On rewatch I gave Jones a pretty convincing 49-46

I am no Jones fan. And I had Reyes winning 48-47 taking rds 1,2,and 3. But round 3 was extremely close. 49-46 Jones is pretty absurd, but 48-47 Jones is not a robbery.

When the rounds are that close, the margin that thin, a challenger has to know deep down, right or wrong, that the champion is going to get the benefit of the doubt. You are not going to beat a longtime champ by eeking out rounds by the thinnest of margins in the beginning of the fight and then limping to the end.

I didn't watch the fight, but I feel the need to have a strong opinion about it. Any advice?

I am no Jones fan. And I had Reyes winning 48-47 taking rds 1,2,and 3. But round 3 was extremely close. 49-46 Jones is pretty absurd, but 48-47 Jones is not a robbery.

When the rounds are that close, the margin that thin, a challenger has to know deep down, right or wrong, that the champion is going to get the benefit of the doubt. You are not going to beat a longtime champ by eeking out rounds by the thinnest of margins in the beginning of the fight and then limping to the end.
So I'm guessing that it's the early flurry in round 2 that convinces you that there's no way to score that round for Jones?

On rewatch, Jones actually knocked the fuck out of Reyes in the first.

So I'm guessing that it's the early flurry in round 2 that convinces you that there's no way to score that round for Jones?

There is no way to give Jones that round. Reyes out struck him quite handily.

People will come around eventually.

Very few people hold on to the myth that Gus won the first fight, it will be the same with this fight.

There is no way to give Jones that round. Reyes out struck him quite handily.
I dont really agree, I just watched it now. Outside of that first flurry the striking leans towards Jones I think and I question how heavily to weigh that original flurry. But we can agree to disagree I was just curious

He forced Jon to reset in the first minute of round 2, but in the process of doing so Reyes did not land a whole lot of his strikes. When Jon reset he controlled the range of the majority of the last 3 minutes or so of that round while using leg kicks and he landed a few real clean jabs and landed some clean shots of his own, it was not as though Reyes was outclassing Jones in round 2, and with Jones effectively defending the majority of Reyes offense as well as owning the center of the octagon for a majority of the round, that is why I slightly leaned in Jones favor in round 2.

And keep in mind this fight was contested under the old unified rules were there were more aspects going into how fights were scored.

Texas Scoring Criteria (old criteria):
(d) Scoring Techniques.

(1) Using the 10-Point Must Scoring System, judges are required to determine a winner of a contest that ends after the scheduled number of rounds have been completed. Ten points must be awarded to the winner of each round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored a 10-10.

(2) Judges must evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, fighting area control, and effective aggressiveness/defense.
I get that but The majority of Jon's offense had little effect or was stopped. In terms of damage and landing cleaner, Reyes clearly took it. Even if he didn't dominate him, he was landing more clean shots (even if he missed a lot). HE stopped every attempt Jon made to take it to the ground and punished him for it.

I'm not saying Jon got dominated. I'm saying Jon didn't do enough in round 2. He got outworked despite being on the front foot. He did good stuff but Reyes did more effective work.

I get that but The majority of Jon's offense had little effect or was stopped. In terms of damage and landing cleaner, Reyes clearly took it. Even if he didn't dominate him, he was landing more clean shots (even if he missed a lot). HE stopped every attempt Jon made to take it to the ground and punished him for it.

I'm not saying Jon got dominated. I'm saying Jon didn't do enough in round 2. He got outworked despite being on the front foot. He did good stuff but Reyes did more effective work.

Is this post all in reference to round 2? Because Jon didnt reallt try a takedown in round 2 I dont think

Is this post all in reference to round 2? Because Jon didnt reallt try a takedown in round 2 I dont think
I'll watch it back. It may have been a clinch tie up that Reyes struck out of and reset.

I dont really agree, I just watched it now. Outside of that first flurry the striking leans towards Jones I think and I question how heavily to weigh that original flurry. But we can agree to disagree I was just curious

So, you want to discount the early flurry because why? It was first? It was early in the round?

Watch the round again just watching what Jones does. He did not do much at all in that round. He did a lot less than Reyes.

After watching the fight a few times again I also can see a case for the 49-46.

Round 1 is honestly the only clear round for Reyes.

Rounds 4 and 5 were clearly Jon’s rounds.

Reyes had his competitive moments of course, but he was also missing a lot of his strikes, in round 2 Jones avoided the majority of Reyes strikes and when he reset he owned the center for basically the whole round.

And round 3 was very competitive and could have gone either way.

MMA fans are not appreciating Jon Jones defense he displayed in this fight.

That's not in the scoring criteria, though. A fighter doesn't score points by avoiding being hit and they definitely don't win a round by landing less, getting hit more/harder with no takedowns/grappling control or by controlling the center of the octagon while getting hit more/harder.
He forced Jon to reset in the first minute of round 2, but in the process of doing so Reyes did not land a whole lot of his strikes. When Jon reset he controlled the range of the majority of the last 3 minutes or so of that round while using leg kicks and he landed a few real clean jabs and landed some clean shots of his own, it was not as though Reyes was outclassing Jones in round 2, and with Jones effectively defending the majority of Reyes offense as well as owning the center of the octagon for a majority of the round, that is why I slightly leaned in Jones favor in round 2.

And keep in mind this fight was contested under the old unified rules were there were more aspects going into how fights were scored.

Texas Scoring Criteria (old criteria):
(d) Scoring Techniques.

(1) Using the 10-Point Must Scoring System, judges are required to determine a winner of a contest that ends after the scheduled number of rounds have been completed. Ten points must be awarded to the winner of each round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored a 10-10.

(2) Judges must evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, fighting area control, and effective aggressiveness/defense.

Controlling the center of the octagon and avoiding strikes doesn't take precedence over landing more strikes and the more effective strikes.

Jones threw less, landed less and was thwarted when attempting to dictate where the fight took place.

You're giving value to something (octagon control) that plays into Reyes' style/game plan of using footwork to stick and move. If they fought again, I guarantee you that Jones wouldn't come forward and would force Reyes to come to him similar to Jones adjusting from the first Gustafsson fight to the rematch. Jones actually benefited Reyes with regard to his approach if you look at the fight with a more detailed gaze.

So, you want to discount the early flurry because why? It was first? It was early in the round?

Watch the round again just watching what Jones does. He did not do much at all in that round. He did a lot less than Reyes.

No I dont want to discount it at all
But the rest of the round, with the exception of a late uppercut, Reyes does next to nothing and Jones lands some decent offense including a lead hook and a counter straight off of a kick and some good kicks. What I'm not doing is counting the flurry as more significant because it came in one bunch. I thought round 3 was far tougher to score and 100% understand why someone scored it for Reyes. I just dont think that about round 2.

But i honestly dont have an issue with you disagreeing, I dont want to convince you. The point of the thread is that it's not a robbery - how the actual scoresheets for others breakdown is of no consequence. I was just curious if it was the flurry that makes you think theres no way to score it for Jones... or if it's something else, because I plan on watching the fight again and would like to be on the lookout for things I missed.

I am speaking specifically about round 2, Reyes did not have a significant amount of clean offense landed in round 2, he tried with that flurry but Jones avoided most of those significant strikes Reyes attempted and that was just inside one minute of round 2.

Over the next 4 minutes of the round Jon was leading the dance, he was also doing a good job of checking Reyes kicks and defending Reyes kicks, while opening up with kicks of his own. Jon began to land some clean solid leg kicks he landed a solid side kick to Reyes body and he landed a good left hook and some clean jabs. Reyes best shot was an uppercut he caught Jones with, but I value Jones 4 minutes of controlling the pace and making Reyes go backwards as well as attacking with his kicks and landing some good clean strikes of his own enough to win that round for Jones.

To your point of takedowns being defended by Reyes it was worth noting that Jon Jones attempted no takedowns in the second round at all.

When you have some time I suggest rewatching round 2, it had its competitive moments yes but Jones was walking Reyes down for a majority of that round.

Reyes won those first three rounds. Anyone that argues otherwise is seeing what they want to see. He landed more strikes, and he landed more effective strikes, and he did more damage. Try to spin that any way you want to.
People with IQs below 80 can have the judging criteria explained to them but they aren't capable of multi factor cognition. Logical thought processes don't even start.

It's like explaining algebra to a dog, their little brains are only capable of reactive low level behavior. Complex concepts including octagon control being negligible means nothing to them as they can't understand it.

On rewatch I gave Jones a pretty convincing 49-46
<Bottle.gif>

Nah I'm pretty good at it

I could also see 1,2,3 for Reyes but you have a much more difficult time making that argument
So no robbery bud
I’ve been waiting since Saturday night for anyone to say anything smart on this forum , kudos to you

People with IQs below 80 can have the judging criteria explained to them but they aren't capable of multi factor cognition. Logical thought processes don't even start.

It's like explaining algebra to a dog, their little brains are only capable of reactive low level behavior. Complex concepts including octagon control being negligible means nothing to them as they can't understand it.

{<jordan}

Back