On second watch....

You’re all just seeing what you want to see
because Jones is the ‘bad guy’

He easily won 3 rounds of that fight
I agree that people are seeing what they want to see including giving Jones the win, because that's what Jones has always done. Win. Even while watching it, I had a hard time believing it. I'm like "could Jones really be down 3 rounds right now?"

I also rewatched it, and there's no way you can give Jones round 2 when he literally turned his back and ran away. No way. Reyes took all 3. He was the aggressor, he did the most damage, and had Jones on the run. To Jones credit, he made it look good by keeping the center, and his cardio at the end was impressive, but he lost. The majority of people see it. The ones who don't simply can't believe it actually happened finally. ;)

maybe it’s because striking metrics aren’t the only way to score a fight

Not the only way, but definitely the first thing taken into account.

Don't take my word for it though.

MMA-Unified-Rules.jpg

Everyone who thinks Jones won needs to go read the judging criteria for effective striking. These judges screwed the pooch badly. The rounds should be awarded to the fighter who lands the more effective and damaging strikes. Period. That's what the rules say. We all know who was getting hurt in there.

Watched it with no sound blinds closed mom locked out of basement. I have Jones taking all 5 rounds

Not only do i still think Reyes won, I also think he won the 4th round. No bias I swear...

Reyes hurt Jones more in the beginning of that round then any other time throughout the fight. He stunned Jon and put it on him for the first 3-3:30 of the round. He literally turned Jon into a panic wrestler in that round and Jon picked up the pressure and finished strong in the last 2 minutes of round 4.

Reyes WON RD 4!!!
I agree. WAR ATHLETE.

Not only do i still think Reyes won, I also think he won the 4th round. No bias I swear...

Reyes hurt Jones more in the beginning of that round then any other time throughout the fight. He stunned Jon and put it on him for the first 3-3:30 of the round. He literally turned Jon into a panic wrestler in that round and Jon picked up the pressure and finished strong in the last 2 minutes of round 4.

Reyes WON RD 4!!!
I also watched again, but actually though jon won 3-2. Live ibthough Reyes won, but rewatching, a ton of his strikes were blocked or just plain missed. The numbers on strikes and sig strikes are way off. Jon did not look good, or dominant anyway, but his defense striking wise was generally good. It definitely looked live like a lot more strikes landed than actually did, or were glancing blows.

Two judges gave Jon round 2 and also two judges gave Jon round 3.

Deal with it.

I don’t know if you’re new to the sport or something but we don’t just score rounds based on strikes landed.
If you can’t give Jones round 2 or 3 you really don’t know what you’re watching
What a shitty, dumb post.

Jon outwilled and outclassed him in the fifth round and that ultimately won him the fight, imo.

I agree that people are seeing what they want to see including giving Jones the win, because that's what Jones has always done. Win. Even while watching it, I had a hard time believing it. I'm like "could Jones really be down 3 rounds right now?"

I also rewatched it, and there's no way you can give Jones round 2 when he literally turned his back and ran away. No way. Reyes took all 3. He was the aggressor, he did the most damage, and had Jones on the run. To Jones credit, he made it look good by keeping the center, and his cardio at the end was impressive, but he lost. The majority of people see it. The ones who don't simply can't believe it actually happened finally. ;)
If you consider dodging a 10 punch flurry leaving your opponent gassed and the defensive mastery that requires running, or not impressive you dont know shit about mma.

If you consider dodging a 10 punch flurry leaving your opponent gassed and the defensive mastery that requires running, or not impressive you dont know shit about mma.
Oh okay. Everyone but you doesn't know shit about MMA. I work at a gym with a LOT of MMA fighters on staff as Trainers and I have yet to find a single one of them that thought Jones won. I'd argue that most people agree with me and it's entirely possible that it's you who doesn't know shit about MMA. No offense. ;)

<Fedor23>

Oh okay. Everyone but you doesn't know shit about MMA. I work at a gym with a LOT of MMA fighters on staff as Trainers and I have yet to find a single one of them that thought Jones won. I'd argue that most people agree with me and it's entirely possible that it's you who doesn't know shit about MMA. No offense. ;)

<Fedor23>
I dont care what you do or train. Calling a masterful display of defense like that running I'd a lack of knowledge point blank period.

I guess I’ll have to rewatch it again. I was cheering Reyes, and I didn’t consider him even having an argument for Rd 4. I thought the fight was even going into the 5th, and Jones won that round. 48-47 Jones on my scorecard. Sucks, but true.

What a shitty, dumb post.
No it isn’t. @DarkneT is right. Fight Metrics are a good indicator of how a round goes, but there’s multiple factors that go into scoring a round. A fighter can land more strikes than their opponent but still lose the round, depending on the context and what else occurred.

No it isn’t. @DarkneT is right. Fight Metrics are a good indicator of how a round goes, but there’s multiple factors that go into scoring a round. A fighter can land more strikes than their opponent but still lose the round, depending on the context and what else occurred.
And in this context he's completely wrong and is 100% shilling because he's a Jones fan above an mma fan

Back