'On the Brink: Alexander Gustafsson' Behind the scenes of UFC 165

Dana"Mr Jones won decisively no question about who won" White

Aint that a bitch.

Trying to keep that unbeatable aura alive that will shatter once again :)

Trying to keep that unbeatable aura alive that will shatter once again :)

I seriously wonder where Gustafsson is ranked p4p. I don't see him in the top 10.

Good shit thanks for posting.

One of the best fight I ever saw. I hope the next shot will be the one.

Great stuff thanks. Amazing fight.

Thanks for posting, that was a well done Ultimate Insider.

Not to ruin Jon's special night some more, but my favorite quotes from part 1 are:

Gustafsson said:
But what I've seen of him, I'm not a big fan. He likes to look down on people. Some people don't see it, but I see it.

Jon Jones said:
I'm so excited to prove that height really doesn't mean that much.

Gustafsson said:
I think he's underestimating me a little bit. I'm going to bring that guy back to Earth.

I love all things retro, especially retrospect.

Should have called it "On the Brink: Of Being Robbed". Shitty ass judging ruined a career.

Should have called it "On the Brink: Of Being Robbed". Shitty ass judging ruined a career.

Learn what being robbed means. Learn what ruining a career means. Neither of those happened, in Gus/Jones.

Eh, I agree it was a questionable decision, but I wouldn't say that. If anything it might have blemished his record a little bit. Gus, if he's confident enough (and there's no reason to believe he's not), will earn another shot, and this time I assume he knows how to capitalize on all the moments Jon gets punched in the face and stands there in disbelief. He's going to go for a finish.

Eh, I agree it was a questionable decision, but I wouldn't say that. If anything it might have blemished his record a little bit. Gus, if he's confident enough (and there's no reason to believe he's not), will earn another shot, and this time I assume he knows how to capitalize on all the moments Jon gets punched in the face and stands there in disbelief. He's going to go for a finish.

I actually see Jones understanding that he can't hold his hand out and just except Gus not to hit him. That was the biggest mistake any fighter made that night. Jones got a chance to see what happens when someone can hit him and I think he's going to change his striking style a lot for the next Gus fight maybe even for the Glover fight.

I actually see Jones understanding that he can't hold his hand out and just except Gus not to hit him. That was the biggest mistake any fighter made that night. Jones got a chance to see what happens when someone can hit him and I think he's going to change his striking style a lot for the next Gus fight maybe even for the Glover fight.

True. He doesn't need to change it much for the Glover fight (reach advantage), but he definitely needs to shoot right away if he's getting caught in the pocket. Glover is no slouch as a striker, and I'm kinda worried for Jon treating him like another Rampage all because he appears to be plodding around the octagon. Glover is deceptively quick and accurate..

As for the Gus fight, dear lord I hope so. Or else Gus will have done more than enough in training to eat him for breakfast. As much as I've ragged on Jon, I was impressed with his composure in the last two rounds. I'm still not convinced the elbow was enough to turn it around, but it landed, and he stayed focused enough to land it, so I respect that. He earned the title defense, but Gus is hungry......

True. He doesn't need to change it much for the Glover fight (reach advantage), but he definitely needs to shoot right away if he's getting caught in the pocket. Glover is no slouch as a striker, and I'm kinda worried for Jon treating him like another Rampage all because he appears to be plodding around the octagon. Glover is deceptively quick and accurate..

As for the Gus fight, dear lord I hope so. Or else Gus will have done more than enough in training to eat him for breakfast. As much as I've ragged on Jon, I was impressed with his composure in the last two rounds. I'm still not convinced the elbow was enough to turn it around, but it landed, and he stayed focused enough to land it, so I respect that. He earned the title defense, but Gus is hungry......

Agreed in all points. The hard part for Gus is Jones made way more mistakes while Gus fought the perfect fight. That leaves Jones with lots more room to improve Gus just needs to work on cardio. Then again I'm not sure any lhw can move like Gus and keep the cardio up.

Agreed in all points. The hard part for Gus is Jones made way more mistakes while Gus fought the perfect fight. That leaves Jones with lots more room to improve Gus just needs to work on cardio. Then again I'm not sure any lhw can move like Gus and keep the cardio up.

We did learn a few things:

- Gus CAN defend TDs and got straight back up again the only time he got taken down. There's a good chance the next fight will also be a stand up war.

- Jon CANNOT box with Gus - even though he really focused on boxing. Before the fight he loved his hands so much that he wanted to box the Klitschkos! After the fight he said he probably made a mistake by focusing so much on boxing.

- What Jon had great success with were his kicks and elbows - flashy techniques that can be avoided and even exploited into takedowns or counters, easier than a solid boxing game like Gus' can be dealt with.

I give Gus a good shot at defending this "unorthodox" but pretty repetitive stand up game of Jones'.

If you add the fact that Gus now has that crucial title fight experience and will have better financial resources for this camp, I think Gus has more upside than Jones.

He just might be a more talented learner with a higher potential from a similar physical frame to Jones.

Jones is a beast, I have no doubts he'll improve his game and/or stop underestimating his opponents. That said, I'm with you. Gus has tasted victory, tasted blood, and I suspect he'll have even less fear than what little he had going into the first fight. I just hope that doesn't work against him. Overconfidence can get you put to sleep as Silva so kindly demonstrated for us. The cardio factor, yeah. He's no Condit, but that was still pretty respectable. For absorbing as many blows as he did, I can cut him some slack for dropping his hands from time to time. I can only imagine how numb every limb was from sheer exhaustion. God what a good fight.

Back