'On the Brink: Alexander Gustafsson' Behind the scenes of UFC 165

Jones is a beast, I have no doubts he'll improve his game and/or stop underestimating his opponents. That said, I'm with you. Gus has tasted victory, tasted blood, and I suspect he'll have even less fear than what little he had going into the first fight. I just hope that doesn't work against him. Overconfidence can get you put to sleep as Silva so kindly demonstrated for us. The cardio factor, yeah. He's no Condit, but that was still pretty respectable. For absorbing as many blows as he did, I can cut him some slack for dropping his hands from time to time. I can only imagine how numb every limb was from sheer exhaustion. God what a good fight.

He fights like Cruz at LHW. That will only work so far, no matter how good your cardio is. I would even say that his cardio is excellent for LHW, it's just that the output is insane.

Thanks for sharing TS !

Watching those last 2 rounds it gave me the chills .. damn the best fight I've ever saw !

Learn what being robbed means. Learn what ruining a career means. Neither of those happened, in Gus/Jones.

But the good news is this: "If Jones defeats Teixeira and Gustafsson wins his fight, we can expect to see a rematch of Jones and Gustafsson

So unassuming confident, It's beautiful to see really.

He fights like Cruz at LHW. That will only work so far, no matter how good your cardio is. I would even say that his cardio is excellent for LHW, it's just that the output is insane.

I was going to bring up Cain at HW, but even he has his limits as seen in the JDS rematch. Still.. it's pretty gross what the human heart is capable of.

Might just be because I'm pretty toasted but that shit was fucking epic, literally a real life Rocky movie.

Thanks for posting dude, it really highlights a few things when looked at retrospectivly.

I love when they are getting ready to weigh in and Jones is bouncing around saying 'oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah'.

Gustafsson is like, get this freak away from me.

Dana at it again...'no on believed you could do that'.

Except all the people that did.......

We did learn a few things:

- Gus CAN defend TDs and got straight back up again the only time he got taken down. There's a good chance the next fight will also be a stand up war.

- Jon CANNOT box with Gus - even though he really focused on boxing. Before the fight he loved his hands so much that he wanted to box the Klitschkos! After the fight he said he probably made a mistake by focusing so much on boxing.

- What Jon had great success with were his kicks and elbows - flashy techniques that can be avoided and even exploited into takedowns or counters, easier than a solid boxing game like Gus' can be dealt with.

I give Gus a good shot at defending this "unorthodox" but pretty repetitive stand up game of Jones'.

If you add the fact that Gus now has that crucial title fight experience and will have better financial resources for this camp, I think Gus has more upside than Jones.

He just might be a more talented learner with a higher potential from a similar physical frame to Jones.

Your right Jones most likely can't outbox Gus but that's thing this is MMA not boxing. You also forgot to mention that while Jones attacks were repetitive so were Gus's even more so actually cause he basically threw no kicks or anything just punches and he was mostly only hitting the face.

Now with Jones his main issues were very simple distance. He was putting his hand out so much and just letting Gus tee off on his face. That is something I don't expect to see at all anymore in his next fight with Gus because it's useless against him and actually only hurts Jones.

I'm more interested to see how Gus changes his game plan. All his movement was great but I have no doubt that moving like that tires Gus out. He's a big guy to be moving around so much like that while Jones did nothing but just walk him down really. He can't take leg kicks the same way either those made a difference in the final rounds. The spinning stuff is kind of hard to predict so I'm not sure how he watches for that or counters it.

Bottom line I can't wait to see this fight again.

Dana at it again...'no on believed you could do that'.

Except all the people that did.......

haha I was thinking the same. Then the few of us that had faith in him, or support him, end out being labeled as Jones haters -_-

Back