On the JRE a serious discussion about the pace of change in MMA

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Starting about 1:27:00, going for 15 or so, Rogan discusses the more or less static nature of most sports compared with the high rate of evolution of MMA with Kirik Jenness & Chris Palmquist of mixedmartialarts.com. It's perhaps the most insightful discussion of its kind he's ever had on that show as far as I know.

If anyone knows of better, I would be happy to give it a listen.

See below:

The whole podcast was above average so I highly recommend it but if you're not a fan or you don't like someone on the podcast I invite you to forego commenting and visit another thread.

Last edited:
Certainly other sports might seem to be static if you don't have any insight on them. I'm not a big fan of soccer but I've seen plenty analysts rave on about the evolution and progress of tactics in the sport over the years, even in relatively small frames of time. MMA probably seems pretty static as well to the uninterested observer.

Didn't listen, just wanted to state that it is probably awesome. Joe is attacked a lot but his podcasts are the best of the best.

Certainly other sports might seem to be static if you don't have any insight on them. I'm not a big fan of soccer but I've seen plenty analysts rave on about the evolution and progress of tactics in the sport over the years, even in relatively small frames of time. MMA probably seems pretty static as well to the uninterested observer.

Yeah. Rogan is looking upon his favorite sport with slight rose-colored glasses. The cause for the most growth in MMA has always been the revision, and implementation, of rules and regulations.

This is why when you look back at the sport 20 years ago and compare it today, it looks like a completely different sport. Certainly though, his point still has merit, better athletes and schools of training have cropped up over the years, and they too have helped to widen the gap between MMA's origin and the sport of today.

Still, most sports can boast the same, imo.

Rate of evolution has been crazy. 10 years from now its gonna be even more ridiculous, and I expect their to be in MMA alot of ex-olympians, high level boxers and martial artists

Starting about 1:27:00, going for 15 or so, Rogan discusses the more or less static nature of most sports compared with the high rate of evolution of MMA with Kirik Jenness & Chris Palmquist of mmafighting.com. It's perhaps the most insightful discussion of its kind he's ever had on that show as far as I know.

If anyone knows of better, I would be happy to give it a listen.

See below:

The whole podcast was above average so I highly recommend it but if you're not a fan or you don't like someone on the podcast I invite you to forego commenting and visit another thread.

Only if you limit the discussion topics to MMA. But there are other topics on JRE with powerful insight that blow the most insightful MMA discussion right out of the fucking water.

This was indeed one of his better podcasts...definitely worth watching/listening.

I agree that it is necessary to have a deeper insight and appreciation of other sports to comment on whether there has been a similar evolution.

I remember it being a lot of hyperbole from Joe saying there has never been anyone who moves like guys do nowadays. It's like Yves Edwards or genki sudo never existed.

Starting about 1:27:00, going for 15 or so, Rogan discusses the more or less static nature of most sports compared with the high rate of evolution of MMA with Kirik Jenness & Chris Palmquist of mmafighting.com. It's perhaps the most insightful discussion of its kind he's ever had on that show as far as I know.

They own the underground, not mmafighting.com

Havent watched but he is right. MMA is easily faster evolving than other sports purely because its so much younger. Same reason why the GDP of small nations can grow quicker than big ones or why babies grow quicker than adults.

UFC 1 compared to UFC 190 is like night & day. We may be saying a similar thing in 15 more years but after that you would assume tactics, training & dietary techniques will evolve at a much slower rate. Whether or not this is the case will be directly influenced by the amount of money available to be made in the Sport.

This was indeed one of his better podcasts...definitely worth watching/listening.

I agree that it is necessary to have a deeper insight and appreciation of other sports to comment on whether there has been a similar evolution.

Neither he nor I said all sports were unchanged, and sure, there may be incremental movement in other disciplines but I get your point. I think it's the degree of change that is so remarkable with MMA, however.

Havent watched but he is right. MMA is easily faster evolving than other sports purely because its so much younger. Same reason why the GDP of small nations can grow quicker than big ones or why babies grow quicker than adults.

UFC 1 compared to UFC 190 is like night & day. We may be saying a similar thing in 15 more years but after that you would assume tactics, training & dietary techniques will evolve at a much slower rate. Whether or not this is the case will be directly influenced by the amount of money available to be made in the Sport.

This is true but it doesn't lessen the impact on the experience for the fans. It's awesome that it hasn't reached it's ceiling yet nor is it even close.

Does Joe ask them about their (alleged) Lloyd Irvin dickriding?

Back