but a bad thing for me. I bought an A2 because I'm slightly overweight and thought it would fit around my donut tummy better. Upon trying it on, the pants were slightly too long and the gi a little too long. After washing and drying on High and checking every ten minutes FOR AN HOUR the pants shrunk about 2 inches in length and the Gi about the same. It's still slightly too long, not bad, but I would have been fine ordering the A1.

Overall: I find this Gi to be very adequate, especially for my first Gi. It is by no means the best, but I find it very suitable for the beginner or 3-day-a-weeker.

Thanks for the review.
I am considering this model as well as the SSC 550

Can you provide some measurements please?
1. Cuff to cuff
2. Armpit to armpit
3. Pant length

this is a good competition gi, so is the RSC too. I have competed with it on and its easy to move around. If you have an average or slim-ish build, this is the gi for you

on the mat has been putting out some great gi's lately

Back