On the ground against standing opponent in MMA.

martial

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am looking for instructional video or information about fighting against standing opponent from my back. I am interesting about the situation in MMA fight when the guy on top is trying to kick my legs, and I am trying to kick back and attack for sweeps.
If you don't know any source of information please share your knowledge on what to be careful about, best attack from top, and what are my best attacks from the bottom.

You get the shit kicked out of your legs until the referee gets bored and stands you up. /end

If he's just kicking your legs and keeping distance I don't think there is much you can do from there. Usually it's an attitude of somebody who doesn't want to engage on the ground, and that he'll probably will not feed you a leg so easily for a sweep or an attack of some other kind.. so at least from my point of view, the problem is standing up if the ref didn't do it before you, and finding some better way to attack him/engage on the ground.

Vitor Belfort vs Saku of old days from Pride comes to my mind as the perfect description of a similar situation..

Does anyone else think there should be a penalty/point deduct for refusing to engage a downed opponent? I mean, not on a butt flop, but if you knock the guy down, then just back up and wait for the ref to reset. Annoys me how people talk like Bjj is not useful in mma because everyone knows it, when the rules clearly favor keeping the fight off the ground

Does anyone else think there should be a penalty/point deduct for refusing to engage a downed opponent? I mean, not on a butt flop, but if you knock the guy down, then just back up and wait for the ref to reset. Annoys me how people talk like Bjj is not useful in mma because everyone knows it, when the rules clearly favor keeping the fight off the ground

Not really, it's the responsibility of both participants to engage. Standing is a much more neutral position than forcing the engagement on the ground. If you enforced a rule like that the fight would never get to stand up once it hit the ground and you would have guys who get "taken" down just to force it to the ground.

I have no problem with people who take it to the ground are unable to finish the fight there so they stand back up.

Sweeps? You either stand up or up kick, trying to get a sweep means you are great risk of eating some brutal punches, although you can look for a single leg from there...

Try and avoid being near the cage so you can spin if he changes angle on you (in attempt to get side control).
That upkick and look for opportunity to stand up are really all these is to it.

Oh and make sure your arms are protecting your head in case he launches a diving punch at you.

And those kicks don't really hurt unless the guy is well drilled at landing them.

Could maybe try some kind of de la riva I guess.

Sometimes the guy on top will be kicking and the referee will not stand you up immediately, so it is important to know what to do. Also in real situation against superior striker noone will force you to stand up. Anyone having experience with chasing the guy and trying to get delariva or X-guard?

Thanks a lot man thats is exactly what I am looking for. Simple and effective.

If you guys find similar things, please keep them comming.

The video gives pretty good idea on the strategy, but where is the best place to kick.
With the front kick do you aim under the knee or exactly the kneecap?
With the round kick do you aim exactly in the knee ligaments or under/over them?
Also when on my back and kicking up with both legs exept chin, solar plexus and knees what are other good places to kick?
Thank you

With the threat of knee hyperextension it'll keep the standing opponent back, so if the rules allow it then kick the knee cap. I'm not big on round kicks while on your butt I feel you'd like good hip rotation to do damage but I do like heel kicks/axe kicks. The heel is a very hard bone so if hit the quads you can do damage which will make them hesitate.

as far as i can tell, de la riva with upkicks is pretty effective.

Back