On rewatch I gave Jones a pretty convincing 49-46

You could make a good argument that in rounds 2 and 3 the cleanest hardest shots were Reyes counter uppercuts while moving back. He also dedicated and scored on some lovely bodywork in those rounds

But it's not enough to win the round in this case imo

The uppercut he landed in round 2 was one of the cleanest shots he landed in the whole fight but even then, it’s hard to win when you are backing up, and Jones was working too, landing his kicks and a few really nice jabs. No doubt it was a very competitive contest at times, a fight can be competitive and still have a clear winner, this fight was the perfect example of that.

If you look closely. Jones arguably won round 6 as well. People need to stop saying Reyes was raped. In fact Jones is known for stopping rapers in the alley.

Anyone who has Jones losing any of the last 4 rounds are seeing what they want to see. A fight is judged on way more than strikes, especially when the difference is marginal at best. Try and spin that anyway you want to.
The first three rounds were contested entirely on the feet, which means effective striking is the number one criteria. I didn't think the average IQ around here could've gotten lower than it was ten years ago, boy was I wrong.

I had called the 49-46 jones prior to the fight ending. It isnt absurd at all. The hate for Jones and gobbling up Rogan's every word is really influencing the narrative.

Jones 49-46 easy call

Considering you're known for getting literally every prediction wrong, this is just proof that Reyes won

50-43 Jones.

And for anyone giving Reyes only round 1, realize rounds 2 & 3 were his best rounds. He outlanded Jones by 6 in the 1st, by 11 in the 2nd, by 7 in the 3rd & stuffed all takedowns those rounds which kept the fight on the feet where Jones didn't want it. Or he wouldn't have been trying to take Reyes down.

The first three rounds were contested entirely on the feet, which means effective striking is the number one criteria. I didn't think the average IQ around here could've gotten lower than it was ten years ago, boy was I wrong.
They were contested entirety on the feet because Reyes wouldn't let Jones take him down. I don't see why Reyes doesn't get credit for that from anyone.

Even if the striking numbers were dead even, not only Did Reyes land cleaner, He was the one dictating where the fight was.

Just rewatched Diego vs. Pearson. Yup still a robbery.

I'll just make a thread about it.

After watching the fight a few times again I also can see a case for the 49-46.

Round 1 is honestly the only clear round for Reyes.

Rounds 4 and 5 were clearly Jon’s rounds.

Reyes had his competitive moments of course, but he was also missing a lot of his strikes, in round 2 Jones avoided the majority of Reyes strikes and when he reset he owned the center for basically the whole round.

And round 3 was very competitive and could have gone either way.

MMA fans are not appreciating Jon Jones defense he displayed in this fight.
He defended well but he didn't put forth a very impressive offense. In terms of impactful strikes Reyes took the first 3 clearly in my eyes. If you want to argue round 3...sure I can kinda wrap my head around that. But the first 2 were very clearly Reyes in my eyes because he was outlanding Jon, stopping all of his TDs, landing harder strikes, and forcing Jon to retreat on multiple exchanges.

After a few times looking back at it I still don't see how you can spin round 2 for Jon. But that's just me.

2,3,4 and 5

With a swing round in 3 that could have gone either way or perhaps been a 10-10

Robbery? Not at all, me thinks
This whole robbery thing just has to go----- I personally think Dana coming out at fights end and saying he thought Dom won 1st 3 rounds has really expedited this narrative. Dana is president and face of UFC but he just a man with an opinion just like everyone else. I have not re watched fight and I would NEVER let somebody like Dana ( or anyone else for that matter) turn me into a " me too" person. The integrity of my character would be damaged and thsts not happening.

That said, only watched fight live and I thought 5th round would decide an obvious close fight. Jon 's corner threw the correct verbiage his way in between rounds and we saw a champion go out and take care of business. Jones 48-47 but fight was so close that I wouldnt have problem ( upon the 1 time I only watched) if it went other way.

This "robbery" shit, again, has gots to go

They were contested entirety on the feet because Reyes wouldn't let Jones take him down. I don't see why Reyes doesn't get credit for that from anyone.

Even if the striking numbers were dead even, not only Did Reyes land cleaner, He was the one dictating where the fight was.
Alright, that's fair, but my point is that effective striking and grappling is the priority criteria. So if the fights on the feet, and one guy is landing better strikes, that's the guy winning. It doesn't matter if he's more aggressive or the ring general or whatever. That stuff only counts in the margins when you can't decide who's landing more effective strikes. Reyes had volume and damage.

This whole robbery thing just has to go----- I personally think Dana coming out at fights end and saying he thought Dom won 1st 3 rounds has really expedited this narrative. Dana is president and face of UFC but he just a man with an opinion just like everyone else. I have not re watched fight and I would NEVER let somebody like Dana ( or anyone else for that matter) turn me into a " me too" person. The integrity of my character would be damaged and thsts not happening.

That said, only watched fight live and I thought 5th round would decide an obvious close fight. Jon 's corner threw the correct verbiage his way in between rounds and we saw a champion go out and take care of business. Jones 48-47 but fight was so close that I wouldnt have problem ( upon the 1 time I only watched) if it went other way.

This "robbery" shit, again, has gots to go
Good post and I felt identical after seeing it the first time

Reyes landed more strikes and the harder shots in the first 3 rounds, stuffed every takedown, and had Jones retreating multiple times..

But Jones wins because Hur Dur octagon control..

<{nope}>

Alright, that's fair, but my point is that effective striking and grappling is the priority criteria. So if the fights on the feet, and one guy is landing better strikes, that's the guy winning. It doesn't matter if he's more aggressive or the ring general or whatever. That stuff only counts in the margins when you can't decide who's landing more effective strikes. Reyes had volume and damage.
I agree. I'm just pointing out that Reyes had more effective striking AND grappling the first 3 rounds. Because if getting a takedown scores points, how the heck doesn't stuffing takedowns?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

He defended well but he didn't put forth a very impressive offense. In terms of impactful strikes Reyes took the first 3 clearly in my eyes. If you want to argue round 3...sure I can kinda wrap my head around that. But the first 2 were very clearly Reyes in my eyes because he was outlanding Jon, stopping all of his TDs, landing harder strikes, and forcing Jon to retreat on multiple exchanges.

After a few times looking back at it I still don't see how you can spin round 2 for Jon. But that's just me.

He forced Jon to reset in the first minute of round 2, but in the process of doing so Reyes did not land a whole lot of his strikes. When Jon reset he controlled the range of the majority of the last 3 minutes or so of that round while using leg kicks and he landed a few real clean jabs and landed some clean shots of his own, it was not as though Reyes was outclassing Jones in round 2, and with Jones effectively defending the majority of Reyes offense as well as owning the center of the octagon for a majority of the round, that is why I slightly leaned in Jones favor in round 2.

And keep in mind this fight was contested under the old unified rules were there were more aspects going into how fights were scored.

Texas Scoring Criteria (old criteria):
(d) Scoring Techniques.

(1) Using the 10-Point Must Scoring System, judges are required to determine a winner of a contest that ends after the scheduled number of rounds have been completed. Ten points must be awarded to the winner of each round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored a 10-10.

(2) Judges must evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, fighting area control, and effective aggressiveness/defense.

Back